• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Putting Ferry Under the Microscope with Horford Injured

MrMeltdown

• Premium Member

We signed guys to reasonable short term contracts that gives us flexibility going foward

Flexibility for What? Know your history Jaybird... Hawks are terrible at FA acquisition and it's not about money, it's about how we treat players. So us denying Horf of what he has asked for... Do you think that makes us better or worse off in FAcy. So now, you must be talking about trading flexibility. OK... What do we trade for and who do we trade? Teague, Horf, Sap, and Korver are all sacred cows right? So that leaves DMC... What do you think we can get for DMC? Honestly, DMC is at the top of his value for what he does.

See, we've heard this flexibility going forward stuff before. We heard it with BK. BK's use of that flexibility was having the flexibility to resign the talent you have because we didn't want to make any trades and there was nobody willing to come here. Well, things haven't changed so much. We replaced BK with Ferry. Ferry's mantra is different than BK's but it's a mantra that limits who we will go after just like BK's. So this flexibility will be money we spend to resign our own FAs.

• Premium Member

The biggest fail is trying to evaluate a loss of a player when the team hasn't even played a game yet.

Check the history, some of us were critical of Ferry all Fall. It just takes Horf going down for some of you to see why we were so critical.

Check the history, some of us were critical of Ferry all Fall. It just takes Horf going down for some of you to see why we were so critical.

I don't get it. Because you don't agree with the moves in a transition year doesn't make your analysis any more complete.

• Like 1

Check the history, some of us were critical of Ferry all Fall.   It just takes Horf going down for some of you to see why we were so critical.

How can you judge him when he's not finished yet? The point everyone is trying to make is that this team is a work in progress. Now I can understand if it bothers you that we haven't committed to winning our losing, but it is what it is. We know we need a center but the only deal I've seen anybody name we missed on that Ferry should have jumped on is Robin Lopez for 2 2nd rounders. Nothing else was either a) available or b) doable for this team. Look, if you have a better idea of how we could have built this team feel free to share, but comparing Ferry to the fool that was BK is unfair.

• Premium Member

I don't get it. Because you don't agree with the moves in a transition year doesn't make your analysis any more complete.

Is this a transition year? If so, why didn't we get Asik?

Here's the deal. Your moves define what kind of year you're in. If this were a transition year, we would have traded Smoove to Detroit for a future first and somebody like Charlie V. If this were a transition year, we would have traded Korver to somebody like OKC for either a young player (Perry Jones) or a 2014 pick. Signed DMC and Sap the way we signed them and then traded Sap for Asik when the time came. IF this was a transition year.

However, we made moves that said that we plan to be a contender. Like we were in a Chemistry Building year. We refused to trade Sap because he's actually good. We refused to develop young guys because we're on the chemistry winning plan. We refused to inadvertently tank for a better draft selection.

So we're not in transition. We're trying to win something. Same problem that other Hawks teams always had. It leads to being too far in the draft to get better, too hesitant to trade players for potential or need. And too willing to sell out a championship run for a good looking team in the regular season.

I just don't see what great deals DF passed up and I also don't see the bad moves he made. And to say that DF is just ignoring our needs at C isn't true.Even though I love Zaza, $5m/yr for 3 yrs was too much, and I don't know how you could blame him for not giving a comparable offer. 2 of 3 draft picks were used on big men, who looked to need some more seasoning before getting started here. He also signed EB, who may not be able to jump like he used to, but he's supposedly one of the best in the league at alerting shots. And his contract is only a year, so we maintain flexibility. On top of all that he signed the FIBA MVP Ayón off waivers, and brought in a giant Macedonian who can play C. Not too bad considering the options out there, many of them being injured, expensive, and/or big gambles.All the rumored possible moves sounded pretty bad (Asik with his poison pill contract? Long-term bad deals from Bucks for Josh, who kept lowering his own trade value all season btw?)And the deals he did make are great with me. Teague at $8m per for 4 yrs? Sounds great. (Pretty sure Teague realizes this is a business, and is pretty freaking thankful he's not playing with the Bucks.) One of the best 3 shooters of all time on a 4 yr deal that gets lower ever year so our flexibility gets better and better? Signing Sap to what has been regarded the steal of the offseason? All sounds great to me. Fact is, you can't make great deals always work out for you, but I think DF has done a pretty good job. Morey has been asking WAY too much for Asik. D12 and CP3 just chose not to come here although we were in the running. Bynum was too expensive for the gamble he was. Smoove was too inefficient to resign. Don't recall any other great options. Given what was out there I think we've done really well. Even if we knew in the offseason that Al would be going down 1/3 of the way through the season, I don't know that we would have or should have done anything differently. Especially considering we aren't going for it all this year. The superstar teams are already in place and the two mega-stars that might have been able to change us overnight decided to go/stay elsewhere. You can't make a superstar team with no superstars, and you can't force them to sign with you. That Al got injured doesn't change anything. He has played extremely well at the 5 and has to see that moves are being made to try and relieve him. But so far the options just haven't been any good. I'd rather DF wait for the right deal rather than make a bad deal. And that's all I've seen offered.

I can't believe so many people on here have mentioned trading Millsap. He is one of the better power forwards in the NBA (easily one of the most underrated), he'll never be a distraction, he has a team friendly contract, and he fits well with our style of play. If anything I'd be looking to extend him next year.

• Like 1

I like what Ferry has done, but unless he has a very good player lined up to help JT, Horf and Millsap this year and next, Millsap should be traded for quick re-build pieces

I can't believe so many people on here have mentioned trading Millsap. He is one of the better power forwards in the NBA (easily one of the most underrated), he'll never be a distraction, he has a team friendly contract, and he fits well with our style of play. If anything I'd be looking to extend him next year.

I could go either way, depending on what we might get in return. I thought for sure his contract was signed short with the intention of him being traded to get something better in return. But I really like his play and I think he's a great competitor and fit with our team, so I would be very happy if we were to extend him.

And he looks like he genuinely loves playing for the Hawks.I think we will extend Millsap. He's a hell of a player and this new Horford injury may seal the deal on that. Edited by Duff_Man
  • Like 1

Agreed. I think Milsap loves it here. We don't really ask him to play outside of his skill-set. We don't treat him like Al.

People act like the Hawks are treating Al in some abusive way. He may prefer another way but the guy is not complaining and has been a fantastic player where he is.

Agreed. I think Milsap loves it here. We don't really ask him to play outside of his skill-set. We don't treat him like Al.

I say start Al at PG. He has the best mid range game in the league and won't be worried about battling with Centers or Power Forwards in the post. Gotta work on his handles though.

Flexibility for What? Know your history Jaybird... Hawks are terrible at FA acquisition and it's not about money, it's about how we treat players. So us denying Horf of what he has asked for... Do you think that makes us better or worse off in FAcy. So now, you must be talking about trading flexibility. OK... What do we trade for and who do we trade? Teague, Horf, Sap, and Korver are all sacred cows right? So that leaves DMC... What do you think we can get for DMC? Honestly, DMC is at the top of his value for what he does. See, we've heard this flexibility going forward stuff before. We heard it with BK. BK's use of that flexibility was having the flexibility to resign the talent you have because we didn't want to make any trades and there was nobody willing to come here. Well, things haven't changed so much. We replaced BK with Ferry. Ferry's mantra is different than BK's but it's a mantra that limits who we will go after just like BK's. So this flexibility will be money we spend to resign our own FAs.

You can't have it both ways - on one hand you are saying we can't get FA's because of how we treat players and on the next you want to trade the two (Milsap and Korver) who WANTED to sign here AND are playing well...make up your mind.And please don't get me wrong, I am not against trading anybody for the RIGHT deal. So far I've heard nothing CONCRETE for any trades. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I just don't see what great deals DF passed up and I also don't see the bad moves he made.And to say that DF is just ignoring our needs at C isn't true.Even though I love Zaza, $5m/yr for 3 yrs was too much, and I don't know how you could blame him for not giving a comparable offer. 2 of 3 draft picks were used on big men, who looked to need some more seasoning before getting started here.

3 yr 15 Million was too much?? Remember, Zaza took over for Al the first time he had his pec tore and we barely noticed the loss of Al!! At the age of 29, the deal was good.