• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And there goes my worst nightmare. $100 million to a .260 hitter with only 20 HRs. McCann signs with Yankees

Admin

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10026267/brian-mccann-agrees-five-year-85-million-deal-new-york-yankees

NEW YORK -- After wooing Brian McCann during a visit to the Bronx this week, the New York Yankees have agreed to a five-year, $85 million contract with the catcher that includes a vesting option for a sixth season that could push the total to $100 million, a source has told ESPNNewYork.com.

Besides their own free agent, Robinson Cano, the Yankees made McCann one of their main priorities this winter. The Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox were two of the handful of teams interested in McCann. The Rangers were told earlier Saturday that McCann would not be signing with them, according to ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett.

The deal is pending a physical.

The Yankees were aggressive with McCann as they consider him the first phase in an offseason plan in which they hope to go on a free-agent shopping spree, while also lowering their payroll to less than $189 million. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has made this a goal for the franchise because he wants to take advantage of the luxury tax and revenue sharing savings that ducking under the figure would allow them to do.

Earlier this week, McCann and Abbott visited the Yankees and a source said the Yankees were "aggressively" trying to lock him up.

McCann's agent, B.B. Abbott, told ESPNNewYork.com in the middle of the week that McCann, 29, was willing to do a deal quickly if the right one presented itself.

Last winter, the Yankees declined to sign Russell Martin and instead went with a combination ofChris Stewart, Francisco Cervelli and Austin Romine. They feel McCann's power would play very well with Yankee Stadium's short right-field porch. He can DH and possibly transition to first base at the end of a multiyear contract.

McCann hit .257 with 20 homers and 56 RBIs in 2013.

The Yankees' next top target could be Carlos Beltran, whom they prefer slightly over the other free-agent outfielders because he figures to receive a shorter term contract. They also are interested in outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Jacoby Ellsbury.

If Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka is posted, the Yankees plan on making a major bid for him.

They can have him for that price tag.

I've been praying that we wouldn't spend that kind of coin on him but as usual Cashman overreacts to poor production from the catcher position offensively so he drastically overpays for a guy who's a medicore defensive catcher and has trouble staying healthy. Only positive is that we can get out after 5 years, he's only going to be 30 next year, and he can DH play 1st base.

• Like 2

They're saying he could hit 40 hrs plsying half his games at Yankee stadium. Apparently he's the best pull hitter for power in the game. His spray chart is extrely heavy to deep right. McCann says he is happy playing at 1b from time to time and DHng so hopefully that helps him not have such poor 2nd halves to the season. If he helps our pitchers and stats healthy he may end up being worth 17 million per season but I dunno. They say in 2017 he will move to 1b full time to replace Tex and at that point if he works out he'd be on a good deal for a 1b.

They're saying he could hit 40 hrs plsying half his games at Yankee stadium. Apparently he's the best pull hitter for power in the game. His spray chart is extrely heavy to deep right. McCann says he is happy playing at 1b from time to time and DHng so hopefully that helps him not have such poor 2nd halves to the season. If he helps our pitchers and stats healthy he may end up being worth 17 million per season but I dunno. They say in 2017 he will move to 1b full time to replace Tex and at that point if he works out he'd be on a good deal for a 1b.

That short porch in right field is going to benefit him ALOT. Next year I predict he has his first 30 homerun season. This was a smart signing. Only problem with it is that they gave him too many years and alot of $$$.

• Like 1

That short porch in right field is going to benefit him ALOT. Next year I predict he has his first 30 homerun season. This was a smart signing. Only problem with it is that they gave him too many years and alot of $$$.

5 years isn't bad for a guy who will only be 30 next year. Jorge Posada played very well for us until he was 37. The 6th year is a team option so that's not bad. My real concern is how many games he's missed every year but they think they can help him with that by having someone catch for him every few games to save his body. But he's got over 1000 games at catcher already and that's a lot on a body. Check out this chart and realize right field in Yankee stadium is 20 feet closer!

Posted Image

This just goes to show you how much teams value power hitting catchers as there aren't many in the game.

Welcome home, Christian Bethancourt?

He will likely start the season in the minors and probably remain there. Earliest we may see him is in June. There is the injury factor that have him called up. It is best to leave him in the minors and let him play regularly. Braves got Gattis and Laird at Catching. They will be fine.

He continually pulls balls dows the RF line.

That crack box stadium will be good for him. He could hit 35-40 HRs if he can stay healthy enough to play 150 games. I think a more reasonable expectation would be 30 HRs.

He goes on hot streaks every year and then gets a side injury or shoulder injury that limits his swing. He is a grinder and plays through but his BA and HR totals take a major hit. If he could stay healthy for 1 full season he could definately be a .300 / 30 HR guy.

His best attribute is leadership. He is a natural leader. He will police the locker room and other teams for that matter. A couple of different occaisons last year some of the young Latino players would act like thugs after hitting a home run when running the bases. (Of course we all know they were raised playing this way in a different culture). McCann would block home plate and stand toe to toe / eye to eye with them and let them know that is not how we do it in MLB. Of course the benches cleared both times but the other team would simply be there to hold their hot headed young player back b/c they knew McCann was in the right. You can do that trash in Mexico or Puerto Rico all you want...........but not here. I think on both occaisons the hot headed Latino player apologized after the game. That is what I love most about McCann.

On this occaison Gomez had a beef with Malhalon over being hit by pitch in a previous game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HckouWn7Mg4

Here is the Jose Hernandez incident vs. the Marlins. You can skip to the 1:40 to see the good part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9vMv4e-Vw

• Moderators

Honestly I think McCann is just a natural hitter and I expect him to have a big year. I think you'll be surprised how well he hits when he isn't catching everyday. My biggest issue with him has been his fitness level. To me a catcher needs to stay as trim as possible. The more weight you have crouching down like that the harder it is on your legs and then there goes your swing. But that's just my ignorant theory.

If money isn't an issue for the Yanks then i think they'll get at least a couple big years from Mac.

He continually pulls balls dows the RF line.

That crack box stadium will be good for him. He could hit 35-40 HRs if he can stay healthy enough to play 150 games. I think a more reasonable expectation would be 30 HRs.

He goes on hot streaks every year and then gets a side injury or shoulder injury that limits his swing. He is a grinder and plays through but his BA and HR totals take a major hit. If he could stay healthy for 1 full season he could definately be a .300 / 30 HR guy.

His best attribute is leadership. He is a natural leader. He will police the locker room and other teams for that matter. A couple of different occaisons last year some of the young Latino players would act like thugs after hitting a home run when running the bases. (Of course we all know they were raised playing this way in a different culture). McCann would block home plate and stand toe to toe / eye to eye with them and let them know that is not how we do it in MLB. Of course the benches cleared both times but the other team would simply be there to hold their hot headed young player back b/c they knew McCann was in the right. You can do that trash in Mexico or Puerto Rico all you want...........but not here. I think on both occaisons the hot headed Latino player apologized after the game. That is what I love most about McCann.

On this occaison Gomez had a beef with Malhalon over being hit by pitch in a previous game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HckouWn7Mg4

Here is the Jose Hernandez incident vs. the Marlins. You can skip to the 1:40 to see the good part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9vMv4e-Vw

The one thing I really like about McCann that I've heard is that he's intense and he will bring a different dynamic that was missing this year to the Yankees clubhouse. He's definitely a vocal leader and we need that bad.

Honestly I think McCann is just a natural hitter and I expect him to have a big year. I think you'll be surprised how well he hits when he isn't catching everyday. My biggest issue with him has been his fitness level. To me a catcher needs to stay as trim as possible. The more weight you have crouching down like that the harder it is on your legs and then there goes your swing. But that's just my ignorant theory.

If money isn't an issue for the Yanks then i think they'll get at least a couple big years from Mac.

He does look a little pudgy, but that never hurt 'Pudge' so maybe it will work out well in the AL getting time at DH every 3rd or 4th game.

Nah this doesn't mean Cano won't be back. The Yankees are posturing and I bet they give him 8 years and 190ish million before it's all said and done.

If the Yankees do that, then they're setting themselves up for failure. In the next 3-4 years, the Yankees are going to be stuck with 3 bad contracts, and a depleted farm system. They will be the MLB's Brooklyn Nets.