Nabisco Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies..

willthepureshooter

Not easy to come by, but when the team never makes getting one a priority, then its likely we never get one.  I'm afraid Al making the All Star team as a center convinced these guys that they had that position locked down, and they've never been serious about getting one since. 

• Like 1

Not easy to come by, but when the team never makes getting one a priority, then its likely we never get one.  I'm afraid Al making the All Star team as a center convinced these guys that they had that position locked down, and they've never been serious about getting one since. 

I think people underestimated Smoove/Horf defensive pairing. Last year fooled the Hawks. Horf got hurt when we had the weakest schedule in the NBA at the time with Milwaukee. Horf really wasn't tested as a center and he was healthy and stronger last year. I still think healthy Horf would be offensively beastly but defensively, he was going to get expose last year. 

The thing is... We need a player like Omar Asik to play next to him.  We need that, and a guard that can take some of the scoring pressure off. The problem seems to be that getting both of those type of players is tough, but it also appears that the coaches and Ferry want to have 5 options on the floor all of the time. The problem is that you don't win championships that way now. 

I think you nailed precisely why Al hasn't been moved to PF.  You don't have a crazy good wing scorer like a Durant or Harden and Al isn't anywhere in the realm of an Aldridge or Anthony Davis to justify having one way stiffs like Asik, Lopez or Perkins.  Whatever you gain defensively with those lineups you've lost entirely offensively leaving you with no net gain.  You might say that the defense and rebounding is more important but it's not when you're going to have a frontcourt tandem struggling to give you 20 points total a night as opposed to 30+ and no individual in the roster who can match that total on his own. You simply don't move a guy who struggles to average 14 points throughout his career based on speed and mobility against slower guys and think that he's going to blow up matching speed and mobility against faster and more mobile opponents.

Where you're absolutely wrong is that you do win championships exactly that way except that all of these championship teams roll out 5 offensive options in addition to already having 3-4 big guns.  Boris Diaw plays more minutes than Splitter does at Center for the Spurs and Chris Bosh isn't playing Center for his health nor is he bitching or being affected by it like most claim the position has an effect on Al.  Maximum spacing isn't unique to the Hawks but there is a talent deficiency making even running the most efficient systems not look nearly as good as better talented teams that run a similar system.

I would like a scoring rebounding big who plays great man D like Pek as an option or  Monroe. I don't think a rim protector is needed if Horf's at PF. Only when he's playing center. 

As for a scoring SG. That's what this team needs. Not a ball stopping one but one like Beal or Klay Thompson. I think trading Jeff for someone like Nik S or Ben Mac is good deal for us. Especially Nik S who would be the perfect fit potentially for us. 

You been on a roll Hots. I can't lie, your 45 win at most looks right compared to my 48-50 win projection. 

A scoring SG?? 

Is that not exactly what we have in Korver who leads all starters in the league in TS% at over 70%.

I will take a post player over a Kyle replacement any day of the week.

Kyle's last 4 games:   20.3 ppg 17-32 3s. 20-21 FTs. .649 eFG%

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

A scoring SG?? 

Is that not exactly what we have in Korver who leads all starters in the league in TS% at over 70%.

Kyle is a shooter. He's not really what we call a scorer. He needs space to operate. He can't create his own offense. He can't score from all over the place like Reggie Miller neither. 

Kyle specializes in efficiency, BBIQ and off the ball movement like healthy Al. This is the best ball Kyle has played in his career at the age of 33. Him and Joe and found the fountain of youth.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

The Spurs had mostly 5 options on court,didnt they win it last year?

In the mavs championship Foster, wasnt there plenty oft optioms too?

What changed that this isnt Wirkung anymore this year?

The Spurs have Tim Duncan and they have better players. Dallas had Chandler who rebounded, defended and block shots in the paint. That's why they brought Chandler back... In hopes of getting that "magic" back.

• Like 1

A scoring SG?? 

Kyle has been in this league for a decade. Do you really think that he is going to continue at this pace? Moreover, he is a one trick pony as a scorer.

The Spurs have Tim Duncan and they have better players. Dallas had Chandler who rebounded, defended and block shots in the paint. That's why they brought Chandler back... In hopes of getting that "magic" back.

Dallas looks like a title contender. The Spurs most def have better players. TD is a All timer. Manu and Parker are HOF's. Khawi is a star. Hawks have two decent SF's. A good SG in Korver who struggles greatly when his shot is off. Al is usually the best player but recovering from a major injury. A very good PF in Sap. San Antonio is an elite team. Atlanta is a decent team. Talent gap is quite huge and it doesn't look good with the exception of Dennis in my opinion. We need to address center and the future of SG and SF with Kyle's age and a lack of good or very good talent at SF. 

I would like a scoring rebounding big who plays great man D like Pek as an option or  Monroe. I don't think a rim protector is needed if Horf's at PF. Only when he's playing center. 

As for a scoring SG. That's what this team needs. Not a ball stopping one but one like Beal or Klay Thompson. I think trading Jeff for someone like Nik S or Ben Mac is good deal for us. Especially Nik S who would be the perfect fit potentially for us. 

You been on a roll Hots. I can't lie, your 45 win at most looks right compared to my 48-50 win projection. 

I don't believe this team will get any further than it has without a defensive piece upfront. Someone that will do the dirty work.

• Like 1

Kyle has been in this league for a decade. Do you really think that he is going to continue at this pace? Moreover, he is a one trick pony as a scorer.

I see zero reason as to why he can't continue at this pace for another 2-3 years.  His game does not rely on athleticism at all and Bud has clearly been helping him develop his game in ways that he had never access to before.  He even credited Quin for helping him develop the shot that he hit over Favors late in the Jazz game to help us win.

He is a smart player and has stated that he is in the best shape of his life.  One of the most underrated players in the league and even our own fanbase can't see it. 

• Like 1

Kyle is a shooter. He's not really what we call a scorer. He needs space to operate. He can't create his own offense. He can't score from all over the place like Reggie Miller neither. 

Kyle specializes in efficiency, BBIQ and off the ball movement like healthy Al. This is the best ball Kyle has played in his career at the age of 33. Him and Joe and found the fountain of youth.

He can't create his own shot as well as say Dwayne Wade, but he has made tremendous progress in that aspect over the past 2 years.  He has been taking far more midrange shots than I have seen him take previously.  That shot over Favors is a new addition to his arsenal as well. 

I would rather have a SF who can create their own shot while leaving Korver in the starting lineup than replacing Korver.  His value to this team is criminally underrated. 

Not easy to come by, but when the team never makes getting one a priority, then its likely we never get one. I'm afraid Al making the All Star team as a center convinced these guys that they had that position locked down, and they've never been serious about getting one since.

No effort? We've drafted 4 guys 6'10 or better in the past 2 years alone. Assuming Payne plays C that would be 4 centers. I'd say they're making an effort.

• Like 1

I was looking at the stats, and we are scary bad in some categories. Look at this: 

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/shooting/

0-5 FG% is beyond awful. Only team worse is Philly who has NBDL players in the post. This is usually where Al comes in handy but not right now. This is our biggest issue with rebounding. Really lack of size is the biggest issue. An undersized PF with a regular size PF playing center is not a good idea at all. 

He can't create his own shot as well as say Dwayne Wade, but he has made tremendous progress in that aspect over the past 2 years.  He has been taking far more midrange shots than I have seen him take previously.  That shot over Favors is a new addition to his arsenal as well. 

I would rather have a SF who can create their own shot while leaving Korver in the starting lineup than replacing Korver.  His value to this team is criminally underrated. 

We don't need to replace Kyle. We need a player with more talent who we can develop at SG in time like Dennis and Jeff. Kyle is 33 years old. He's not going to do this for much longer. 

I was looking at the stats, and we are scary bad in some categories. Look at this: 

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/shooting/

0-5 FG% is beyond awful. Only team worse is Philly who has NBDL players in the post. This is usually where Al comes in handy but not right now. This is our biggest issue with rebounding. Really lack of size is the biggest issue. An undersized PF with a regular size PF playing center is not a good idea at all. 

That's not something that's going to continue for the whole season. We have too many guys who can score in close to be that poor. We've had a ton of shots that have rimmed out too so that doesn't bother me at this point of the season. 

• Like 2

We don't need to replace Kyle. We need a player with more talent who we can develop at SG in time like Dennis and Jeff. Kyle is 33 years old. He's not going to do this for much longer.

Nash and Kidd played arguably their best basketball in their 30's and while I realize they're outliers, I wouldn't put it past Kyle to have these as his best years and play this way for 2-3 more years.

• Like 1

Nash and Kidd played arguably their best basketball in their 30's and while I realize they're outliers, I wouldn't put it past Kyle to have these as his best years and play this way for 2-3 more years.

Two HOF's is most definitely not what I would use for the norm. With that said, I love what Kyle is doing this year. This system is made for guys like him and he's shining in it for now. 

I see zero reason as to why he can't continue at this pace for another 2-3 years.  His game does not rely on athleticism at all and Bud has clearly been helping him develop his game in ways that he had never access to before.  He even credited Quin for helping him develop the shot that he hit over Favors late in the Jazz game to help us win.

He is a smart player and has stated that he is in the best shape of his life.  One of the most underrated players in the league and even our own fanbase can't see it. 

What I mean is... When has Korver ever averaged 15-20 PPG like he has been doing for the first 7 games? It's crazy to expect him to do that when he hasn't done it in the last 10 years.

• Like 1