• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cavs engaged Hawks in trade talks a week ago to clear max spot

Admin

and this from JDub

• Premium Member

Thornton is an expiring, but ~9 mil is way too much unless Ferry feels like the team could use Thornton to fill  a roster spot until the trade deadline. Thornton used to be a decent scorer with the Pelicans.

Cleveland does have some "enticing" draft picks to add for whatever team takes on Thornton (not saying this is what they are offering, rather possible picks they COULD offer. From Realgm (http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed):

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

2015 first round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-10 in 2015 or 1-10 in 2016 or unprotected in 2017 [Cleveland-Miami, 7/9/2010]

Edited by johnnyde

• Premium Member

Cleveland does have some "enticing" draft picks to add for whatever team takes on Thornton (not saying this is what they are offering, rather possible picks they COULD offer. From Realgm (http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed):

Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

Miami's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-10 in 2015 or 1-10 in 2016 or unprotected in 2017 [Cleveland-Miami, 7/9/2010]

Now that's interesting. The protection on the picks sucks though.

• Moderators

You are right about that.  If we aren't going to land a lottery pick ourselves and won't land an elite free agent at an appropriate price, getting a potential lottery pick in a trade could be a good use of our cap space.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Now that's interesting. The protection on the picks sucks though.

The Memphis pick is more interesting on the protection side - it is protected against being a non-lottery pick as well as protected against being a top 5 so you'd think that one should translate into pretty good value.

• Premium Member

The Memphis pick is more interesting on the protection side - it is protected against being a non-lottery pick as well as protected against being a top 5 so you'd think that one should translate into pretty good value.

Yeah but doesn't that mean if it isn't picks 6-14 we don't get the pick?

• Moderators

Yeah but doesn't that mean if it isn't picks 6-14 we don't get the pick?

It rolls over until the next year when the same protections apply until it is utterly unprotected on both ends.  

• Premium Member

I would like to help Cleveland get Lebron...

IF we had a suitor for Jarrett Jack?

Since things are going in reverse, I'd say:  Salmons to Cleveland, Jack to GS, Barnes to us.

And call it a day.

GS needs the BU PG help.

My guess would be that they're really wanting Salmons contract so we may see something on this in the next couple of days. Wouldn't shock me to see Ferry try and get those future picks while taking back an expiring contract from the Cavs or another team in a 3 way deal.

I like the Heat pick out of the two.  Especially if it becomes certain that LBJ is headed back to Cleveland.  That would leave Miami no choice but to rebuild so the Hawks could snag a good pick in a year or two.

We would be giving up the chance to sign a good player like Deng; so the Cavs have to sweeten the pot considerably. The other downside is helping a conference foe become a contender....

• Like 2

I have read that Deng doesn't want to come to Atlanta unless jarret jack comes with him!

I got that from a rumor online plus I have a family member up in ohio that confirmed hearing that on the radio.

If ferry wants deng so bad looks like he's got to bring Jarrett jack with him.