IVAAAAN

Ryaan

• Premium Member

Well to be honest, if multiple teams are after Ivan's services it's unlikely we will get him anyway. He'll probably end up as a backup big for a better team. Some were probably worried before about his conduct (getting kicked out of Korea and all)...but since he didn't get kicked out of China that is likely all forgotten.

Our competition will offer Ivan a hundred and fifty dollars more and the ASG will fold.

You meant fifty cents more cause that's all it would take.

• Premium Member

Has nothing to do with what they bring to the game. It's about available minutes at the PF position. Scott can probably play some minutes at SF but he's been so bad defensively at PF I'm not sure that he'll be able to stay with SF's. And Ivan can play some minutes at C but he's drastically undersized there. So again I see no reason to make this signing at all.

If Scott can't guard a 4 or a 3, what difference does it make whether he plays SF or PF? Opponents will sacore anyway.

Bring back IVAN, DF! Posted Image

(excerpted from AJC.com)

By Chris Vivlamore

The Hawks are one of several teams that have expressed an interest in signing Ivan Johnson once he finishes his season in the Chinese Basketball Association, according to a person familiar with the situation.

The CBA regular season ends Feb. 16.

The Hawks have inquired about Johnson’s availability and willingness to return to his former team. No agreement has been reached and no deal is imminent.

Several NBA teams have inquired about Johnson getting out of his contract with the Zhejiang Chouzhou Golden Bulls prior to the end of the Chinese season. However, the forward has elected to play out his contract before considering a return to the NBA.

The Hawks chose not make Johnson a qualifying offer following last season, making the forward/center an unrestricted free agent. After getting interest from the Bulls, Knicks, Pacers and Clippers, Johnson signed a lucrative deal to play in China.

In 25 games for the Golden Bulls, Johnson is averaging 25.8 points and 10.2 rebounds in 33.0 minutes...

...The Hawks have been considering their options to replace center Al Horford, who was lost following season-ending surgery to repair a torn right pectoral muscle. The Hawks are 4-6 since the loss of Horford.

Once the CBA season is over, Johnson will likely get interest from teams looking to bolster their frontcourt for a playoff run.

This kinda tells me that other teams have real interest if they were actually trying to get Ivan BEFORE his contract ran out (and likely willing to pay some money to the Chinese team to do it). Good for Ivan sticking with his agreement.

That said...I doubt we see Ivan here.

he would be like our 6th PF..

Actually I think he would fit in better as a 2nd string center with most teams (especially us - without AL). He isn't as tall as most but has the bulk/muscle to be a force in the lane and can keep other 2nd string centers away from their "block". He jumps well and uses his body rebounding. Physically he is FAR superior to Scott, Ayón, and probably even Pero. He would match up well with Elton - but younger.

Let's be realistic, he isn't averaging 25 and 10 in the Chinese League against 6-4" Chinese guys. He can hold his own with the big fellas.

Edited by DJlaysitup

No matter who Ivan signs with, he will be a restricted free agent after a one year deal. He might as well sign with us since he would also get Bird rights.

Oh Horse Shit...are you serious? "Bird rights" with us? He will get twice the money our half assed ownership would pay. Bird rights on a player at Ivan's level for the Hawks is a hoot...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image .

I normally have a few but how many have you had?

He can go wherever he wants.....period.

He is an unrestricted free agent....

Edited by DJlaysitup

I like the guy too, but if he's going to be a back up center, we have really decided to go small ball in a big way.....Plus, I have to think there was some reason they didn't bring him back at the start of the season. I do prefer him over Cunningham, though.