• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Agree or Disagree with me: The only way a team can reach/win the Finals without a Superstar is to_________

Bonkers

The ONLY way to reach the Finals and win without a Superstar on ur team is to play HALL OF FAME SUFFOCATING DEFENSE & of course have great teamwork

And that is the absolute truth. I'm talking about playing 2004 Detroit Pistons Defense. That's the only way!

If this team can eventually become a Defensive Juggernaut then I can honestly say I can see us making it to the Finals

Do yall agree or disagree with me? And tell me why

Oh and shouts out to Teague with a big game

Edited by Bonkers

I think that Pistons team was the exception to the rule. I will say that the difference between the Hawks missing the playoffs and making it this year is Jeff Teague. Dude has been impressive.

U mean the Pistons are the exception to the rule that u have to have a superstar? Well yea...and they made the finls the next year becuz of terrific D and great teamwork. I'm just saying that is the only way this team can reach the finals

And Jeff has been impressive. Hopefully he can be our Chauncey Billups if u know what I mean lol

• Premium Member

U mean the Pistons are the exception to the rule that u have to have a superstar? Well yea...and they made the finls the next year becuz of terrific D and great teamwork. I'm just saying that is the only way this team can reach the finals And Jeff has been impressive. Hopefully he can be our Chauncey Billups if u know what I mean lol

Right but this Hawks team doesn't defend or rebound well enough to contend with the big boys. This group would defenitely need a star player to give them a shot.

Right but this Hawks team doesn't defend or rebound well enough to contend with the big boys. This group would defenitely need a star player to give them a shot.

Exactly which is why I'm saying that Bud will have to build this team into a defensive juggernaut becuz I do not we are going to get a superstar to come to this team

And winning the title without a superstar WOULD BE SOOOOO SATISFYING TO ME

Why not? I know it's only 9 games in but we are seeing a side of Jeff we have never seen. I said if we can get a level of CONSISTENCY from Jeff we would be in good hands going forward.

His defense still needs work.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

the 2004 pistons had one of the greatest defenses of ALL TIME. We will never see a defense like the pistons ever again, their defense would be straight up illegal in today's nba. There defense was so good that stern had to add the hand checking rule cause they were consistently holding teams to 70 points and making games almost unwatchable. Posted Image

I do agree with your point though the "defense" has to be our superstar. If we are going to go far without a superstar. We gotta adopt the grizzlies/pacers model.

• Like 1

the 2004 pistons had one of the greatest defenses of ALL TIME. We will never see a defense like the pistons ever again, their defense would be straight up illegal in today's nba. There defense was so good that stern had to add the hand checking rule cause they were consistently holding teams to 70 points and making games almost unwatchable. Posted Image

I do agree with your point though the "defense" has to be our superstar. If we are going to go far without a superstar. We gotta adopt the grizzlies/pacers model.

Exactly!!!

And yea the Pistons had a Juggernaut Defense, stern had to stop em lol. They were that damn good

Edited by Bonkers

U mean the Pistons are the exception to the rule that u have to have a superstar? Well yea...and they made the finls the next year becuz of terrific D and great teamwork. I'm just saying that is the only way this team can reach the finals

And Jeff has been impressive. Hopefully he can be our Chauncey Billups if u know what I mean lol

I think Indy can get there and I would not call any of their players superstars. Not like the Wades, Brons, Kobes, Durants,and Shaqs are/were. Memphis almost pulled it off and they don't have a superstar.

So I agree, it can be done and we are not far off.

Edited by Buzzard

Spurs are the favorite to win the West this year and would anyone consider Duncan to be a superstar at his age this year? 12-7 shooting 39% FG. Tony Parker is carrying that team this year with the help of role players (Kawhi, Diaw, Ginobli, Green). I really think we are adopting the right model to build a contender with.

I think the NBA is getting tighter; and with every new free agent season players will move. I know there are some players who will take a cut for their home team; or to go become a big three. More players than not though want their pay days when they can get them.

New CBA, bigger taxes, more player movement to come. End of story.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

The ONLY way to reach the Finals and win without a Superstar on ur team is to play HALL OF FAME SUFFOCATING DEFENSE & of course have great teamwork

And that is the absolute truth. I'm talking about playing 2004 Detroit Pistons Defense. That's the only way!

If this team can eventually become a Defensive Juggernaut then I can honestly say I can see us making it to the Finals

Do yall agree or disagree with me? And tell me why

Oh and shouts out to Teague with a big game

I disagree. It's a matter of truth vs. perceived truth.

This is the truth. Every team can play some defense. But even the best defensive team has to be able to score. The Piston that won the championship the last time didn't win simply because they were a good defensive team. They won because they were more cohesive than everybody else. They won against a bickering Laker team. That Laker team should have won that series easily. However, Kobe had called Shaq out in public about his "affairs" trying to keep his own affair under cover... and that team just didn't get along.

Everybody runs to the Pistons as a great defensive team. What about The 76ers that made it to the finals and lost to the Lakers. Deke's 76ers. They were a great defensive team. They were probably better than the Pistons in all points. However, they showed you why great defense alone won't win it. You have to have good offense to win a championship.

The thing about the superstar led teams is that they know who gets the ball in crunch time. For the past couple of years, Lebron and company has been handed the championship. They were given the championship as a gift... but the one thing about them is that in the crunch, they're going to Lebron and the win rest on his shoulders.... even if he needs Allen to bail him out.

SO how can you do it without a superstar...

You have to have a strong cohesive offense, just enough defense, and a reffing squad that is not going for the other team. Look at the Weber led Kings a few years back. They should have won 2 championships. However, the refs were not with them. Portland had a team that should have won.. but the refs were calling unprecedented calls to eliminate them. Ferry creating a squad of good guys who can score and play just enough defense is great... because whether it's offense or defense, you need that separation between point differential. Offense is the easiest way to get there because everybody plays some defense.

Specifically for us, if we want to get there, we need some rebounder to go with our offensive/defensive pieces.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

If the Hawks had the right rebounder/defender... and we could win the rebounding war every night, the media would create a superstar that is already on this team. Like Paul George.

• Like 1

I disagree. It's a matter of truth vs. perceived truth.

This is the truth. Every team can play some defense. But even the best defensive team has to be able to score. The Piston that won the championship the last time didn't win simply because they were a good defensive team. They won because they were more cohesive than everybody else. They won against a bickering Laker team. That Laker team should have won that series easily. However, Kobe had called Shaq out in public about his "affairs" trying to keep his own affair under cover... and that team just didn't get along.

Everybody runs to the Pistons as a great defensive team. What about The 76ers that made it to the finals and lost to the Lakers. Deke's 76ers. They were a great defensive team. They were probably better than the Pistons in all points. However, they showed you why great defense alone won't win it. You have to have good offense to win a championship.

The thing about the superstar led teams is that they know who gets the ball in crunch time. For the past couple of years, Lebron and company has been handed the championship. They were given the championship as a gift... but the one thing about them is that in the crunch, they're going to Lebron and the win rest on his shoulders.... even if he needs Allen to bail him out.

SO how can you do it without a superstar...

You have to have a strong cohesive offense, just enough defense, and a reffing squad that is not going for the other team. Look at the Weber led Kings a few years back. They should have won 2 championships. However, the refs were not with them. Portland had a team that should have won.. but the refs were calling unprecedented calls to eliminate them. Ferry creating a squad of good guys who can score and play just enough defense is great... because whether it's offense or defense, you need that separation between point differential. Offense is the easiest way to get there because everybody plays some defense.

Specifically for us, if we want to get there, we need some rebounder to go with our offensive/defensive pieces.

Whoa whoa whoa where did I say that offense is NOT important. And I did not say that the Pistons won the Title JUST becuz of their defense

U wrote all that becuz u misread my post lol