• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks are like Spurs topics

Dirtybird26

I don't think Kawhi could run point-forward in the triangle like Pip, but I think he's more than a little bit stronger, especially in the hands.

It's crazy, teams that don't play defense actually present more problems for the Spurs Model. The Mavericks don't close hard or trap PNR, they gave SA all they could handle, not to mention Carlisle is much closer to Pop's peer than Spoelstra. The system is built to make the most active defenses scramble, and look pretty silly the later the clock ticks. That's why a lot of us knew we could give the Pacers problems, and probably get smacked by the Wizards.

The Raptors, Thunder, Warriors, Wizards, Clippers, and Mavericks (all with young, dynamic small guards) could present more of a challenge than the Heat's putrid offense right now. On defense, you'd be better off allowing the Spurs to shoot more than they pass: playing hot potato just energizes all 5 guys, on both ends. They go deep into the clock and score, then funnel you into a shot you think you want, but it's rushed, and they're attacking again. They're killing the Heat in so many aspects at the same time I'm not sure their coaching staff realizes which way is up. If they did, they wouldve taken something away by now. It's the best ball I've ever seen by far. How Pat is always so cool through heavy adversity is what's most amazing to me. Unlike Larry, he hasn't made a peep.

And the Melo stuff coming out is just silly. Their main priority should be a true starting PG, and I like Chalmers and Cole. Just can't skate by with that anymore with the way Wade and Ray move now. With that said, a Miami blowout in Game 5 wouldn't be surprising . By some miracle they beat this team 4 times last year. But Pop is a military man through and through. He's probably gonna drill his guys like never before for this last one.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are still elite superstars. You still need those to win titles. Doesn't hurt to have the deepest bench in the NBA to go along with that.

Exactly. A player like Tim Duncan is more than just an All Star. Talent like his are once in a life time type talent.

Damn near everything about this Spurs team is elite. Elite passing, scoring, coaching, etc. The Spurs are completely outclassing the Heat( and the rest of the league).

It also doesn't help that everybody but Lebron James is actually contributing positively. It's insane how horrible those guys are playing. Age has finally caught up to them. Clearly, last year's Heat team> this year's Heat team.

• Like 1

We've all said it. That cute little girl is just like her mom. That little boy is

a carbon copy of his dad. Almost all of us have some relative that we favor

enough to establish a family relation.

Our Hawks have been called the Spurs east. I have said they are the Hawks west.

Now, the question of the day is, can you see a resemblance?

I know. We're not anywhere close to what they are. If the past two games are

indication, the Miami Heat will soon be the ex champs of the NBA, replaced by

the Spurs.

One year ago, Atlanta hired one of the top assistant coaches of the Spurs and he

has brought his expertise here to us. As we watch these final games of the NBA

playoffs and see all the things that the Spurs are doing, can we somehow see

a family resemblance between the Spurs and the Hawks?

Today's science can check a man's DNA and establish whether or not he fathered

a child. I maintain we have the Spur's DNA in our Hawk team. We're not there. We

have quiet a ways to go. We're not grown up yet. We're still a child.

"I want to grow up to be just like my dad!" As a father, this can be a scary thought.

As we approach Father's day, do we really want our son to be exactly like us?

Yep. We want our Hawks to grow up to be just like their kin folks, the Spurs!

Is there a close family resemblance? I believe it. What do you think??

• Like 4

A lot of what the announcers were talking about the Spurs at the end of the game applied to the Hawks. How team is first, everyone buys into what they are doing, plays their role. I think it's a model that is unique in the league. They also said that the Spurs have a corner on the market for guys who are essentially blue collar, hard working guys and to some degree the parts are interchangeable. There are clearly glimpses of this in our roster. Sap and Horf are quintessential Spurs type players. And I think this gives us a blue print for what DF is doing and what he will look for in FA and the draft.

• Like 1

I just don't see John Jenkins being our Danny Green or being a contributor. The Hawks are years behind the Spurs. We need so many things to get to that point, it's sort of disheartening. IFWT. I wish KK was only 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are years behind, but so is everyone else. The announcers last night said repeatedly they were shocked at how they handled the Heat. But at least we have made a decision to follow their blue print and I think there will be a significant difference in how we execute Bud's system from year one to two.

• Like 3

I don't think we're far off at all from the Spurs. They are not super-talented, nowhere near the Clippers or Warriors starting 5 for example, nor as top-heavy as the Heat. Their talent is perfectly spread out among the entire roster, and I think that's what Ferry is leaving himself flexibility to mimic.

It's all about moving the ball and men, and we have that down. In 2 years we should expect to be a Finals contender. Both games we won versus the Heat didn't look too much different from what the Spurs are doing: confusing the hell out of them by adjusting and slipping screens that lead to layups, fouls, or open threes. We've beaten every contender in the NBA in recent memory in the regular or post season handily, except the Spurs. I think our measuring stick will be can we actually beat our mentors. We hit the appropriate home runs in FA and the draft and we're on the way. The standard is set and administered by RC and Pop, and revolves around Tim. We have the two suits in place, I'm just not sure we can build around Al.

Love watching those guys though. Class and teamwork is unsurpassed. F$&k talking about LeBron's legacy as if one player ever won anything by himself. If the media were smart enough, the narrative would be where does this Spurs TEAM rank All-Time? Unfortunately, there too "boring" because they don't dress like effeminate clowns, rub shoulders with rappers, or display their marriages, affairs, and family life on Shitter.

that's another point made last night that the personality of the Spurs is one of humility. No egos out there. Everyone buys into the idea that the grail is to play for their coach and support the system. I think we have the beginning of the same attitude.

Hopefully were the spitting image and not thr red headed step child. Of corse it could be possible that Bud is what held the Spurs back last year because this year they are making a joke of Miami LOL. In truth Miami miss what Mike Miller and Battier gave them last year. Even though Battier is still there they arent playing him or even Haslem.

Hopefully were the spitting image and not thr red headed step child. Of corse it could be possible that Bud is what held the Spurs back last year because this year they are making a joke of Miami LOL. In truth Miami miss what Mike Miller and Battier gave them last year. Even though Battier is still there they arent playing him or even Haslem.

Remember they just had the title won, if it wasn't for them missing a rebound and giving up a 3 to Ray Allen.

I think the Bebe pick (Noah type)

Dennis pick (Payton type)

Horford (malone type)

Teague (Bobby Jackson type)

Millsap (Millsap)

Korver and Jenkins (movement shooters).

is a solid foundation.

We need more playmakers, more defense, and more chemistry.

I would seriously consider Kyle Anderson at #15 for our team.

Who knows what the future holds.

• Like 1

Remember they just had the title won, if it wasn't for them missing a rebound and giving up a 3 to Ray Allen.

Yes but the Heat beat them in 4 games last year and it was a close series. This series is a joke and should be over already. These games look like our game vs the Pacers in game 5 when we hammered them. Last year I think the Leonard missed free throw was what killed the Spurs. Make 2 free throws and your champs, but he didnt. The Heats defense isnt what it was last year. I really was just kidding about Bud being the cause. The Heat have regressed and the Spurs are even better than last year.

Edited by NJHAWK
  • Like 2

One way or another, you need elite talent and the Spurs have it...along with brilliant execution, seasoned CONTENDERS, and every intangible you can think of. You guys are dreaming if you think we're anywhere near their level.

I love our team, but we have a long way to go (especially defensively and on the boards).

I know that Duncan and Parker are sure future hall of famers. Once again I said something that was taken the wrong way.

Hawks are far away from contending like the spurs but it's not fair to say "ok hawks in order to win an nba championship we need two sure hall of famers like Duncan and Parker. A 3rd possible hall of famer in ginobli and a stud for sure future all star in Kwahi".....come on guys! It's foolish to think we are going to get hall of fame players.

I'm just making the case for the hawks as I rather see bud/ferry get 3-4 all star players and a deep ass bench opposed to doing something like the heat and have all our money tied into 3 superstars with a weak ass bench.

If the hawks can get a young player to start out as an all star at a very young age he very well could be a HOF talent by the time he's 28/29.

Just saying this series proves that a complete team over 3 stars is the way to go.

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

I know that Duncan and Parker are sure future hall of famers. Once again I said something that was taken the wrong way.

Hawks are far away from contending like the spurs but it's not fair to say "ok hawks in order to win an nba championship we need two sure hall of famers like Duncan and Parker. A 3rd possible hall of famer in ginobli and a stud for sure future all star in Kwahi".....come on guys! It's foolish to think we are going to get hall of fame players.

I'm just making the case for the hawks as I rather see bud/ferry get 3-4 all star players and a deep ass bench opposed to doing something like the heat and have all our money tied into 3 superstars with a weak ass bench.

If the hawks can get a young player to start out as an all star at a very young age he very well could be a HOF talent by the time he's 28/29.

Just saying this series proves that a complete team over 3 stars is the way to go.

I don't think anybody has ever disagreed with your last statement. To the contrary, we all know that a COMPLETE team is what you need to CONTEND. The problem is people just can't get passed the labels (star, superstar, etc.). Anytime someone suggests "Atlanta needs a star" some people assume that means "I wish we had a bunch of big names so we can watch flashy, exciting plays, mad dunks, and see our players in Kia commercials."

When none of that is a part of what we feel the team needs.

When you ask, "Do you still think we need a superstar win?" I assume you are suggesting A) the Spurs DON'T have a "superstar" B) you can win without a "superstar" and C) this team, which doesn't have a "superstar", is close to what the Spurs are. My response, to kill all the tap-dancing around semantics, is simply the Spurs have elite talent (and YES we need it) and they have an elite TEAM.

The fact that San Antonio plays such great team ball (and have been doing it for so long) draws the attention away from how good their key players are (especially Duncan) and has confused people into thinking we are close to that level. In the same way, people undersell how great the 2000's Pistons were and one of my favorite players of all time Rip Hamilton (severely underrated IMO).

(*edit for word usage that I should know better, lol)

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Also...Miami is a complete team with their own identity and strategy. Shit, they've only won back-to-back titles... They dug down and EARNED that game 6 victory last year with ELITE talent and clutch shooting.

IJS.

The Heat's 2 championships and 4 straight Finals appearances proves that they did things right. Whenever you have the top player in the league, combined with arguably a top 20 and a top 30 player, you're going to be in the mix every year.

What you're seeing in this series is Spolestra being thoroughly out coached.

If you would have gave me 100/1 odds that Boris Diaw would be the focal point and key player on a championship squad some day back in 2003-04..

I woulda laughed in your face and made a huuuuge bet against it. I mean even now when I see him in the post game conferences discussing Spurs tactics, I still think its a dream/nightmare. Wow.

Also...Miami is a complete team with their own identity and strategy. Shit, they've only won back-to-back titles... They dug down and EARNED that game 6 victory last year with ELITE talent and clutch shooting.

IJS.

They dug down and made Leonard miss the free throw that would have won San Antonio the title. Well that was last year anyways. This year Miami look like cramping, cant take the heat, bathroom going in the middle of the game CHUMPS.