David Aldridge: Scouts love the Hawks' player development under Ferry

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Premium Member

In an analysis of this season's top 50 scorers, Smoove ranks:

48th in FG%

50th in 3PTFG% (not really 50th, but dead last among shooters attempting at least 0.2 3PTs/game)

49th in FT% (only ahead of Dwight)

That, my friends, is Josh Smith's game in a nutshell.

Chuck be chuckin'

I think it is just as simple as the current scheme/style is more appeasing to the eye. We got results with Woody/Drew ball, but scouts and b-ball purest hated that style. Look at what they say about the Knicks style of play now that Woody is there. I think there we just look more competent. To a degree we are more competent and organized on the court, but I don't know how much of that is the subtraction of Josh and how much is just plain old good coaching.

We look more competent . . but aren't as good.

Give me being good, but looking like crap.

It's like style over substance. Style can only get you so far. You have to have that substance.

If i'm reading this right (which is probably unlikely) the Hawks are 9-3 in games decided by 10 points or more. So we've only had 3 losses this season by 10 points or more. The only other teams with that few are Miami, OKC, and PHX. That's pretty solid.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Mrg_Div.html

That is better coaching, fundamentals, and team basketball. For all the talent we supposedly had pre-ferry/bud, all those 10, 15, 20, and 25 point losses were disasters. Totally demoralizing for fans and players alike.

We look more competent . . but aren't as good.

Give me being good, but looking like crap.

It's like style over substance. Style can only get you so far. You have to have that substance.

You think its better that our substance got us to the second round and then we looked like crap getting blown out by 15 or more a game. And BTW, with JJ, Josh, and Horfords cap hits we had no way to improve that substance.

Now we have a similar ( record wise ) team but better coached and team oriented; and BTW 8 to 12 million in cap next season to improve our substance.

Your view is short sighted; and even if we had Pop coaching us, no way a big three of JJ, Horford, and Smoove ever wins a damn thing.

• Like 1

In an analysis of this season's top 50 scorers, Smoove ranks:

48th in FG%

50th in 3PTFG% (not really 50th, but dead last among shooters attempting at least 0.2 3PTs/game)

49th in FT% (only ahead of Dwight)

That, my friends, is Josh Smith's game in a nutshell.

Here is another stat to ponder. I thought just maybe Josh's FG% downfall was related to more of a half court game being played in Detroit. Well thats not the case. Detroit is ranked 2nd in the NBA in fast break points at 17.3 ..... 17.3 is our exact number last season. We have dropped to 14.2 ( 13th ) this season.

Stat link:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/fastbreak-points-per-game

• Premium Member

You think its better that our substance got us to the second round and then we looked like crap getting blown out by 15 or more a game. And BTW, with JJ, Josh, and Horfords cap hits we had no way to improve that substance. Now we have a similar ( record wise ) team but better coached and team oriented; and BTW 8 to 12 million in cap next season to improve our substance. Your view is short sighted; and even if we had Pop coaching us, no way a big three of JJ, Horford, and Smoove ever wins a damn thing.

Great post.I understand the fans who want us to tank, but I don't get how people can still be upset we got rid of our previous core. Our record isn't as good now but it's obvious the future is bright. Fans and the media actually talk about us like we are a good team, you didn't hear this stuff with Woody and Drew.I don't blame our old players, they did what they could. The Hawks as an organization were a mess though and we had no direction. They won some games but did anybody really think we were close to competing? Joe signing his huge contract and taking about recruiting guys to ATL. I loved Joe, but come on man.Look back at our playoffs. The loss to Orlando was the worst playoff series in NBA history right? We got manhandled by the Cavs with LeBron. We barely beat Miami and Millwaukee in the first round. Lost to Boston when we had homecourt.The only time we showed up was the year with Orlando and Chicago. I'm happier today because I feel that our GM and coach will make us true contenders. It's going to take some time..but I'm okay with that as long as I feel we are trending upwards.
  • Like 1

Great post.I understand the fans who want us to tank, but I don't get how people can still be upset we got rid of our previous core. Our record isn't as good now but it's obvious the future is bright. Fans and the media actually talk about us like we are a good team, you didn't hear this stuff with Woody and Drew.I don't blame our old players, they did what they could. The Hawks as an organization were a mess though and we had no direction. They won some games but did anybody really think we were close to competing? Joe signing his huge contract and taking about recruiting guys to ATL. I loved Joe, but come on man.Look back at our playoffs. The loss to Orlando was the worst playoff series in NBA history right? We got manhandled by the Cavs with LeBron. We barely beat Miami and Millwaukee in the first round. Lost to Boston when we had homecourt.The only time we showed up was the year with Orlando and Chicago.I'm happier today because I feel that our GM and coach will make us true contenders. It's going to take some time..but I'm okay with that as long as I feel we are trending upwards.

Thanks and so is yours. There are no guarantees of a dynasty. The Bulls with Rose are a perfect example of shit happens. At least we have a direction now. I agree, its not the players fault. Most want to get paid all they can ( JJ, Smoove, Kobe, Dirk ) some will take a cut ( Duncan, Parker ). Its on the GM/VP/President to decide who gets paid and who does not.

Ferry let Josh walk and he traded Marvin and JJ. He resigned Teague and signed Lou and Millsap. Lou's injury sucked but again shit happens. Great decisions all the way around IMO.

Edited by Buzzard

Most want to get paid all they can ( JJ, Smoove, Kobe, Dirk ) some will take a cut ( Duncan, Parker ).

Off-topic: Dirk has no max deal, he signed for less than possible, cause he wanted to get a championship team four years ago (we know he got that). And he already declared that he will take a cut in his next contract...

• Like 2

I think this team could beat the old core by 20 in a regular at home or win a series in a Game 6 blowout. No comparison between the two. The team fundamentals that help this poorly talented team win are things the old core never had an inkling of. In a perfect universe I'd turn Lou back into Jamal, flip a scrub for Ivan, knock 5 years off Kyle's legs, and get that Experimental Kobe Care for Al's chest. I'm all for drafting a stud, but I don't care for acquiring a big name free agent dominating the ball in this offense. Our big brother franchise never did it, and they've done okay.

Off-topic: Dirk has no max deal, he signed for less than possible, cause he wanted to get a championship team four years ago (we know he got that). And he already declared that he will take a cut in his next contract...

He did not take everything he could but I think this qualifies as getting paid:

2010-2011 $17,000,0002011-2012 $18,785,0002012-2013 $20,910,0002013-2014 $22,720,000

links:

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/mavs/mavs-news/mavs-con.html#nowitzki

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/DAL.html

Parker makes 12.5 this year and Duncan 10.0....Their combined is less than Dirks salary this season.

link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Moderators

On Josh, I will add a few brief words:1. He did once change his game for the team by dropping the 3's his last year under Woody (his best season).2. The Hawks did him and themselves a disservice by not hiring a coach to hold him accountable and develop him. Woody was an enabler and Drew was worse.3. Josh is an idiot with shot selection who was indulged to the point of delusion.4. Detroit is seeing why many of us Hawks fans said Josh could never succeed at SF. The perimeter focus of that role takes his shot selection from "that hurts the team" to "wow, that is just embarrassing."5. I mourned for his wasted potential but was ready for him to hit the road at the end. He was one of the rarest breeds in the NBA - a true Hawks fan who wanted to play in the ATL. I hate that it didn't work out better.

• Like 3

He did not take everything he could but I think this qualifies as getting paid:

2010-2011 $17,000,0002011-2012 $18,785,0002012-2013 $20,910,0002013-2014 $22,720,000

links:

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/mavs/mavs-news/mavs-con.html#nowitzki

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/DAL.html

Parker makes 12.5 this year and Duncan 10.0....Their combined is less than Dirks salary this season.

link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html

Dirk let about $16.2 million on the table... (link)

Duncan is 2 years older so he already took the cut Dirk will take next year.

Before that he earned very similar to Dirk.

2007-08 $19,014,1882008-09 $20,598,7042009-10 $22,183,2202010-11 $18,700,0002011-12 $21,164,619

Duncan's salaries - Nowitzki's salaries

Parker isn't comparable, career wise not the same level as The Big Fundamental and Dirk

• Like 1