• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have we become a punchline?

noble

I love the Hawks, but there is just no excitement around this team unless you are a die hard fan. I was listening to several radio shows and every time they wanted to make a point about FA and where people will sign several of them would state, "It's not like they are going to the Hawks or the Bucks." I mean where is the talk about this team? We have NO superstars, none (Horford isnt a superstar, he really only gets talked about by Hawks fans, and once in a while we get the oh yea he is a good player comment nationally). Only the Kings have a longer drought of not winning a title, and only 3 players since 1980 drafted by this team was an all-star....Willis, Rivers, and Horford (Remember Wilkins was drafted by the Jazz). Have we really become the punchline in the NBA? It never seems like we are ever getting considered for signing a big name player, we seem to piecemeal a team together every year, and we are stuck in this middle of the pack treadmill for what seems like 30 years. I would love for us to sign some good players to this team. I would die happy if this team made it to a finals. But after watching yet another offseason where we are a punchline and some really bad signings and rumors of signings I am not sure they are wrong about us. Just one great season please....just one.

A punch line? Our GM has dumped JJ's contract, convined Utah to take Marvin, and Detroit takes Smoove. Plus we bring in all star for peanuts. And the fact we have a coach with 18 years experience under, pop, another champion. I don't think people are laughing...

Well, we've been doing better since the days of the (actual) Hawk sitting atop the backboard while the game was going on and the clock always breaking.

I wouldn't call us a "laughingstock"...we are more likeable than that.  We are like the team that Grandma says about:  "Those Hawks really try...bless their hearts".

• Like 1

Really bad signings, huh?  We've only did one this off season,

so there is no question about who you mean.

Not everyone agrees with you that this was a dud.  Wait and see.

Some of us, me included, don't really know a lot about all this free

agent talk.  Others think they know.

Be careful when you place your knowledge above that of our GM.

He may not be as smart as you but he ain't no dumb bunny either.

sun_bespectacled.gif

• Like 1

Thabo was pretty good a few years ago, but it looks like he is in a decline. Same can be said about Deng. I am not saying I know more than the GM, but let's be honest here. When a big name, superstar, quality player is in FA, most of the time we aren't even in the running to get him. I am glad Ferry was able to dump contracts and get some cap space. But what exactly is that money going to? I love the Millsap signing, but after that we are pretty much non factors in FA. I guess my point is this team just does not get talked about. Nothing. It really is like the grandma saying they try hard, bless their hearts when we are talked about. This team needs something to be excited about. Accepting the status quo just isn't working. The frustration of us fans needs to be known, not shoved aside with saying, we'll get them next year. I have watching this team for a long long time, and it hurts and is maddening to be just a side story in the NBA.

Becoming a punchline? Correct me if I am wrong , but I am pretty sure we have been there a while now. Our current coach and GM are currently working on changing that if allowed.

If you want a punchline Google the amount of NBA championships per team and you will find your true punchline... The NBA system as whole is a joke in high favor of some teams and not so much others.. Think about this - If Lebron does sign with Cleveland they will have four , that's right I said four , four #1 picks on their current roster. If that is not obvious tampering then you will not find a better case.NBA props up who the NBA wants to prop up.

Becoming a punchline? Correct me if I am wrong , but I am pretty sure we have been there a while now. Our current coach and GM are currently working on changing that if allowed.

If you want a punchline Google the amount of NBA championships per team and you will find your true punchline... The NBA system as whole is a joke in high favor of some teams and not so much others.. Think about this - If Lebron does sign with Cleveland they will have four , that's right I said four , four #1 picks on their current roster. If that is not obvious tampering then you will not find a better case.NBA props up who the NBA wants to prop up.

Oh I agree the landscape of the NBA is comical. It has been for quite some time now. I am mostly venting on just where this team stands in the eyes of the NBA and its fans. Now I hope they can change the team for the better. But I want excitement, I want something tangible, I want to stop thinking this team is a 4-8 seed most years with almost no hope to get out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. I want to turn on the radio and actually hear something good about this team, not just a side note.

You know how bad "Hawks who?" is? If we ever win the draft lottery, that would be our defining high point in decades. We could literally have one of the worst records in the league next year or be a top 3 seed, and we would have the same amount of attention attracted towards the word "Hawks". A punchline? Not worried about that.

Thabo was pretty good a few years ago, but it looks like he is in a decline. Same can be said about Deng. I am not saying I know more than the GM, but let's be honest here. When a big name, superstar, quality player is in FA, most of the time we aren't even in the running to get him. I am glad Ferry was able to dump contracts and get some cap space. But what exactly is that money going to? I love the Millsap signing, but after that we are pretty much non factors in FA. I guess my point is this team just does not get talked about. Nothing. It really is like the grandma saying they try hard, bless their hearts when we are talked about. This team needs something to be excited about. Accepting the status quo just isn't working. The frustration of us fans needs to be known, not shoved aside with saying, we'll get them next year. I have watching this team for a long long time, and it hurts and is maddening to be just a side story in the NBA.

I have to disagree that Thabo and deng our on the decline. They were both hit with some serious injuries this past season and probably should have not been playing.

Anyways it's easy for these 2 to regain their 3ball...that I'm not worried about at all. I think the challenge or let's say decline comes in at the defense side. Both were once elite defenders and honestly those days for both are gone but I do believe...actually I gurantee that both still have the ability to play good defense that can be great defense if they have a good team defense surrounding them! Thabo especially!

Add deng, Thabo, to what we already have in DMC and we just became a way better defense especially on the perimeter.

Among casual fans yeah, who I care nothing about. Real basketball fans are still marveling at what the Spurs did with their boring bland guys, none of which make over $10 million nor view themselves as brands. National attention is driven mostly by TV ratings it seems. You'd find some of the most awful, mindless, ridiculous TV programming at the top of the ratings list, so I'm cool with being a punchline or whatever. If we win a title with this style, well get as much recognition as the San Francisco Giants got for winning the World Series or Joe Flacco and the Ravens for winning the Super Bowl a few years back, which was zero.

A punch line? Our GM has dumped JJ's contract, convined Utah to take Marvin, and Detroit takes Smoove. Plus we bring in all star for peanuts. And the fact we have a coach with 18 years experience under, pop, another champion. I don't think people are laughing...

He will be gone in a few seasons, just like everybody else.

I would say that if you think this franchise is a punchline, then please go follow another team.  

"If" we make it far in the playoffs one year, it will make it that much sweeter.  That is what is called being a fan.  

Among casual fans yeah, who I care nothing about. Real basketball fans are still marveling at what the Spurs did with their boring bland guys, none of which make over $10 million nor view themselves as brands. National attention is driven mostly by TV ratings it seems. You'd find some of the most awful, mindless, ridiculous TV programming at the top of the ratings list, so I'm cool with being a punchline or whatever. If we win a title with this style, well get as much recognition as the San Francisco Giants got for winning the World Series or Joe Flacco and the Ravens for winning the Super Bowl a few years back, which was zero.

Oh TV can be terrible I agree. But also remember Tim Duncan was a number 1 pick overall. When was the last time we had that kind of star? Wilkins? I would love for us to win a championship and I don't care how they do it. But they need something more than they have.

I would say that if you think this franchise is a punchline, then please go follow another team.

"If" we make it far in the playoffs one year, it will make it that much sweeter. That is what is called being a fan.

I have been a fan for 30 years and will be for another 30 years God willing. Being a true fan has nothing do with putting your head in the sand and pretending this franchise is something its not..

• Like 2