• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Ferry stays on as GM...

Sothron

It was a witch hunt but Ferry dug his own grave and has to reap the consequences. So just because we can't lure free agents means it's perfectly fine to keep someone who's lack of ability to land free agents just got even worse. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

There are punishments in this world that dont involve being fired. If you say some racist joke at the water cooler at work and I record that and give it to our boss, I dont believe you should be faced with that severe a penalty. There are pther punishments that would suffice.

• Like 1

• Moderators

There are punishments in this world that dont involve being fired. If you say some racist joke at the water cooler at work and I record that and give it to our boss, I dont believe you should be faced with that severe a penalty. There are pther punishments that would suffice.

This is more like you repeating the joke in a meeting with your boss.  Either way, I think a critical issue for Ferry is whether the public and NBA players will view him as damaged goods going forward.  A large part of his job is sales (to free agents) and if his reputation is ruined with them then it really doesn't matter whether this amounts to just cause to terminate him or not.  If you can't be effective, then the team suffers regardless of whether the underlying damage to reputation is fair or justified.  

With guys like Magic Johnson are calling for Ferry to be fired, it raises the question how the rank and file of the NBA players are reacting.  Silver spoke up for him today so that is a positive for him but the question is still very open in my mind whether he can be effective as a leader for the Hawks or not going forward.

This wasn't a joke.  This was the questioning of the character of a free agent target.  Surely you can see how this will make Ferry's job problematic with free agents, their agents AND dealing with other teams around the league.

This is more like you repeating the joke in a meeting with your boss. Either way, I think a critical issue for Ferry is whether the public and NBA players will view him as damaged goods going forward. A large part of his job is sales (to free agents) and if his reputation is ruined with them then it really doesn't matter whether this amounts to just cause to terminate him or not. If you can't be effective, then the team suffers regardless of whether the underlying damage to reputation is fair or justified.

With guys like Magic Johnson are calling for Ferry to be fired, it raises the question how the rank and file of the NBA players are reacting. Silver spoke up for him today so that is a positive for him but the question is still very open in my mind whether he can be effective as a leader for the Hawks or not going forward.

I agree with everything you said. The dilemma here is how do we guage how other people view him. I think first thing is see how our current players feel about ferry. I mean players have not run away from the clippers after even more vulgar racist statements by THEIR owner.

This man ferry has not shown the type of racism people are labeling him with. Black personnel have been placed in high positions throughout our organization and we have a culuturally diverse roster.

This wasn't a joke. This was the questioning of the character of a free agent target. Surely you can see how this will make Ferry's job problematic with free agents, their agents AND dealing with other teams around the league.

Well his statements were relevant. The whole bobble head thing sheds light into the ego of deng and how it would fit with our current culture.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree with everything you said. The dilemma here is how do we guage how other people view him. I think first thing is see how our current players feel about ferry. I mean players have not run away from the clippers after even more vulgar racist statements by THEIR owner.

You and I are thinking about this largely the same way about the reaction of our own players being the place to start and then needing to look around the league at player reaction.  Now where I will disagree a bit is on the Clippers.  Even ignoring the fact that some of the players were ready to walk off the court after the bit with Sterling (whose record is much worse than Ferry's), even before things blew up for the Clips they couldn't attract good free agents or retain their own best players over a 30 year period with Sterling's racist and incompetent self behind the scenes.  The only time they ever began to get attractive to other players is when they combined Chris Paul with #1 overall pick Blake Griffin.  I would say that at that point they started to overcome the reluctance of players to go there.

I don't want to be viewed like the Clippers circa 1995 where our best picks leave when they get the chance and free agents don't want to have anything to do with us unless we pay a premium to get them (and the best don't consider that).

Edited by AHF

Well his statements were relevant. The whole bobble head thing sheds light into the ego of deng and how it would fit with our current culture.

Well if you want to cherry pick that and live out the racist stuff than sure but the bobble head/ego stuff was being used to reinforce the racial slurs.  So the "culture" they are looking for sounds racist.

I don't want to be viewed like the Clippers circa 1995 where our best picks leave when they get the chance and free agents don't want to have anything to do with us unless we pay a premium to get them (and the best don't consider that).

So much this.

You and I are thinking about this largely the same way. Now where I will disagree a bit is on the Clippers. Even ignoring the fact that some of the players were ready to walk off the court after the bit with Sterling (whose record is much worse than Ferry's), even before things blew up for the Clips they couldn't attract good free agents or retain their own best players over a 30 year period with Sterling's racist and incompetent self behind the scenes. The only time they ever began to get attractive to other players is when they combined Chris Paul with #1 overall pick Blake Griffin. I would say that at that point they started to overcome the reluctance of players to go there.

That is an uderstandable gripe some fans have. Do you think this negates the tweet from earlier this summer saying free agents are interested in our playing style and playing for coach bud?

Here's a separate thought. The woj article stated that gearon was aware of the email by levenson but had no issue with it until the investigation uncovered it. Should he be sent packing as well? Imo he's just as guilty as levenson.

That is an uderstandable gripe some fans have. Do you think this negates the tweet from earlier this summer saying free agents are interested in our playing style and playing for coach bud?

Here's a separate thought. The woj article stated that gearon was aware of the email by levenson but had no issue with it until the investigation uncovered it. Should he be sent packing as well? Imo he's just as guilty as levenson.

Yet no good free agents took our money.  In fact a lot of our targets took less money to play elsewhere.

They should all be sent packing.

List those players for me.

No superstar is leaving their current team unless we overpay. I am against that and If they want more, good bye.

We reportedly offered Deng and Gasol more than they signed for.

• Like 1

if enough people make it an issue its an issue - you can smoke crack on video and be relected - you can kill dogs and be reinstated -you can kill someone via vehicular homicide and be reinstated - heck you can  knock out your wife and can be reinstated -  but if you utter any comments that can be somehow construed as racist AND are white you are more than likely going to be destroyed.  In this day and age , you better have every word that comes out your mouth vetted by an approved spokesman - and you better burn the tape if it can be used against and kill the only witness and dispose of the body .

Oh lawd the white man is so discriminated against. Sad, that while you are trying to fight the Pro White fight you are missing the point. This is not about being white or race this is about leadership, societal status, power and control, decision making. I don't want someone with such poor decision making in a possession to make decisions.

Bud caught a DUI. We let that go. Ferry is now seen as a racist by some and a horrible decision maker by some we can let that go, but how do we expect to be taken seriously with all of this creating a culture talk.

We are obviously creating a culture that allows people that make decisions and have the power and control to get away with too much. From blaming fans for them not being more successful as a business to blaming everyone else for judging them too harshly when they should have known that such comes with the position.

Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

People gotta stop with the "is it racist or not" discussion. It's not even about that anymore. It's about the aftermath in NBA circles.

It is all about the racism aspect though. We should be pretty damn sure that someone is a racist before we take away their livelihood.

• Like 3

Silver said he doesn't believe Ferry's job should be in jeopardy. I agree and am relieved we don't have to start all over. I trust that Koonin handled it sternly enough. I for one could care less about political, racial, or social issues in sports. Far beyond my realm of concern. I wanna see what type of game Baze got and how Al is gonna bounce back.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

So did u want us to offer them even more? That sounds like the supporting cast here wasnt up to their standards. If thats how they feel, let them go...its not like they are young talent.

No I want us to be a place where free agents want to come and even before this bombshell they had no reason to come here.  Now the good talents will sure as heck stay away now.  Gasol and Deng are good players but they aren't if elite talents but still don't want our money.  Players have brands too and they don't want their name to be associated with this mess.