• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do we need to put us over the top?

Charman212002

We could use a big, versatile wing that can create a little bit, defend, rebound and hit shots. Batum, Gallo (healthly), Leonard; these are the types of guys I'd love to have. Obviously, easier said than done.

Horford getting back to where he was + development from Payne, Moose and Tavares should help fix our big-man issue.

Horford getting back to where he was + development from Payne, Moose and Tavares should help fix our big-man issue.

Thank you. Splitter has been out all season, yet the Spurs are at 15-5 with Bonner and Baynes both playing over 17 minutes. Moose and Payne project to be better than all their Bigs not named Tim Duncan. I totally forgot about Tavares.

I look around the league and there simply aren't many guys you can plug into this system and expect it to go off without a hitch: very high IQ guys with minimal ego who can shoot and hustle. Even the worst GMs and Operation Presidents wouldn't let guys like that get away without hefty compensation. Our chemistry is such where I'd be very cautious to pull the trigger on any of our 10 rotational guys. Seems as if the Nets pick might bear some fruit, I'd be willing to deal one or two for a quality two-way wing or defensive Big who could be considered a Top 50 player.

Most might remember we got rid of both a proven Iso scorer and a rim protector. We're doing just fine, them not so much.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Where did it say we offered less than the Heat did?

Did you not read the article?

This is a real bummer for Hawks fans as it was looking like htey might be in the driver’s seat to land Deng this summer. But it now appears as though the Miami Heat have moved into the lead to acquire Deng as they have more money and the desire to sign him.

Atlanta isn’t out of the running completely but it’s looking like they’ll need more than what they’re offering if they want to snag him off the open market.

Credit - Sam Ammick and SI

Edited by Vol4ever

This is a real bummer for Hawks fans as it was looking like htey might be in the driver’s seat to land Deng this summer. But it now appears as though the Miami Heat have moved into the lead to acquire Deng as they have more money and the desire to sign him.

Atlanta isn’t out of the running completely but it’s looking like they’ll need more than what they’re offering if they want to snag him off the open market.

Posting info in it's entirety is a requirement. Reports were we offered $11 he wanted more, Hawks said no - he signed with Miami for less.

"From this we can gather that Atlanta's reported 11 million dollar salary slot being offered is too little for Deng, who is likely seeking to get more out of Phoenix, Miami, Dallas, et al. for their leftover cap space after they struck out on LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. That Deng is bristling over that level of salary from Atlanta means he has to be looking for something in the three year, 39-45 million dollar range. It's also possible that the Hawks have only offered two seasons and Deng wants more, meaning more dollars over time than a two year offer could provide."

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/7/12/5893407/2014-nba-free-agent-rumors-luol-deng-atlanta-hawks-miami-heat

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I think Vol4ever means that the article didn't compare what we were offering to anyone else and it didn't say we offered less than Miami.  Other articles comparing the offers had Atlanta higher or equal to Miami's.  

Those other articles were also after this one which was before Atlanta was even done negotiating with Deng (which means they could have been offering $8M per at this point and then upped it to $11M per without either this article or JayBird's being wrong).

Edited by AHF

I read it. Did you? NOWHERE does it say that the Hawks offered less than Heat. You're making the assumption that he wanted the same amount from the Hawks as what he got from the Heat when the truth could be that he wanted more to play for the Hawks and we weren't willing to offer that much, which I absolutely agree with. 

• Premium Member

I read it. Did you? NOWHERE does it say that the Hawks offered less than Heat. You're making the assumption that he wanted the same amount from the Hawks as what he got from the Heat when the truth could be that he wanted more to play for the Hawks and we weren't willing to offer that much, which I absolutely agree with. 

Amick says in that article that the Hawks would have top come up with more than they were offering to sign him.   I dont have black and white proof we offered less so I will let it go aft this point.   You can believe what you want and I will stick with what I know.   

It doesnt take a genius to see that the Hawks have not signed anyone to a significant contract.  Look at the team, Sap at 9 million is the highest anybody has received from the Hawks.  If you look at the league rankings the Hawks are 26th in the NBA in salaries.  Now that doesnt say the highest payroll teams win, but the better players are not playing for low salaries and the Hawks will have to pay Millsap after this season.  

So that being said, a note to those who hang on everything the front office tells you it might be wise to just look at what has happened over the past few offseasons and take those rose colored glasses off.  

Amick says in that article that the Hawks would have top come up with more than they were offering to sign him. I dont have black and white proof we offered less so I will let it go aft this point. You can believe what you want and I will stick with what I know.

It doesnt take a genius to see that the Hawks have not signed anyone to a significant contract. Look at the team, Sap at 9 million is the highest anybody has received from the Hawks. If you look at the league rankings the Hawks are 26th in the NBA in salaries. Now that doesnt say the highest payroll teams win, but the better players are not playing for low salaries and the Hawks will have to pay Millsap after this season.

So that being said, a note to those who hang on everything the front office tells you it might be wise to just look at what has happened over the past few offseasons and take those rose colored glasses off.

The front office hasn't said squat, we are reading the same information/articles from these basketball writers, insiders etc.

Amick says in that article that the Hawks would have top come up with more than they were offering to sign him.   I dont have black and white proof we offered less so I will let it go aft this point.   You can believe what you want and I will stick with what I know.   

It doesnt take a genius to see that the Hawks have not signed anyone to a significant contract.  Look at the team, Sap at 9 million is the highest anybody has received from the Hawks.  If you look at the league rankings the Hawks are 26th in the NBA in salaries.  Now that doesnt say the highest payroll teams win, but the better players are not playing for low salaries and the Hawks will have to pay Millsap after this season.  

First off the link you posted was from a guy on Fansided named Josh Hill, who could be any anonymous person even here on Hawksquawk. He based his entire "article" on a Tweet from Amick. Nowhere in Amick's Tweet does it mention that the Hawks offered less than the Heat. 

It's funny though that when you go looking for the devil, it's easy to find him. In this case you are wise to give up your terrible attempt to slam the Hawks as you won't find any proof to back up your claims.