• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

What will it take for Payne to get minutes?

GameTime

That's who I think they are referring to as far as who Payne reminds them of.

But maybe not.

You realize Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker are different people, right? Come on Paula Deen not all black people look alike. no.gif  

Don't forget Shawn Kemp.   

I don't see Kemp in him other than some powerful athletic dunks. 

BBIQ and understanding the offense. It will take time. Most likely a year. This isn't the easiest offense to understand.

Still, there's no excuse for him seeing no game time. Coach Bud has proven he can develop talent so I'm not too concerned, but Jenkins, Muscala, and Payne have played well enough in the opportunities given to them to warrant more playing time.

• Moderators

Still, there's no excuse for him seeing no game time. Coach Bud has proven he can develop talent so I'm not too concerned, but Jenkins, Muscala, and Payne have played well enough in the opportunities given to them to warrant more playing time.

Jenkins and Payne have had zero opportunity other than impressing in practice unless you are talking about D-League results.

Moose at least has 75 minutes of play where he has looked great.

Jenkins has had 24 minutes of pretty bad play.

Payne hasn't been seen.

I think Jenkins will be cut next year but hope we have a good plan in place for integrating Payne.

Jenkins and Payne have had zero opportunity other than impressing in practice unless you are talking about D-League results.

Moose at least has 75 minutes of play where he has looked great.

Jenkins has had 24 minutes of pretty bad play.

Payne hasn't been seen.

I think Jenkins will be cut next year but hope we have a good plan in place for integrating Payne.

I was referring to the D-League and the preseason where they played well. To me they've earned more playing time, but it appears that Coach Bud sees things differently.

I really want to see Payne out there, but I can understand why it hasn't happened yet. Antić puts up garbage stats, but the team does play better when he's on the floor, Scott knows the offense and is shooting well, Brand produces whenever we break the emergency glass, and Moose has looked promising in the few minutes he's gotten. There just aren't a lot of minutes available for a rookie who may or may not be struggling with the system. And when you consider that we've won 10 of the last 11, it's not that imperative that we shake things up right now. If we hit a skid with this tough schedule coming up then hopefully Payne gets his chance. 

I was referring to the D-League and the preseason where they played well. To me they've earned more playing time, but it appears that Coach Bud sees things differently.

Impressing in DLeague warrants more playing time in actual NBA games?

I want to see Payne too but Bud has his reasons for his rotations.

Impressing in DLeague warrants more playing time in actual NBA games?

I want to see Payne too but Bud has his reasons for his rotations.

To me it does. He's making the most if the opportunities given to him so what else can he prove (to the fans at least). It would be different if he played some minutes and disappointed, but that hasn't happened. He's a first round pick anyways, he shouldn't be iced out like he is currently. U respect Bud's decision, but I don't agree with it.
  • Like 1

To me it does. He's making the most if the opportunities given to him so what else can he prove (to the fans at least). It would be different if he played some minutes and disappointed, but that hasn't happened. He's a first round pick anyways, he shouldn't be iced out like he is currently. U respect Bud's decision, but I don't agree with it.

That's cool. If we weren't winning games and had capable bigs in front of him it would be more of an issue.

Being out with the foot injury probably set him back from the start and with us winning it's difficult to fit him in the rotation with consistent minutes.

The most he would get is minutes in a blowout.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Anybody have any stats on how he is doing in the DLeague? I know earlier in the season he was putting up solid numbers but remember vaguely that his FG% was not great. Wonder if Bud is hoping he`ll get that fixed before considering bringing him up. (Or maybe his numbers are already better?)

Most impressive to me is the fact that he's pump faking on some of those three point shots. In college it was pretty much something inside or he would take the three. His senior season he had another wrinkle which was his mid range game, but he didn't have a ton of confidence in it.

Elton Brand and Pero provide next to nothing on the floor. It's mind boggling how they continue to get minutes, yet Payne can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have any stats on how he is doing in the DLeague? I know earlier in the season he was putting up solid numbers but remember vaguely that his FG% was not great. Wonder if Bud is hoping he`ll get that fixed before considering bringing him up. (Or maybe his numbers are already better?)

http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=204259

9 games:

29.2 minutes

13.7 points

9.2 rebounds

2.2 assists

1.0 blocks

0.7 steals

2.3 turnovers

.443/.167/.778

• Like 1

Payne seems to be a bit "slow-footed" for the NBA game and he really doesn't have a big jump in him. He was a gamble to begin with. He may end up as our desperation big until we get a better one - likely off to Israel or Greece before long.

Nothing against the guy - but if he "had it" Coach Bud would be giving him minutes. Let's face it - this Hawks team is out there to win games - not to develop a guy from "end of the bench" to second string(ish) with playing time in real NBA games.

We are past that sh!t. If he could play he would be playing...simple as that.

• Like 1

Most impressive to me is the fact that he's pump faking on some of those three point shots. In college it was pretty much something inside or he would take the three. His senior season he had another wrinkle which was his mid range game, but he didn't have a ton of confidence in it.

Elton Brand and Pero provide next to nothing on the floor. It's mind boggling how they continue to get minutes, yet Payne can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your obvious bias is clouding your judgment. Please tell me more about how brand offers nothing. He has looked great in every appearance this season.

Payne seems to be a bit "slow-footed" for the NBA game and he really doesn't have a big jump in him. He was a gamble to begin with. He may end up as our desperation big until we get a better one - likely off to Israel or Greece before long.

Nothing against the guy - but if he "had it" Coach Bud would be giving him minutes. Let's face it - this Hawks team is out there to win games - not to develop a guy from "end of the bench" to second string(ish) with playing time in real NBA games.

We are past that sh!t. If he could play he would be playing...simple as that.

When I said he is Marcus Fizer. I caught hell from posters and many others like him. His skill-set is similar. He just has more range. I don't see much difference. I don't see that explosiveness to dunk on ppl. Just tip in dunks. Defensively, they are similar. It will take him time tho. I don't see a very good player. Just a potentially good player who is kinda raw. See David West level if healthy.