• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Lance Stephenson Mega Thread

GameTime

• Premium Member

The issue in this article is how Bud could coach and provide stability. There was a lot of talk about how the Pacer's coach lost the locker room. Stephenson needs mature players around him. I think that would make a difference along with Bud and his system. That would minimize the risk

Bud is an awesome coach, but realistically he can't fix or improve every player. Also, I don't buy the notion that Lance's actions were the fault of the folks around him somehow. Many Hawks fans, for years, tried to blame Josh's issues on everybody else but Josh. Now that he's gone, it became evident to everyone who the problem was. Bottom line, don't go looking to add problem guys on top of the issues this team already has to deal with. At the very least, I do have confidence that Ferry will get that part right. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 2

I don't think he fits here. He's only effective when he's allowed to pound the ball into submission before deciding what to do with it. Meanwhile his teammates sit and watch him tricky dribble.

I expect him to go to Charlotte for the money and put up decent nimbers for as long as he can get out of his own way but he won't be some star/game-changer.

He is a willing passer but he can be a bit of a ballstopper at times if a passing lane isn't open.

The issue in this article is how Bud could coach and provide stability. There was a lot of talk about how the Pacer's coach lost the locker room. Stephenson needs mature players around him. I think that would make a difference along with Bud and his system. That would minimize the risk

People around here champion how good of a coach Bud is . . as I do too. But then doesn't trust Bud to be able to handle or coach up a guy like Lance.

I mean damn, if Bud's system could get career years out of both Korver and Carroll, and turn guys like Mike Scott into a viable NBA rotational player, what do people think Bud could do with a Lance Stephenson? If they want a Ginobli like type of player in this offense, Lance fits the bill.

If he stays in Indiana, the Pacers will still be one of the top teams in the East.

If he goes to Charlotte . . that's the nightmare scenario for the Hawks, because they become a top 4 squad over us.

If he goes to Detroit . . that definitely would be interesting to say the least

If he goes to the Lakers . . that would be the best case scenario for everyone in the East

He is a willing passer but he can be a bit of a ballstopper at times if a passing lane isn't open.

Which makes his ability to score in isolation an asset, not a detriment.

The "ball-stopping" thing was said about Joe Johnson for years, and still is said about him. That doesn't mean that JJ still wasn't productive when the ball "stopped" in his hands. He was either able to create a shot for himself, or a shot for other people.

Add Lance to this squad, and he instantly becomes the best passer on this team. He might not lead the team in assists . . probably 2nd behind Teague . . but he becomes the best passer on the team, when it comes to creating assists and not throwing the ball away trying to make a play for somebody.

Of course, the best PURE passer on the team is young Dennis. But he's still erratic as hell right now, and can't take minutes from Mack as of this point in his career.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

Lance is a darn good player on the court and he'd fit in absolutely fine here in our system. He's got a very good 3pt stroke, he rebounds and defends and passes well and he's intelligent.

But I can't get over the off the court stuff and putting his hands on a woman. Just can't do it.

• Like 1

Which makes his ability to score in isolation an asset, not a detriment.

The "ball-stopping" thing was said about Joe Johnson for years, and still is said about him. That doesn't mean that JJ still wasn't productive when the ball "stopped" in his hands. He was either able to create a shot for himself, or a shot for other people.

Add Lance to this squad, and he instantly becomes the best passer on this team. He might not lead the team in assists . . probably 2nd behind Teague . . but he becomes the best passer on the team, when it comes to creating assists and not throwing the ball away trying to make a play for somebody.

Of course, the best PURE passer on the team is young Dennis. But he's still erratic as hell right now, and can't take minutes from Mack as of this point in his career.

Dennis isn't that great of a passer. He has the best court vision without question. He has Rondo type court vision but his passing needs work. Not as much as young Jeff but still.

• Like 1

Dennis isn't that great of a passer. He has the best court vision without question. He has Rondo type court vision but his passing needs work. Not as much as young Jeff but still.

That's because Dennis is a bit careless with his passes as the ones he makes were much easier at lower levels. I'm sure that he'll get that worked out.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

That's because Dennis is a bit careless with his passes as the ones he makes were much easier at lower levels. I'm sure that he'll get that worked out.

Agreed. He has work to do, but he made great improvement in terms not being careless towards the end of last season.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

You tell him. Supes is always talking bad about Dennis. It is just sad.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Lance is a darn good player on the court and he'd fit in absolutely fine here in our system. He's got a very good 3pt stroke, he rebounds and defends and passes well and he's intelligent.

But I can't get over the off the court stuff and putting his hands on a woman. Just can't do it.

Exactly....the court stuff I'm not worried about, the putting his hands on women stuff is insane.

All I can say about lance is that regardless if you like him or not he has good skills and would easily fit into buds system. The dude scores, shoot the 3 ball, defends and pass consistently at the SG position. He's really an all around talent that bud probably could do wonders with but I just don't like the fact that he put his hands on females.

Believe me I'm totally against men fighting women physically but as a nba gm would that honestly stop me from signing lance?

It's like the ray rice situation. The NFL is a passing league now and there aren't many good running backs. You think the ravens are going to release ray rice just because the altercation he had with his fiancée who's now his wife?....probably not.

I know it's sad but it is what it is and as a gm I actually may consider signing lance after getting the whole truth of what happened.

I don't think he fits here. He's only effective when he's allowed to pound the ball into submission before deciding what to do with it. Meanwhile his teammates sit and watch him tricky dribble.

I expect him to go to Charlotte for the money and put up decent nimbers for as long as he can get out of his own way but he won't be some star/game-changer.

He is not a star; but he is game changer with his double doubles at the shooting guard position. He is the only shooting guard in the top 40 with 20 double doubles; and he led the NBA in triple doubles with five.

James Harden is the next best SG, ranked 50th in double doubles with 14; and Harden had just one triple double. No doubt about it, Lance is a very underrated player.

Stats link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/sort/doubleDouble/seasontype/2

Edited by Buzzard

Dominique wilkins. Bob rathbun. Horford Millsap. Someone could be the vet and keep him quiet

I almost spit my drink out when I read Bob Rathbun, whom I like, but unless he's secretly Nacho Libre I doubt he can do much to stifle Lance.

And no offense dude but none of those guys could even control Josh Smith and he was just weird. Lance is weird AND crazy so I highly doubt any of them will keep him down. Shoot not even Nique could handle Josh and he was his hero growing up.

• Like 1

I almost spit my drink out when I read Bob Rathbun, whom I like, but unless he's secretly Nacho Libre I doubt he can do much to stifle Lance.

And no offense dude but none of those guys could even control Josh Smith and he was just weird. Lance is weird AND crazy so I highly doubt any of them will keep him down. Shoot not even Nique could handle Josh and he was his hero growing up.

Good point, and Smoove wasn't dumb OFF the court... Lance is. I retract my earlier post. Lol

• Like 1