• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ATLANTA HAWKS 2014 5 BOLD PREDICTIONS

NJHAWK

I say watch out for Brooklyn... and NY.

If Brooklyn gets a healthy Lopez, they will make the playoffs.   If NY finds a game for Calderon, they will make noise.

The people sleeping on Brooklyn . . and that includes the national media . . are crazy.

Hollins will instantly make them a better defensive team, and they still have 3 above average offensive players who can carry the load at any given time.

PG - Deron

G - JJ

F - Kirilenko

PF - Garnett

C - Lopez

Or if they want more spacing, they'll start Teletovic instead of KG, and bring Garnett off the bench.  JJ arguably played as well as he ever played, during the playoffs last year.   Everybody is expecting them to fall off because they are "old".  We'll see.   I say that they win the Atlantic, though they'll be in a dogfight with Toronto all year.

• Moderators

The East is wide open for next season.  We could be anywhere from the 2nd seed all the way to a lottery team.  Some questions:

Who is going to win the central division?  Chicago, Indiana, and Cleveland will all make the playoffs.

Who will win the Southeast?  Atlanta has been a staple, but  Miami is still competitive and Washington and Charlotte are legit teams now.

How big of an impact will Stephenson make to both Indiana and Charlotte?  Cleveland should make the playoffs, but will they be a great team?

What influence will Phil Jackson have on New York - Are they better now?  Is Brooklyn still competitive?  Does Atlanta have enough? What do expect from Toronto?

There are 15 teams in the East and there are 11 viable teams that could make the postseason.  Boston, Orlando, Philly, and Milwaukee are the only teams I see that have no chance of making it.  11 teams and 8 seeds, someone will be left in the cold.

PSSSHHHRRR87's Ranking the East:

1. Chicago - Noah/Gasol/Gibson/Butler/Rose

2. Cleveland - Varejao/Thompson/James/Wiggins/Irving

3. Indiana - Hibbert/West/George/Stuckey/Hill

4. Miami - McRoberts/Bosh/Deng/Wade/Chalmers

5. Atlanta - Horford/Millsap/Carroll/Korver/Teague

6. Toronto - Valanciunas/Johnson/Ross/DeRozan/Lowry

7. Washington - Gortat/Nene/Pierce/Beal/Wall

8. New York - Bargnani/Stoudemire/Anthony/Smith/Calderon

9. Charlotte - Jefferson/Williams/Kidd-Gilchrist/Stephenson/Walker

10. Detroit - Drummond/Monroe/Smith/Meeks/Jennings

11. Brooklyn - Lopez/Garnett/Johnson/Anderson/Williams

12. Boston - Sullinger/Bass/Green/Bradley/Rondo

13. Orlando - Vucevic/Frye/A. Gordon/B. Gordon/Oladipo

14. Milwaukee - Sanders/Henson/Parker/Mayo/Knight

15. Philadelphia - Noel/Young/Thompson/Wroten/Carter-Williams

Used depth charts from RealGM to form starters

• Like 1

The East is wide open for next season.  We could be anywhere from the 2nd seed all the way to a lottery team.  Some questions:

Who is going to win the central division?  Chicago, Indiana, and Cleveland will all make the playoffs.

Who will win the Southeast?  Atlanta has been a staple, but  Miami is still competitive and Washington and Charlotte are legit teams now.

How big of an impact will Stephenson make to both Indiana and Charlotte?  Cleveland should make the playoffs, but will they be a great team?

What influence will Phil Jackson have on New York - Are they better now?  Is Brooklyn still competitive?  Does Atlanta have enough? What do expect from Toronto?

There are 15 teams in the East and there are 11 viable teams that could make the postseason.  Boston, Orlando, Philly, and Milwaukee are the only teams I see that have no chance of making it.  11 teams and 8 seeds, someone will be left in the cold.

Used depth charts from RealGM to form starters

Brooklyn 11th?   Is that wishful thinking, so that the Hawks can get a lottery pick in a swap?   Or do you have a very legit reason behind this?

- they get back Lopez

- the get a HUGE upgrade in coach, by replacing Kidd with Hollins

- Deron finally has his surgery on his ankles

Their 3 stars are arguably in, or close to their prime in their career.   They got defenders and shooters all over that team.   How are they going to completely fall off this season, after being the BEST team in the East after January 1st of last year?

• Moderators

Brooklyn 11th?   Is that wishful thinking, so that the Hawks can get a lottery pick in a swap?   Or do you have a very legit reason behind this?

- they get back Lopez

- the get a HUGE upgrade in coach, by replacing Kidd with Hollins

- Deron finally has his surgery on his ankles

Their 3 stars are arguably in, or close to their prime in their career.   They got defenders and shooters all over that team.   How are they going to completely fall off this season, after being the BEST team in the East after January 1st of last year?

1. Lopez is injury-prone and an offensive center that doesn't rebound the basketball  They don't have a defensive anchor.

2. KG is another year older and is 3 seasons past his prime.

3. Joe will be Joe.  Probably the only consistent, reliable player from this starting core.

4. Anderson is a good player, but should not be starting.

5. D-Will needs to prove that he can keep the weight off and return to Utah form.  Until he does, I'll continue to think of him as the overweight, use to be All Star.

Brooklyn has a TON to prove.  They also lost Pierce and Livingston, and have only added Jarrett Jack.

And no, I am not a blind Hawks homer that is searching for a lottery swap.  I legitimately think Brooklyn will struggle for an 8th seed with all that is going on with them and how evenly matched the East is. 

I have a ton of respect for Hollins, but he inherited a great, blue-collar defensive team in Memphis.  Brooklyn is not anywhere near Memphis defensively and Brooklyn is not loaded with shooters, so get outta here with that jazz.  There is not one guy in their starting lineup or bench that I'd trust to get me a shot when I need it.  Their only "shooter" is Teletovic.

Their bench is average at best and is only 7-8 deep.  Brooklyn will struggle, even if Kirilenko starts instead of Anderson.  And 2 of their 3 stars are on the backside of their prime.

My opinion - Joe will continue being Joe (16 ppg), D-Will never returns to Utah D-Will and will continue the rest of his career as a 15 ppg and 8 apg player, and Lopez will continue to have injury concerns, be a poor rebounder, and average defensively.  Their bench will stay only as deep as Jack, Blatche, AK-47/Anderson, and Teletovic.  They are the 11th best team in the East.  Only way they make the playoffs is if New York continues being the Clusterf***s and Toronto falters and the Nets, by the grace of God, wins the Atlantic division.  That is the only way because they aren't better than 5 other teams to win a wild card.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Instead of 1 prediction . . . here's my 5

5) Bazemore will disappoint the fan base

4) Payne plays well enough to become the 3rd big off the bench, and makes All-Rookie 2nd team.

3) DeMarre Carroll makes good on his "African-American Kyle Korver" prediction, and shoots 40% from 3 point range.

2) The fan base will completely HATE Thabo Sefolosha by January

1) Horford suffers an injury ( out 2 - 3 weeks ) guarding a big center, prompting him to say that he doesn't want to play center full time anymore.   He even hints at wanting a trade if the Hawks can't bring in a big guy to help him.  So the Hawks react . . . by either trading Millsap for a center . . or trading Horford himself.

The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing hawks fans that Horford gets injured because he's playing center.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing hawks fans that Horford gets injured because he's playing center.

Why does Al keep saying he doesnt want to play Center?

• Moderators

Why does Al keep saying he doesnt want to play Center?

Because guarding big guys is a pain in the ass.   Hell that's why I don't play pick up ball anymore.   But him not wanting to doesn't mean his injuries are caused by it.  And in fact, he has never said that he thought his injuries were from having to play center (that i'm aware of).    But I still ask the question that no one answers.   

If Al is so much better at PF and better off at PF then why has he never been played there are a regular basis?

Those aren't bold predictions........bold predictions:

• Bud will be coach of the year
  • We will have 3 All-Stars 
  • DMC will make the All-defensive squad

Gawd, I love your optimism... But bold is still crazy. Three all stars? Coach of the year? DMC doing anything on a all... Whatever squad...... You whiffed on those three...

Gawd, I love your optimism... But bold is still crazy. Three all stars? Coach of the year? DMC doing anything on a all... Whatever squad...... You whiffed on those three...

We'll see.  I look at like this before Al's injury Bud was in the Coach of the year discussion.   Milsap is on team USA and made the ASG last year.  Horf was enroute to making it last year.  That leaves Teague(who was getting good press) and Korver(another team USA member) to sneak in.  I like their chances.   That leaves DMC who should have been considered last year and with Thabo helping to raise our defensive profile he should have a chance.   

1. Sefolosha has a resurgence and shoots above 37% from 3

2. Horford misses < 2 games

3. Muscala makes us forget mike scott with his improvement (if he does end up in russia)

4. Teague and Bazemore wreak havoc defensively in the backcourt and lead to a lot of easy fast break points.

5. Somebody gets traded

• Premium Member

Top:

Middle:

Bottom:

Out:

I think your rankings are pretty safe.  I don't like to make predictions on the actual finish, but I feel safe talking about the top, middle, and bottom of the conference.  Separating your list pretty much lines up with what I expect while looking over last year's standings and the current changes.

Teams in bold italic are wildcards for me:

Miami - I depending on how healthy Wade is, I think Miami can surprise.  Bosh has been hiding in the shadow of all the hoopla in South Beach the last 4 years and people have slept on him.

Charlotte - The East was weak last year and a lot of teams' records looked better than they actually were.  Charlotte and Washington were two of them.  I have no idea what kind of dynamic Lance will bring to that team, but I don't like his ego/attitude.  He's a decently talented sidekick, but he thinks more of himself than he should.  Good Lance will propel this team to the upper middle.  Bad Lance will knock them out of the playoffs.

Brooklyn - I think you have them too low.  Injuries could prove you right, but barring that...they should make the playoffs and complicate the middle of the pack even more.

I wouldn't say the East is wide open, because Chicago, Indiana, and Cleveland (and probably Miami) should lock down the top - especially if Rose returns to form and Cleveland makes a trade.  I do think the middle will see a lot of parity down to the 7th seed.  Unfortunately, I think we're a part of that middle.  I can't say with any confidence that we're head and shoulders better than anyone else in there.  Especially not Toronto who I fully expect to claim one of the 3/4 seeds.

• Like 1

If Al is so much better at PF and better off at PF then why has he never been played there are a regular basis?

That's easy, the Hawks have never once attempted to get a real center.  Next question.

I dont think miami will be in the upper level in the East. Their starting 5 looks solid, but they have zero depth or scoring on the bench. They are really going to struggle in games where Deng or Wade are out and I could see them missing around 20 games combined.

I do agree that Bosh will quiet a lot of his doubters this season. I expect Bosh to have a huge season. The

Edited by JETSET