• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do we need to put us over the top?

Charman212002

Some rebounding and defense up front.

This has been a nice winning steak, but the schedule gets tough at the end of December:

vs. Chicago

@ Cleveland

@Houston

@Dallas

vs. Clippers

vs. Bucks

@Bucks

Cleveland

@Utah

@Portland

@Clippers

vs. Memphis

They could be back near .500 with that schedule coming up.

Hopefully the Hawks can at least go .500 during that stretch.   Before we hit that stretch though, I'd love to see us win these next 5 games vs below .500 teams, to soften the blow of that late December - early January stretch, if we do falter then.

What about going really hard next summer after Drummond, Monroe, De Andre, or Hibbert? Or work out some trade for Favors or Kanter?

I think that should be priority.

I think Millsapp could still function somewhat on par on SF as good as he is on PF. Its not a trade off without benefits regarding rebounding and interior D.

Then you could swap Horf to PF and see how that goes, also as time goes by and his inury woes and position are no longer an excuse. And if Horf is falling off a cliff, you still have that C position filled and can move Millsap back to PF.

• Premium Member

What about going really hard next summer after Drummond, Monroe, De Andre, or Hibbert? Or work out some trade for Favors or Kanter?

I think that should be priority.

I think Millsapp could still function somewhat on par on SF as good as he is on PF. Its not a trade off without benefits regarding rebounding and interior D.

Then you could swap Horf to PF and see how that goes, also as time goes by and his inury woes and position are no longer an excuse. And if Horf is falling off a cliff, you still have that C position filled and can move Millsap back to PF.

The problem is that we never go after the name free agents unless it's a low ball offer.

The problem is that we never go after the name free agents unless it's a low ball offer.

You keep saying that but yet to offer any real proof. Who did we offer less money last off season?

I think rather that FA's didnt want to come. But...Atlanta is slowly making a name for itself when things keep going as they are now. Imagine reaching the conference-finals. And with so many centers on the market next year, they cant all just pick the usual teams. And many of these resigning teams like Detroit are a real tough sell over the Hawks.

@Crazy Eye

Millsap played SF at Utah, and has a great leaping first step as a natural gift with his thick legs. So I think he could catch up suprisingly quick with faster SF on a small space, but indeed, running the floor up and down would be an issue. But as he has been adjusting to PF by building muscle, I think he can adjust by trimming down and adding speed and stamina.

I think Millsap is that kind of guy who has a very misleading physique, looking kinda sluggish and big-boned etc, but he's one of those power-ham's guys who have crazy stuff in their legs and hips causing for their center of bodyweight to be very low to the ground/feet, and therefore making those moving muscles allot more responsive. He will never be a gazelle out there but he's more agile and quicker than he looks, coupled with an explosive first step on that kind of a powerfull body. Kinda like Stojskov or Maradona in soccer.

And Millsap seems the kind of guy, ready to do whatever is expected to be done by him.

• Like 1

That would be a good point if it weren't false. We tried to max D12 two years ago. This year we offered Deng and Gasol the same thing they accepted with the Heat and Bulls, respectively, and I'm sure we offered the max to Lebron. 

• Premium Member

we need a superstar. once the playoffs start and the game slows down and the good defensive teams are running out on your shooters you need someone that can create and make their own shots. we absolutely do not have that on our team.

We need to do exactly what we've been doing all season: win and develop. This organization builds upon itself, the anwser is not outside Phillips. Carmelo is a superstar, some difference he's making. Everyone wanted a Pekovic-type, he's sure stepped up and lead that young team hasn't he?

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Were you asleep when the reports about us offering gasol 2 years 20 million were released?

Those are rumors, not fact. Actually the Hawks got in "late". On the Gasol bids. If they were "late" as reported that is a Atlanta Hawks problem. Deng signed with the Heat over the Hawks, that is a Hawks organization problem. Nobody wanted to come to Atlanta because it is a known fact that players do not take ownership seriously and don't believe Atlanta is serious about winning.

Go ahead and keep believing what you want to believe. As other things have come out, this too will eventually. I just want the Hawks to win, but you have to have commitment.

Alright who here is gonna walk into the GMs office to find official copies of the offers we've made. I don't mind doing it but I'm kinda far away. Clearly there's an expectation that this must be easy to do but at least we'll be able to "prove" what 99% here believe. 

Those are rumors, not fact. Actually the Hawks got in "late". On the Gasol bids. If they were "late" as reported that is a Atlanta Hawks problem. Deng signed with the Heat over the Hawks, that is a Hawks organization problem. Nobody wanted to come to Atlanta because it is a known fact that players do not take ownership seriously and don't believe Atlanta is serious about winning.

Go ahead and keep believing what you want to believe. As other things have come out, this too will eventually. I just want the Hawks to win, but you have to have commitment.

Late or otherwise your contention is that it's about the Hawks low balling players - we're still waiting. Where's your facts. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Prove it!

So you have no evidence at all that we lowballed anyone.

Then you have reports that we offered Gasol more than he accepted from Chicago and the exact same contract he took in Miami.  And you reject those because it is possible the press got it wrong knowing that the GM and the player's agent are very unlikely to ever come forward and discuss contracts that didn't happen in that kind of detail?  

Sorry.  All evidence says we were the highest offers those guys had and there is no evidence to the contrary.  I'm not saying the Hawks don't ever try to scrape some pennies together but it has been a while since there was any report of the Hawks lowballing anyone they wanted - much further back than these reports (or the JJ max deal or the Dwight max offer, etc.)

A more telling sign are the deals to Elton Brand.  Back in Belkin's day, we sure didn't sign guys to fill out the third level of our bench for multiple millions per season.  The $4M last year to Brand knowing that we did not expect him to start or be a primary backup is a very different situation from the days of getting some minimum contract guy just to stock the bench.