• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

MLS to ATL?

bird_dirt

Just watching the MLS Cup and wondering if anyone has heard any news/rumors about the supposed MLS soccer team Blank is trying to get to Atlanta. Seems it is all but guaranteed as it can get without an official announcement.

I heard the plan is for the team to share the new Falcons stadium. Anyone know anything else? Any names getting tossed out there? Will they basically absorb the Atlanta Silverbacks brand, or keep two separate pro soccer teams in the same town?

I enjoy watching the occassional match when I can catch one on TV, but don't have any particular team I pull for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Last I heard it was Blank's to turn down. He was still deciding if it would work. MLS teams are apparently pretty expensive now.

The stupid new stadium is going to be artificial turf though. Damn can we do anything right in this town. Why have a retractable roof for a artificial turf field? In the damn south for goodness sake. Anyway, i'm suprised MLS would go for this. I know they prefer smaller stadiums and soccer on turf suuuucks.

Falcons should have gone to Doraville, built a grass turf field to have Falcons and MLS. Braves should have stayed at the Ted and added a rail line over. Possibly street cars. All this would have been cheaper and better than the Snafu of the last year in Atlanta stadiums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mlscup/2013/news/article/2013/12/03/commissioner-don-garber-miami-and-atlanta-race-become-22nd-23rd-teams-mls

Quote from the comissioner of the MLS on Atlanta:

On potential expansion in Atlanta:
"In Atlanta, we are making progress in our discussion with Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons … We need to be in the Southeast and I think if we can continue to advance our discussions positively with Arthur and the Falcons we hope to be able to get a situation finalized."

On potential stadium technology in Atlanta's expansion bid:
"With Atlanta we have finalized a stadium situation there. We’ve been working on a downsizing technology we think will be unique and will be the only one of its kind anywhere in the world. We’ll need to continue to work hard with Atlanta to see if this whole project makes sense for them. But I’m encouraged by the discussions and hope to be able to finalize something."

I'd support the team.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Downsizing? that means hanging a bunch of curtains in the upper deck and playing in the new georgia dome on artificial turf. Why can't we have nice things. Reconfig turner field or something but MLS in a football stadium on artificial turf is pretty much what we know doesn't ever work right? I'm no expert by any means. I'm still pissed we are basically going to have another indoor, artificial turf stadium for a billion plus dollars.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Atlanta-confirmed-as-Major-League-Soccers-next-expansion-market.html

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation have confirmed to me that Atlanta will be officially awarded MLS’ 22nd franchise later this month.

Although a spokesperson for the league said that a formal agreement has not yet been finalized, I’ve heard [separately] that a public announcement could come very soon. One source targeted April 16 as a date to watch for official confirmation.

The team will be run in association with the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons, whose owner, Arthur Blank, has been in negotiations with MLS for some time. Blank also founded the Home Depot chain, which is a major commercial sponsor of both MLS and the U.S. Soccer Federation.

I'm off to go buy a hammer. Or something.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm excited but not that optimistic that GA Dome 2.0 is going to be a good venue. Especially if its artificial turf. At least we've got something to replace the braves downtown.

Wonder if there will be a team name announcement?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the formal announcement yesterday, and it was a blast! Looking forward to seeing the team in the new stadium in 2017!

Atlanta land MLS expansion team for 2017 (AJC)

And just for giggles:

Edited by Bahamut
  • Like 1