• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Magic meets with Ferry, says he deserves 2nd chance

Admin

#readbetweenthelines

Magic Johnson said that Hawks general manager Danny Ferry deserves a second chance after the two held a lengthy meeting Tuesday. The Hall of Famer took to social media later in the day to state his case.

Johnson was one of several high-profile people that immediately called for Ferry to be fired after it was revealed that he used a racist comment to describe free agent Luol Deng in a conference call with ownership and management in June. Ferry has stated that he was reading from a background report. He was disciplined by the organization but later requested and was granted an indefinite leave of absence.

Johnson sent out a series of posts on Twitter following the meeting. They read:

* “Just had a heart to heart meeting w/ Hawks GM Danny Ferry! He apologized for his comments about Luol Deng & the African American community.”

* “In our meeting Danny Ferry’s apology was very sincere.”

* “I have a lot of respect for Danny because he called and wanted to talk about how his comments offended so many people.”

* “After our long meeting, I think he deserves a second chance whether it is with the Hawks or another team.”

Ferry, who has been on leave since Sept. 12, did not immediately return a message. His leave of absence has been one part of the latest controversy to rock the Hawks organization. Controlling owner Bruce Levenson and his Washington, D.C. partners have agreed to sell their stake in the team after a racially inflammatory email written by Levenson in 2012 was discovered as part on an investigation into Ferry’s comment.

Johnson also tweeted his advice that Hawks CEO Steve Koonin hire Dominique Wilkins as a high-level executive with the team. Wilkins currently serves as Vice President of Basketball and as the team’s broadcast analyst.

Who the f cares about Magic?

Also, Nique is already VP of Basketball... I'm not sure what that means but it's there.

I would say that Magic carries some sway in the NBA. And it just puts a little more coal on the fire for me about Magic possibly becoming a part owner. 

• Moderators

Also, Nique is already VP of Basketball... I'm not sure what that means but it's there.

This was my first thought too.  Who cares what Magic has to say... but I agree with him.  Danny does deserve a second chance, especially since of the way the clownership threw him under a bus.

• Moderators

Isn't it a good thing when people can actually talk like civilized people, air out their grievances, find common ground and finds ways to move forward in a positive direction?

I have no idea what it means going forward, but it's a good thing either way.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Lol, in or out Mag.  Last week it was hands off the Hawks, this week you're all up in the mix.

• Premium Member

I hope......with all the hope that I can hope with...  

That Danny Ferry gets his job back.  I hope that we do not have a single major injury over the next 3 years.  I hope we drop ALL the owners and a new guy comes in with all the money.  I hope so bad.....lol.  I hope there is not one single obstacle in our way over the next 3-5 seasons and that Danny Ferry doesn't change one single thing about how he works.

For the love of cheese, let it be so.  lol

Edited by Wretch