• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Muscala article

macdaddy

• Moderators

I thought this was a good read.   Reading between the lines the way they describe what they want him to strive for pretty much describes Horford to a T.   I also think his development is why they parted with Bebe.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/hawks-high-on-muscalas-development/nhdcQ/

“There is a little bit of a calming and confidence-type growth,” Budenholzer said. “He plays so hard, which is a huge skill. It sounds easy but it’s important, and it’s going to allow him a chance to be good. You also have to have a confidence and a poise when you are playing really hard, which is not easy and it kind of counterintuitive. I think he’s calmed down a little bit. He’s confident. He knows how to play hard and how to still function on the court and get positive things.

“Playing without fouling, screening, he still has a lot of areas in understanding the nuances of the offense and ball movement and trusting the system and the teammates. He’s still got a ways to go.”

This has been in the back of my mind since media day... Bud and Co. are shaping Moose to be similar to Horford. Now that begs the question... Is that for insurance for Horford leaving or for depth?

At this point it's Quality depth.

The good thing is Moose's contract is awesome - he signed a 4 year deal when he joined last season, all at the Hawks option.

• Moderators

I don't think we are trying to shape him to be Horford. He is a stretch big which is common with Horf. We want all our players to play at least modest D and all our bigs to rebound. That doesn't raise a connection with Horford - that just describes a fundamentally sound player and Horf is rock solid fundamentally. Muscala will never be confused with Horford.

• Like 4

At this point it's Quality depth.

The good thing is Moose's contract is awesome - he signed a 4 year deal when he joined last season, all at the Hawks option.

Agreed. The Moose contract might prove to be incredibly valuable over the next few years. Could be an amazing return on a small investment.

HE'S NOT GREAT BUT, DANG, HE'S PRETTY GOOD AND GETTING BETTER!

Would that describe Moose?  Works hard at his craft.  Has the physical and

mental tools to get the job done.  Coachable.

We have had players in the past who were physically able to be NBA players

but who couldn't or wouldn't take coaching.  Muscala apparently isn't like this.

He's one of ours and I like him!

GO HAWKS!

JBH and sturt - we can now hire Lambier as an assistant coach to school Moose.  He got fired from his WNBA job today.  He could teach Moose his whole bag of dirty tricks - the Invisible Elbow, Fouls that Don't Get Caught, the Legal Moving Screen, Hard Fouls 101, and Hard Fouls Advanced, among others.  He actually did that really well in NY and Detroit with women players, but didn't rack up enough wins in NY.

Edited by Randy