• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA GMs comments on deliberate tanking

Jody23

Whatever. This GM couldn't make the moves to make the team better. The Rockets were a middle of the row team and their GM managed to make them relevant again. What superstars have the Kicks and Nets drafted in recent history? Nobody. They built the team through free agency and some decent draft picks.

Tanking is a crap shoot. You're basically gambling on the next superstar and may not get it. What does this GM do when he doesn't win the lottery and still doesn't have the skills to build the team up? What happens if he drafts a superstar that leaves in free agency because he still couldn't build a decent team to support them? I'll tell you what. He tanks again, creates a loosing mentality within the franchise, and destroys the fan base.

No thank you. That's not what I'd want from a GM.

The Rockets were in the lower part of the lottery in 2010 through 2012. You can't even compare what they did in comparison to what this team is trying to do. They stayed flexible while being in the lottery. This team ain't even trying to do that.

The Nets and the Knicks live in New York. They will always have a free agency advantage over the Hawks. You can't correleate those New York teams with Atlanta.

Come on man, your not realistic about the situation Atlanta is in.

• Like 1

The Rockets were in the lower part of the lottery in 2010 through 2012. You can't even compare what they did in comparison to what this team is trying to do. They stayed flexible while being in the lottery. This team ain't even trying to do that.

The Nets and the Knicks live in New York. They will always have a free agency advantage over the Hawks. You can't correleate those New York teams with Atlanta.

Come on man, your not realistic about the situation Atlanta is in.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you want a GM who isn't ready to throw in the towel and "tank". I understand that if your team sucks, they suck, and you'll get a chance to get a good pick but it still isn't guaranteed. If your team is decent, and you're a good GM, you can manage the team well enough to improve on it.

If I was an owner listing to a GM explain that he was out of options and that we needed to buy a lottery ticket to get ourselves out of a mess (which also included another 6 to 8 year rebuilding process), he'd probably be looking for a new job in short order.

Here's another little story of a team that managed to get a superstar without actually being in the lottery:

In 1996 the LA Lakers were well out of the lottery with the 24th pick in the draft. They were very keen on a young player named Kobe Bryant. The Lakers anticipated that Kobe would fall to the mid-first round so they traded Vlade Divac for the Charlotte Hornets 13th pick and selected Kobe. The rest is history.

The last time we tanked we got Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams and Acie Law and Chilz. Three or four guys no longer in the NBA (or close to it.)

The only good player we got was Horford. Josh was a 17th pick I think and Jeff was around 20 or so. We could have gotten either one of them without tanking.

• Like 1

The last time we tanked we got Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams and Acie Law and Chilz. Three or four guys no longer in the NBA (or close to it.)

The only good player we got was Horford. Josh was a 17th pick I think and Jeff was around 20 or so. We could have gotten either one of them without tanking.

You are overlooking who we passed over in those slots. One thing to say we didn't select them but you wouldn't have had a shot at any of them without being in the top of the lottery.

I agree...and I'm kind of gun-shy about tanking because of that. Thing is, it pretty much all depends on the quality of the upcoming draft. We are at a point these days where they know talent WAY ahead of time (granted there are no absolute guarrantees).

Still...if all the "experts" (and this doesn't include BK or Bilas) - say that there are 5 or 6 top quality draft picks in the upcoming draft - you have to adapt to that. Sure - even if you have the worst record in the league - you only have a 25% chance at getting the top pick. But if there are that many guys who may very well be game-changer type players...and if you have the 3rd worst record...you are pretty much guarranteed the 5th pick at worst.

It's simple math and the depth of the pool. What doesn't make sense most years, actually makes sense in certain years.

Top level GMs understand this and adapt to situations.

Of course you could say that top level GMs would never be in this situation...but...

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

That secret GM is Danny Ainge, that rat. I hope celts and sixers don't get 1-3 picks...Adam silver will hand choose a team, there is no lottery that's all bs. If you believe there is a lottery ur fooling urself.

That secret GM is Danny Ainge, that rat. I hope celts and sixers don't get 1-3 picks...Adam silver will hand choose a team, there is no lottery that's all bs. If you believe there is a lottery ur fooling urself.

Lets hope its the Hawks then. We are a market with much more potential than our attendance records show.

If the draft is so good why can't a game changer for us fall within 15-20 where we will likely be picking?

In that Marvin draft you had Paul, Williams, Bogut, and Bynum all lotto picks and game changers on some level. Bogut not on the level of the others but he is still a huge piece when healthy. Danny Granger was picked 17th he was a all-star before falling off.

In the Lebron draft you got Lebron, Melo, DWade, Bosh, then you had Chris Kaman who was like 3 steps below them. The rest of the lotto was nothing to write home about then you got David West at 18 who has been a all-star and huge piece for teams.

Point being if you get 4 true game changers out of the lotto your doing great, but you can't forget the other 10 and act like its not a major crap shoot. Let's not forget how hyped Harrison Barnes, OJ Mayo, Perry Jones, and a host of others were. I don't think you throw away a whole season for a shot at 4 players.

I would rather play the year out and try to select another Schröder since most here seem to be so in love with him. Someone will be there that can really help us at that 15-20 range we just have to find him

Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 2

A business doesn't run on one year results. You must plan and invest in the outcome that you want to acheive. If it takes two years of investment at a loss to get 5 years at a higher profit, you do it. In the NBA a break even season is a loss. The NBA wants winners, big winners. All of the others are the food chain.

• Like 1

I was looking at winning and losing not monetary profit. As far as I'm concerned as a fan, I could care less about their dollars except in how it affects the macro economy, which affects me. As a basketball fan, I want the Hawks to win, to beat all the others. I'm so tired of the no matter how good we get, there will always be that handfull of teams that will eternally kick our butt. Hate it

When you tank though, what do you do? Get rid of Horford? Have potential players on your roster experience a lost year and not grow as they could? Have even less of a "Market" to attract quality free-agents?

To maybe get a Wiggins? Who is no where near the quality a Horford already has, and with a little bad luck you might as well be tanking for a half decade to reach playoffs again.

I dont think Atlanta is that bad a market. Its no LA, or NY, but Atlanta isnt Milwaukee or Portland either. Its in the middle of the pack and it should work and hustle to become an attractive franchise for star players, which I think the city of Atlanta already is. Everybody, specially black people have a soft spot for Atlanta. Its not the worst place to be.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I been a fan since 86...I can think of 2 or 3 years I've wanted to tank. 1992 (shaq zo) 1996 (overdone Kobe) 2003(Lebron wade) and this would be the 4th year. I WANT A 1-8 pick...ID LOVE A TOP 3, but accept top 8.I just hope the rigged lotto system realizes that the NBA could make a lot of money with a superstar in Atlanta. Every other damn big city has one, why not us.

I would add the Celtics in as model that we could follow. They were a bad team that kept picking in the middle part of the lottery for several years. They got Pierce, Joe Johnson, Walker, and several other guys from those picks. Ainge then turns those pieces around and builds the Celtics of the last few years. Thus, Houston wasn't the first team to try what they are doing, they are simply the most recent. The key to the Celtic/Houston approach is patience and setting yourself up to seize the opportunity when it arises.

• Like 1

Not to mention the fact that it took a colossal mistake (arguably) by an otherwise good GM for Harden to even be available.

No one should cite Houston as some blueprint for us to follow.

This is the new CBA and it's penalties that made OKC choose between Ibaka and Harden.

• Premium Member

The article was written on the opinion of a LOSER, and in my mind anyone who would cheer for the Hawks to lose should just get on LeBron's or Durant's or Harden's or even Kobe's bandwagon. These guys doesn't look like REAL Hawks fans to me.

Apologies for the ones who get insulted by my opinion, but it is what it is, just a one man's opinion.

Posted Image

Edited by BrazilianHawk