ESPN SouthEast Burning Questions: Atlanta Hawks

HawkItus

I think Millsap is a better player overall than Smith, and I think our offense will be more defined now. I don't think we will run as much without Devin and Josh, but I think we will play a lot of inside-out basketball, trying to get something inside with Paul or Al, and kicking it out to Korver and Jenkins when the defense collapses. I also see Lou Williams being our go-to scorer down the stretch when he comes back, which was what we really needed in the playoffs last season.

• Like 1

They cite losing shot block numbers as the biggest defensive loss with Smith v. Milsap. But I think shot blocks are way overrated. I would much rather have a steal. Since you actually get the ball, and often have a chance to score quickly. Shot blocking is more of a "show off" play, esp. when they spike the ball out of bounds - in which case the other team gets the ball back. Even if the ball stays in bounds half the time they other side gets it back. So - I don't think we lose that much on defense, though can't really say I've followed Milsap enough to know what he brings. We all know what Josh brought on the offensive end.

• Like 1

• Moderators

They cite losing shot block numbers as the biggest defensive loss with Smith v. Milsap. But I think shot blocks are way overrated. I would much rather have a steal. Since you actually get the ball, and often have a chance to score quickly. Shot blocking is more of a "show off" play, esp. when they spike the ball out of bounds - in which case the other team gets the ball back. Even if the ball stays in bounds half the time they other side gets it back. So - I don't think we lose that much on defense, though can't really say I've followed Milsap enough to know what he brings. We all know what Josh brought on the offensive end.

One for one, you would always much rather have a steal than a block. Blocks sometimes have the advantage of getting opponents to take worse shots, though. A guy like Deke wasn't just valuable for his actual blocks - it was the number of plays where guys pulled up for jumpers instead of going to the hole or had to adjust from a high % to a low % shot to avoid getting blocked. Those secondary benefits of great shot blockers don't show up in the 'blocked shots' stats but they may be more valuable than the actual blocks.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Speaking of trying to make up for losses at the 4/3 spot, has anyone heard of what's going on with Mike Scott? Seems like signing him to a contract would be a no brainer but everywhere I look I can't find anything.

He's on a non-guaranteed contract I think. Somebody will correct me but i believe he can't sign anywhere else unless we waive him which we might do in training camp but i doubt it.

One for one, you would always much rather have a steal than a block. Blocks sometimes have the advantage of getting opponents to take worse shots, though. A guy like Deke wasn't just valuable for his actual blocks - it was the number of plays where guys pulled up for jumpers instead of going to the hole or had to adjust from a high % to a low % shot to avoid getting blocked. Those secondary benefits of great shot blockers don't show up in the 'blocked shots' stats but they may be more valuable than the actual blocks.

Agree about a great shot blocking post players ability to stop or change an opponents move to the basket. Whereas Deke was in the post doing just that; Josh was not that player most times. Josh does chase or charge after opponents to change or block their shots but he is no where near as effective as a true post defender.

This is one of the reasons we will not miss Josh as much as some would think. Though Millsap may not get the gaudy block#s that Josh does, he does play a better traditional role of post defense. Millsap is a wide body, who blocks out, and holds his position very well. Now add in his better offensive post game and Paul is a overall upgrade on both ends of the floor.

I did want a center to replace Josh. But if we could not get that done, we did the next best thing in Millsap. I am also a big fan of Anyon and like his chances of making a solid impact as our future backup center. I know of a few knowledgeable fans that think Anyon and Millsap were both great steals this off season.

I agree with the posts about affecting shots being more valuable than the actual number of blocks. Another advantage someone like Josh brought was allowing Horford to play differently. He could front a player knowing Josh could help defend the rim.

Excitement!

Blocked Shots!

The Highlight Factory!

Fans on their feet, cheering for J Smoove. Dang, we're going to miss this.

3 pointers, taken and missed. Occasionally, a hit.

Low % hits on long 2 pointers (Hear the groans).

Argument with the ref. while team mates play 4 on 5 defense.

Watching J Smoove as he sinks 50% of his free throws. Dang, we're going to miss this.

Everyone sees the shot blocker and his work. He may intimidate any one going inside.

Meanwhile, that sure handed rebounder who blocks out and does his thing, including

securing the rebound and changing the possession, hardly gets a notice. Both have

their rewards but remember, you can't score if your opponent has the ball. And, if

he continues shooting, sooner or later it's going in.

Sometimes, change is good. Perhaps Millsaps and Smith will both profit from their moves.

GO HAWKS!

• Moderators

Meanwhile, that sure handed rebounder who blocks out and does his thing, including

securing the rebound and changing the possession, hardly gets a notice. Both have

their rewards but remember, you can't score if your opponent has the ball. And, if

he continues shooting, sooner or later it's going in.

Josh has been a better rebounder than Millsap in recent years in terms of (a) raw numbers; (b) per minute numbers; and © rebounding %s. I don't expect much change in rebounding in this transition.

• Moderators

Josh has been a better rebounder than Millsap in recent years in terms of (a) raw numbers; (b) per minute numbers; and © rebounding %s. I don't expect much change in rebounding in this transition.

Seems like Millsap is a better offensive rebounder though and with Horford shooting a lot of mid range jumpers having the PF hunting the rebound rather than being at the 3 point line should really help. On the defensive end though Josh has been great.

• Premium Member

I was going to say the same thing. It's not the block so much as it is the presence. When a shot blocker is on the court, the game is noticeably different. In the case of Deke, it was a completely different game when he was on the bench. He just shut the lane down.

Josh was on his way to being that kind of player too. I guess he just wanted so badly to be something else. To me, that's coaching and maturity. Sometimes, you have to listen to what people tell you that you're good at because you're too close to it to see it for yourself. As a coach, you have to be the one to see it - and make sure you groom a player properly.