• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in the Carmelo race?

Plainview1981

Teams can't formally contact free agents until 12:01 a.m. ET July 1, but sources told ESPN.com that the Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat are two more teams that could join the race for Anthony, depending on how things play out before, during and after Thursday's NBA draft.

The Bulls are widely regarded as the early favorite to steal Anthony from the Knicks, with sources saying Monday that Chicago has been quietly planning for this free-agent pursuit for months, going back to the January trade of Luol Deng to Cleveland. Sources say every move Chicago made during the season's second half -- including the seemingly minor signings of veterans Ronnie Brewer, Lou Amundson and Mike James to very tradeable contracts -- was made with the hope they might be helpful in a potential sign-and-trade with the Knicks for Anthony.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11126717/carmelo-anthony-pursuit-expected-include-chicago-bulls-houston-rockets

Could Mello/Millsap/Horford get it done?

I don't think so.

The Hawks would have to clear approximately $10 million to $12 million in salary-cap space to pursue Anthony, but sources indicate that is one of the many options Atlanta is considering, making it a sleeper team to watch.

Huh? I think they mean to offer him a max deal. We can clear Lou for an expiring and be competitive with Houston/Chicago/Dallas right?

@hawksfanatic

Huh? I think they mean to offer him a max deal. We can clear Lou for an expiring and be competitive with Houston/Chicago/Dallas right?

@hawksfanatic

Dallas should have a ton of cap space, so they have us beat by a lot. But clearing Lou would put us on par with Houston/Chicago, we already are on par with them already since they need to clear contracts to get enough room, just like us.

• Premium Member

By my estimation... It would take a package of either Lou/Sap or Lou/Horf to get NY's interest and help the cap.

Unless of course, he just wants to sign here and leave about 70 million on the table.

That would do it...

Melo signs a 1 year 8 Million dollar deal... after we stash Saric overseas.

Horf/Sap/Melo/Korver/Teague.

We can hardly lose with that.

Melo is that post up 3 that we need.

@hawksfanatic

@GameTime

I created a thread just for Melo and Lebron

Look at the bottom:

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/395024-if-lebron-or-melo-opts-out-no-one-should-get-qt-from-us-not-Ayón-scott-or-mack/

By my estimation... It would take a package of either Lou/Sap or Lou/Horf to get NY's interest and help the cap.

Unless of course, he just wants to sign here and leave about 70 million on the table.

That would do it...

Melo signs a 1 year 8 Million dollar deal... after we stash Saric overseas.

Horf/Sap/Melo/Korver/Teague.

We can hardly lose with that.

Melo is that post up 3 that we need.

I honestly don't see NYK being into a SnT of any magnitude as they only have their 1st for 2015 and they might want to be a high pick so they can sign a big 3 type of roster. Who ever they get in a SnT won't be that helpful.

I honestly don't see NYK being into a SnT of any magnitude as they only have their 1st for 2015 and they might want to be a high pick so they can sign a big 3 type of roster. Who ever they get in a SnT won't be that helpful.

Maybe they can get some expirings from the other team along with some future draft picks for their trouble. Or, trade the assets they get for draft picks. It's always helpful to add assets as long as they don't bog down the finances in 2015 beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they can get some expirings from the other team along with some future draft picks for their trouble. Or, trade the assets they get for draft picks. It's always helpful to add assets as long as they don't bog down the finances in 2015 beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Millsap will help them win games. With a bad roster and no money. The best thing they can do is lose and lose often. No one is trading them a contender fo SnT.

Carmelo in our system with the right pieces around him would put us in the top of the NBA. He has never had a system like Bud's in the NBA.

It's a no-brainer if we have the opportunity.

• Like 3

I don't buy it. Imo, if the Hawks clear enough space, they'll go after Chandler Parsons.

Much like they cleared cap space last season in order to offer Millsap the max rather than Dwight or Paul? The Hawks wouldn't need to clear much if any space for Parsons fyi unless you honestly think that Ferry is going to break his mold and dramatically overpay for a non star player.