Rebounding?!

asdogg

We are 26 th in the league in rebounding . How good would our team be and how good would our defensive rating be if we could rebound the ball better. The clippers who are worse then us at rebounding killed us on the offensive glass . However it is hard to find a big man who can hit the outside shot on offensive and rebound the shit out of the ball on defensive ..,hmmm how about Payne ?

It's an overrated argument. You're looking at league rankings while overlooking that head to head, the Hawks only get outrebounded by an average less than 3 which is coupled with forcing opposing teams to a low FG% (more misses, more rebound opportunities).  Overall, the Hawks are in the top third in the league in blocks, steals, forcing other turnovers, the aforementioned opponent FG%, they don't foul and they don't giveaway the ball much despite assisting the most.

Continuously crying about the rebounding is like having an ice cream sundae but complaining that there aren't crushed walnuts sprinkled on top.  Does it enhance the experience?  Yes.  Is the experience worthless without it?  Absolutely not.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It's an overrated argument. You're looking at league rankings while overlooking that head to head, the Hawks only get outrebounded by an average less than 3 which is coupled with forcing opposing teams to a low FG% (more misses, more rebound opportunities).  Overall, the Hawks are in the top third in the league in blocks, steals, forcing other turnovers, the aforementioned opponent FG%, they don't foul and they don't giveaway the ball much despite assisting the most.

Continuously crying about the rebounding is like having an ice cream sundae but complaining that there aren't crushed walnuts sprinkled on top.  Does it enhance the experience?  Yes.  Is the experience worthless without it?  Absolutely not.

B.S. Mace...  Rebounding to the game of basketball is not the crushed walnuts sprinkled on top of an icecream sundae.  The better a team rebounds, the more possessions they get.  This is fundamental Mase.  When we are rebounded by 3 or by 1, we're putting more pressure on our defense to get a stop and our offense to get a make.  The point is that it would be a lot easier for us if we did rebound better.  There has been no championship team that was worst than the league average in rebounds.  We have to be good at either offensive or defensive rebounding if we expect to win games of importance.

Edited by Diesel

Rebounding will always be important! It's not so much our ranking it's more of how we rebound.

It's very possible for our Hawks to stay ranked low in rebounds due to shooting great fg% as a team and hardly ever going after an offensive board but being solid at grabbing KEY rebounds!

offensive rebounds are important but not so much in buds system. Coach Bud prefers the Hawks to get back on defense and that is why the Hawks are ranked number 1 in lowest fastbreak points given up in the league (last I read anyways).

The KEY rebounds for the Hawks is grabbing defensive rebounds and limiting second chance points as much as possible. To do this EVERY HAWK must attack the boards at will as a TEAM.

I would say so far opponent offensive boards has not hurt our Hawks and they are doing well keeping their opponents from getting a ton of offensive rebounds as well as forcing opponents to shot a low fg%....you just gotta love this team!

B.S. Mace... Rebounding to the game of basketball is not the crushed walnuts sprinkled on top of an icecream sundae. The better a team rebounds, the more possessions they get. This is fundamental Mase. When we are rebounded by 3 or by 1, we're putting more pressure on our defense to get a stop and our offense to get a make. The point is that it would be a lot easier for us if we did rebound better. There has been no championship team that was worst than the league average in rebounds. We have to be good at either offensive or defensive rebounding if we expect to win games of importance.

Mace isn't completely wrong here...only thing I disagree with is down playing rebounds cause it is important just like making free throws which is another stat line general NBA fans ignore

Anyways Mace hit it on the money in other areas...the way the Hawks play they only need to worry about keeping their opponents off the offensive glass more so than worrying about their opponents getting a ton of defensive rebounds.

Most games the Hawks shoot at a very good fg% giving them the ability to not worry so much about offensive rebounds. Then on the defense side they are forcing their opponents into low fg% as a team and that's why our Hawks are ranked 7th in the NBA defensively....all the Hawks need to do is keep their opponents from getting second chance points which happens to mean keep them from getting offensive rebounds.

This team is really special...stats won't prove every special thing about this team,

B.S. Mace...  Rebounding to the game of basketball is not the crushed walnuts sprinkled on top of an icecream sundae.  The better a team rebounds, the more possessions they get.  This is fundamental Mase.  When we are rebounded by 3 or by 1, we're putting more pressure on our defense to get a stop and our offense to get a make.  The point is that it would be a lot easier for us if we did rebound better.  There has been no championship team that was worst than the league average in rebounds.  We have to be good at either offensive or defensive rebounding if we expect to win games of importance.

I think the Miami teams were poor at rebounding.

If our opponent, regardless of who he is, grabs a ton of offensive rebounds

we must assume that, for what ever reason, they are missing a ton of shots.

There is more to it than just the rebounds.  What did our opponent do with

the ball then?  Did they score or did they miss again?

Also, if the Hawks are hitting their shots, there is no rebound to get.

Free throws, on the other hand, are easy to figure.  Either you did or you didn't.

Hawks are winning.  Don't worry.  Be happy!

locomotive.gif

I think the Miami teams were poor at rebounding.

You are correct they were! In fact they played similar to how the Hawks are playing as far as what they want to acheive on the court not style (of course not style...Spurs East!)

Spoelstra had Miami getting back on defense he never worried about offensive boards cause he knew with 3 stars more than likely someone was going to score each time on the offense end especially with Lebron season fg% at 56! So instead of wasting energy on a offensive board get back and play defense and force your opponent to shoot low percentages and dont allow offensive rebounds....very similar to how the Hawks play except we don't have 3 superstars but what we do have is a ton of depth something the heat didn't have and that's how we are able to pull this whole thing off.

If our opponent, regardless of who he is, grabs a ton of offensive rebounds

we must assume that, for what ever reason, they are missing a ton of shots.

There is more to it than just the rebounds. What did our opponent do with

the ball then? Did they score or did they miss again?

Also, if the Hawks are hitting their shots, there is no rebound to get.

Free throws, on the other hand, are easy to figure. Either you did or you didn't.

Hawks are winning. Don't worry. Be happy!

locomotive.gif

Agreed it matters with what they do with the ball once they get the offensive board and as of today it seems like they aren't doing much of anything if they are getting offensive boards on our Hawks but keep in mind the right opponent will make you pay if you allow them multiple second chances!

Regardless Hawks just need to be sure to continue to grab key defensive rebounds and they are fine.

I wouldn't be against acquiring a bench player who can get us some rebounds when needed. Problem is would have to give up an asset to do so. I can't think of an asset that I want to part with right now due to our success other than a 2nd Round pick (Maybe Mack but with Teague injury he has revealed better value). Pero

And Muscala won't return much either. I just don't see it happening other than player development or a revival by Brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hairydawgz

So you say rebounding in one sentence and then possessions in the other.  Query, are rebounds the only route to possessions?  The answer is no.  We aren't talking about "the game of basketball" we are talking about the Hawks.  They control the possession game in addition to maximizing said possessions while simultaneously minimizing what opponents do with their own.  

The Hawks gave up 9 offensive rebound in the 4th quarter alone vs The Clippers, and it almost cost us the game..
Rebounding is clearly our biggest weakness, and it's my biggest concern if we end up playing vs Noah and Gasol in the playoffs.

I didn't read anything you said except for the sundae which is total horse shit. I hate sundaes so no matter what you put on it the experience will suck. QED.

Unless you can produce a valid doctor's note declaring that you are extremely lactose intolerant and therefore cannot enjoy the deliciousness of a sundae lest you suffer days of rectal bleeding, I simply will not accept that any human being willfully "hates" sundaes. I expect your formal apology for what I hope was a joke made in poor taste to me, this board and diners across this great nation by the close of business hours today.
  • Like 2

I can't do it. I simply can't. Sundaes are a fancy form of ice cream and I'm not a 7-year old kid getting excited about the ice cream man on a hot summers day. I have responsibilities. My tastes have change. I enjoy granola. I wear suits. I drink coffee.

So grow up. No more sundaes.

I'm sending you a maybe unexpired box of Dunkaroos. Something needs to save you because I feel that you're one flaxseed away from yelling at neighborhood kids to get off your lawn.
  • Like 1

What happened to Golden State last night happens to us a lot: you can defend as hard as you can, causing an awful, long miss that's followed by a long rebound without a reasonable oppurtunity to get it. Small guards who are out by the three point line (Reddick) and PGs with a nose for the ball (Rondo) end up with them. The Clippers must've hit 3 or 4 threes off that type of action.

I know Bud doesn't turn a blind eye to rebounding and size, yet he knows how to offset our shortcomings by all the ways Mace alluded to plus some. We won giving up 36 and 30 to Griffin and Jordan, without our backup center, I think we'll be okay. Please believe Tavares and Payne are being groomed to help cure these ills. This team is fluctuating between 6-9 league wide in points allowed AND scored. You think Detroit and Indiana wouldn't trade their great rebounding for that?

Side note, I never cared for Stein but he has Bud as his Coach of the Trimester, so he gets points.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Laugh if you will, but I think we have a couple of end-of-the-roster guys who have barely seen the floor this season, but based on what we've seen in college, summer league and d-league time, seem to be capable of developing into some very efficient rebounders... perhaps even by the end of the season.

Edited by sturt

I'm sending you a maybe unexpired box of Dunkaroos. Something needs to save you because I feel that you're one flaxseed away from yelling at neighborhood kids to get off your lawn.

Don't do it! I ordered a box of Dunkaroos from Amazon, ate one of them, and found out I had cancer the next day. Obviously it wasn't the Dunkaroos, but holy shit that is some terrible joojoo.