• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vegas Says Hawks Aren't Likely to Be Contenders in 2015

AHF

This post-season every player was available every game and played at peak level for nearly that entire period of time. The total sum of missed time due to injuries in the post-season for the Spurs basically added up to one half of one game by Parker and the total impact on quality of play was basically one game by Parker. That is blissfully healthy for a team like the Spurs, IMO.

They could have a ton of guys miss 20 regular season games (many by design in the Spurs system) and it doesn't impact the team at all - just like all the games that Wade missed didn't impact Miami at all in the regular season but him burning out physically in the playoffs wrecked them in the finals.

I know the Spurs strategically rest their players but that would be about 10 games or so. SAS strong and deep bench prevents burn out. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I can't take this guy seriously...

This isn't a column. These are vegas odds. If you can't take them seriously and you are of age, you should abuse them and put your money down. I take them seriously because vegas tends to make money hand over fist by doing a very good job of setting odds.

What surprises me so much is not the numbers at the top, but where the Hawks fall on the list. I don't think we should be considered a lottery team for next year but either the vegas folks view us that way or they see us as having such limited upside that our championship odds are akin to a lottery team even if our odds at making the playoffs are much higher.

2014-2015 NBA FUTURES

(Courtesy LVH SuperBook)

Team Odds

Heat 5-2

Thunder 9-2

Spurs 9-2

Clippers 10-1

Pacers 12-1

Bulls 12-1

Warriors 20-1

Rockets 20-1

Trail Blazers 30-1

Wizards 30-1

Nets 40-1

Grizzlies 40-1

Mavericks 40-1

Nuggets 50-1

Raptors 50-1

Knicks 50-1

Timberwolves 50-1

Pelicans 50-1

Lakers 60-1

Celtics 60-1

Cavaliers 60-1

Suns 60-1

Hornets 60-1

Hawks 60-1

Jazz 100-1

Kings 100-1

Pistons 100-1

Magic 100-1

76ers 200-1

Bucks 300-1

We are right there with all those teams with young talent they acquired through the draft lol

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know the Spurs strategically rest their players but that would be about 10 games or so. SAS strong and deep bench prevents burn out.

I don't think it prevents burn out but it improves your odds significantly which is why I have always approved of it. If you bet me today whether Parker or Manu or Duncan or Leonard would have some multi-game stretch where they were either injured or their performance was way off next off-season I would be that at least one of the four would (Parker and Manu being the most likely) which is why I viewed this year as a such a good scenario for the Spurs. I don't think they could have asked for more as far as guys available and firing on all cylinders.

• Moderators

We are right there with all those teams with young talent they acquired through the draft lol

That shouldn't surprise you. The first teams of Jordan, Shaq, Durant, Dirk, Nash, Garnett, Iversons and many other non-MVPs were .500 or worse their first season and none of the top players are as old as those guys were when drafted other than Durant.

• Moderators

Of course this team isn't a contender. Not sure why anyone would be shocked or offended by the odds.

I expected us to be in the middle of the pack range:

Nets 40-1

Grizzlies 40-1

Mavericks 40-1

Nuggets 50-1

Raptors 50-1

Knicks 50-1

Timberwolves 50-1

Pelicans 50-1

Rather than near the bottom of the pack.

I expected us to be in the middle of the pack range:

Nets 40-1

Grizzlies 40-1

Mavericks 40-1

Nuggets 50-1

Raptors 50-1

Knicks 50-1

Timberwolves 50-1

Pelicans 50-1

Rather than near the bottom of the pack.

Always remember the odds are set to get the most action. Those teams have higher profiles then the Hawks do. They payout is not as high to get people to bet on them. The Hawks those of their ilk need a big number to draw the cash. You also see most of those teams are who they are. You can't expect much of change from next year so they are a safe bet for gamblers.

• Like 1

Good. The less expected of the Hawks the less everyone else knows what hit 'em. The way I like it.

• Like 1

I would put us at 50-1 or 40-1. I'm not sure how the heck the Bulls are 12-1 and the Warriors are 20-1. Bulls prolly won't have a fully healthy Rose ever and the Warriors have a new coach in Kerr. It might take them a couple years.

Damn I was wondering who the F "Hawkitus" was. Sultan changing his name after a very long time I dunno about this man you're losing your identity.

• Like 2

This is all about projected dollars being bet on each team. Early odds are the scariest for Vegas and I would not take this personally. Just imagine the drop the Heat would have if Bron left; and the increase his new would have?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I really like those odds. All the better for us. Maybe we should take up a Hawksquawk collection and place a group bet, not unlike groups go together to buy lottery tickets sometimes... right?

It's not too bad of an idea if the odds stay around the same after our draft and FA.

It's not too bad of an idea if the odds stay around the same after our draft and FA.

Teams like us, with some cap and a good pick, this is the best time to make the bet. If we do something astounding, our odds will dwindle some.

Damn I was wondering who the F "Hawkitus" was. Sultan changing his name after a very long time I dunno about this man you're losing your identity.

That is Sultan? Dang man don't change ur name, it changes ur identity. Plus it makes my brain have to do another step to figure things out. Lol

• Moderators

As poor as the East is, the Hawks are already contenders for the ECF. The West is far better and the Spurs made the top team in the East look like a punk. I compare the Hawks getting to the ECF to the Falcons never having back to back winning seasons. Once that is achieve, then we can think about championships.

Barring some major changes we won't win it, but I'd bet on those odds as opposed to the friggin Pelicans or Timberwolves. Hell, I might place a small amount of money down now and hope against hope that we land one of Melo or Lebron in FA.