• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Ferry going to Al Horford our newly drafted hawk Adreian Payne?

JTB

What position will newly Hawk Payne play?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@GameTime brought this up and I thought it was interesting enough to do a poll. I'm starting to think @GameTime may be on to something! I think ferry is going to al horford our draft pick Adrain Payne to make horford happy! and by al horford, Payne I mean sticking him in a position that's not his natural position in the nba though he maybe able to hold it down.

It never crossed my mind until now but if the hawks don't get a starting center like Monroe or someone else, Payne is probably the insurance to start beside horford while sap is shopped around. Maybe I'm looking too deep into it but as a hawks fan we don't come out on top in free agency very often so there has to be a backup plan and I don't think it's too crazy to think ferry/bud won't put Payne at center.

Howard:

Predraft Measurements

Year Source Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach Body Fat No Step Vert Max Vert

2004 NBA Pre-Draft Camp 6' 9" 6' 10.25" 240 7' 4.5" 9' 3.5" NA 30.5 35.5

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz36vZYLPvO

http://www.draftexpress.com

Payne:

Year Source Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach Body Fat No Step Vert Max Vert

2014 NBA Draft Combine 6' 9" 6' 9.75" 239 7' 4" 9' 1" 7.6 NA NA

2009 LeBron James Camp NA 6' 9" 215 7' 0" NA NA NA NA

2009 Amare Stoudemire Camp NA 6' 9" 215 7' 0" NA NA NA NA

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz36vZyEzTk

http://www.draftexpress.com

Yup I see it....

• Like 1

I'd only imagined him as a 4 but if he can defend the position it would be a great help to balance our roster out. He could be the main backup at the 4/5 and this would make more room for minutes for Scott.

Interesting idea if it's feasible.

• Premium Member

To start, Payne will have to work himself into the rotation. In addition, he's not strong enough to play center for significant minutes at this point although he could see light minutes there when the Hawks want to spread the floor more.

• Like 2

bud's communication to horf is that there isn't much difference between c and pf in this system. so...

That's probably true and trust me I understand that but does horford and his daddy get that is the question?

He didn't even play C in college.

Horford played center with Noah at PF in college.

Payne will not play much center in year 1.

Really? I thought he played center at michigan at one point.

It's not a center game anymore, save Dwight. Ferry is gonna run four 6'6- 6-10, athletic dudes and a PG And the big boys can shoot. Posting "up on the block" is not happening anymore

It's not a center game anymore, save Dwight. Ferry is gonna run four 6'6- 6-10, athletic dudes and a PG And the big boys can shoot. Posting "up on the block" is not happening anymore

Yea you dont have to worry about post up bigs as much anymore but you still need to have size and strength to accomplish simple big men tasks such as holding rebounding position.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Guy like Hibbert thrives when he can bang against undersized Centers. Match him up with a Center who is playing primarily on the perimeter and he is 'neutered' as a C. I agree with the view that Horford has been told by Ferry/Bud that in this system he is going to work outside the paint primarily.

Guy like Hibbert thrives when he can bang against undersized Centers. Match him up with a Center who is playing primarily on the perimeter and he is 'neutered' as a C. I agree with the view that Horford has been told by Ferry/Bud that in this system he is going to work outside the paint primarily.

I think the worry comes in more at defense for horford when guarding bigger centers for most.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think the worry comes in more at defense for horford when guarding bigger centers for most.

Right, but this can be accomplished with a big off the bench to play more minutes against the bigger bodied centers, hopefully Tavares can fill this role some.. though it looks like with Antić Ferry / Bud were trying to kill 2 birds with one stone - a bigger body center that can also hit from outside. Antić disappointed in playoffs but before he got hurt he helped our team alot imo. Especially right after Horford went down.