• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SMH Jeff Teague is doubtful for tonight's game

JETSET

That's why I NEVER get those vaccines. As I understand it, they are only good for a single strain of the flu and the chances of you catching that strain aren't great enough to where I'm going to actively put that flu virus in my body. 

So in the NHL they've been mumping uglies? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's why I NEVER get those vaccines. As I understand it, they are only good for a single strain of the flu and the chances of you catching that strain aren't great enough to where I'm going to actively put that flu virus in my body. 

So in the NHL they've been mumping uglies? 

Actually I think the vaccine is usually pretty effective but I'm not an expert.   Certainly the at risk need to get it.  Yeah, hockey players have 'sharing water bottles'.  

Actually I think the vaccine is usually pretty effective but I'm not an expert.   Certainly the at risk need to get it.  Yeah, hockey players have 'sharing water bottles'.  

I'm not buying these numbers as they seem like propaganda but here's what WebMD says in quoting the CDC.

According to the CDC, the flu vaccine reduces the odds of getting the flu by 70% to 90%. 

You may wonder why there's such a wide range. And in fact, it's even wider than it seems: that statistic only applies to healthy adults. It turns out that the effectiveness of the flu vaccine depends on a number of different factors. Here's a rundown of what they are.

Your Age

The flu vaccine doesn't work equally well in all people. It’s most effective in healthy adults. In young children, the flu vaccine is a little less effective -- about 66% -- at preventing the flu. It’s more effective as children get older. 

After middle age, immunity naturally becomes weaker. The flu vaccine won’t work as well as it once did. But because the flu virus is much more dangerous for older people, it’s crucial that they get the vaccine. Even in cases where it doesn’t prevent the flu, it can still reduce the risk of serious side effects. Studies show that in older people who do not live in a care facility, the flu vaccine can cut the risk of hospitalization (for flu and pneumonia) by 30% to 70%. In people who do live in a nursing home or care facility, the flu vaccine is 50% to 60% effective in preventing hospitalization and 80% effective in preventing death from a flu complication.

There may also be slight differences depending on which vaccine you get. The CDC now recommends the nasal spray vaccine for healthy children 2 through 8 years old when it is available. But it may also be less effective than the injected flu vaccine in the elderly. In fact, a high-dose vaccine called Fluzone is recommended for older adults when available. The high-dose flu shot contains four times as much active ingredient as a regular flu shot.

• Premium Member

Flu vaccine is actually extremely helpful at preventing disease even if it only works half the time. And the shot/mist covers 3-4 of the expected strands for the upcoming flu season. Here are some numbers from a study of 2013-2014 flu season on the cdc website.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends annual influenza vaccination for all persons aged ≥6 months to reduce morbidity and mortality caused by influenza in the United States (1). CDC previously developed a model to estimate that annual influenza vaccination resulted in 1.1–6.6 million fewer cases and 7,700–79,000 fewer hospitalizations per season during the 2005–2013 influenza seasons (2,3). For the 2013–14 influenza season, using updated estimates of vaccination coverage, vaccine effectiveness, and influenza hospitalizations, CDC estimates that influenza vaccination prevented approximately 7.2 million illnesses, 3.1 million medically attended illnesses, and 90,000 hospitalizations associated with influenza. Similar to prior seasons, fewer than half of persons aged ≥6 months are estimated to have been vaccinated.* If influenza vaccination levels had reached the Healthy People 2020 target of 70%, an estimated additional 5.9 million illnesses, 2.3 million medically attended illnesses, and 42,000 hospitalizations associated with influenza might have been averted. For the nation to more fully benefit from influenza vaccines, more effort is needed to reach the Healthy People 2020 target.

Edited by Jdawgflow

Flu vaccine is actually extremely helpful at preventing disease even if it only works half the time. And the shot/mist covers 3-4 of the expected strands for the upcoming flu season. Here are some numbers from a study of 2013-2014 flu season on the cdc website.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends annual influenza vaccination for all persons aged ≥6 months to reduce morbidity and mortality caused by influenza in the United States (1). CDC previously developed a model to estimate that annual influenza vaccination resulted in 1.1–6.6 million fewer cases and 7,700–79,000 fewer hospitalizations per season during the 2005–2013 influenza seasons (2,3). For the 2013–14 influenza season, using updated estimates of vaccination coverage, vaccine effectiveness, and influenza hospitalizations, CDC estimates that influenza vaccination prevented approximately 7.2 million illnesses, 3.1 million medically attended illnesses, and 90,000 hospitalizations associated with influenza. Similar to prior seasons, fewer than half of persons aged ≥6 months are estimated to have been vaccinated.* If influenza vaccination levels had reached the Healthy People 2020 target of 70%, an estimated additional 5.9 million illnesses, 2.3 million medically attended illnesses, and 42,000 hospitalizations associated with influenza might have been averted. For the nation to more fully benefit from influenza vaccines, more effort is needed to reach the Healthy People 2020 target.

See the only problem there is you gotta believe the CDC... and I trust them just a tiny, tiny amount more than I do the FDA.

Wasn't expecting a flu shot debate when I opened up the "Teague is doubtful" thread lol.

Nobody can de-rail a thread like I can! 

Wasn't expecting a flu shot debate when I opened up the "Teague is doubtful" thread lol.

I know right. I can only speak for myself, I haven't had a vaccine shot since a small young jit and I haven't had as much as a common cold in years.

Two tips I could give are overdress for the cold (thermals are the greatest invention ever) and avoid people with colds like the plague, especially kids who aren't yours (I'd keep a safe distance from them too). Puff, puff, keep as well.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

As soon as the flu vaccine is available I get one fir my daughter, for some reason this year I waited and scheduled it later and of course she got the flu.

I had one early and knocking on some serious wood - didn't get it from her.

And trust me every common cold she gets I get it.

I know right. I can only speak for myself, I haven't had a vaccine shot since a small young jit and I haven't had as much as a common cold in years.

Two tips I could give are overdress for the cold (thermals are the greatest invention ever) and avoid people with colds like the plague, especially kids who aren't yours (I'd keep a safe distance from them too). Puff, puff, keep as well.

More effective then warm clothes*, and less limiting then going into exil wash your hands regulary.

I heard teague had the injury already last game, and played a lot.

* warm clothes sometimes hurt you, if you don't get then off in warm building and get out again.

Edited by CrazyEye

More effective then warm clothes*, and less limiting then going into exil wash your hands regulary.

I heard teague had the injury already last game, and played a lot.

* warm clothes sometimes hurt you, if you don't get then off in warm building and get out again.

Wash your hands regularly? Then how's your body gonna build up mmunities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7qEgs1BHa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

Wash your hands regularly? Then how's your body gonna build up mmunities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7qEgs1BHa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X29lF43mUlo

The master! Carlin woulda hated me, I shower like 3 times a day lol

• Moderators

#offtopic So long as none of our guards catch what this guy has, I'm good!

~lw3

• Like 2