• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

Muscala's 3 goggles are killing me

I loved that. That was some Joe Johnson over Leon Powe stuff with the long setup and the player/crowd reactions.

I see some people are hating on the crowd, but when was the last time we had a Wednesday night crowd that good? And we weren't even playing the Lakers/Bulls/LeBrons/etc. They could have been louder before the great ending, but compared to our usual crowds they were the Cameron Crazies. Baby steps... 

The downside to improving attendance is it's not so easy to get cheap tickets anymore. I was checking for the Thunder and Warriors last weekend and the only multiple seats left were at stupid resale prices. A few years ago I was able to buy $11 playoff tickets against the Celtics from Hawks.com the day of the game. Oh well. I'll gladly accept that change if it means the Hawks are winning.

• Like 4

Hawkward moments with Bob and Nique:

In discussing the cold temperatures...

Nique: I was outside around the pool, trying to see what they were doing. I stayed all of two seconds and went back in the house.

Bob: So you're telling me that I don't need to pack my thong to go to Detroit tomorrow?

• Like 3

I loved that. That was some Joe Johnson over Leon Powe stuff with the long setup and the player/crowd reactions.

I see some people are hating on the crowd, but when was the last time we had a Wednesday night crowd that good? And we weren't even playing the Lakers/Bulls/LeBrons/etc. They could have been louder before the great ending, but compared to our usual crowds they were the Cameron Crazies. Baby steps... 

The downside to improving attendance is it's not so easy to get cheap tickets anymore. I was checking for the Thunder and Warriors last weekend and the only multiple seats left were at stupid resale prices. A few years ago I was able to buy $11 playoff tickets against the Celtics from Hawks.com the day of the game. Oh well. I'll gladly accept that change if it means the Hawks are winning.

So funny lol!!! it almost look liked they are dancing, forming some kind of group dance pose lolol :D

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker

Maybe there was a feeling of it but it was freaking quiet on TV until late in the 4th. Either the fans really don't believe or they're just very shy and reserved in Atlanta.

Like me, shy and reserved...it's just a classy look is all..

Illmatic game thread lw!!! You get us ready for the fight every night man. Awesome game by us. We are learning to win in different situations which is really important. High scoring, low scoring, pretty games, ugly games, it doesn't matter..as long as we play as a unit, we will go far in this league and make believers out of everybody.

Ps The circus is no longer the greatest show on earth

Exactly. The crowd was nowhere to be found until the last 3 minutes of the game. To the person who said this was a wednesday, what's your excuse for the crowd being super weak on opening night on a saturday when t.i. performed before the game and at halftime and they gave out free shirts as well as $10 in concessions. They did everything they could to make it a party that night and the crowd was dead.

Like @hawksfanatic i was at that game as well and also thought the crowd was pretty damn good. Not sure where you were but me and my section 116 people were representing quite well, thank you very much. Place was a-rockin.

• Like 2

Maybe there was a feeling of it but it was freaking quiet on TV until late in the 4th.  Either the fans really don't believe or they're just very shy and reserved in Atlanta. 

Or you could take it from the people who were actually there:

Loud Philips Arena crowd helps motivate team

The Hawks fell just short of another sell out Wednesday night but the Philips Arena crowd was another loud and enthusiastic group.

"Tonight, to play in front of our home crowd, there were times when we fed off their energy," Budenholzer said. "I think the guys really felt it. That leads to more activity and more turnovers. I thought the crowd really helped us tonight."

Al Horford echoed that sentiment. "It's good to be home. The crowd was great tonight. When Kyle hit that three, it was like a playoff atmosphere, how loud it got in here. It was just good to be back here."

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/1/8/7513067/grizzlies-vs-hawks-recap-jeff-teague

• Like 3

Like @hawksfanatic i was at that game as well and also thought the crowd was pretty damn good. Not sure where you were but me and my section 116 people were representing quite well, thank you very much. Place was a-rockin.

I wasn't at the game last night and caught it on dvr as I was playing some rec league ball. Im not trying to disrespect Hawks fans in any way with my comments. I will always back Hawks fans and have always defended them when people say we have a bad fan base. All I am saying is I have been to many Hawks games where I thought the crowd was really loud. This was all ruined when I went to the Charlotte game and saw a truly loud crowd. I have never experienced an Atlanta crowd as loud as Charlotte was in the one game that I went to.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Great game.  Ugly game but a great win for the Hawks.  Though I wish I could erase the thought of Bob in a thong from my memory bank.

• Like 3

Great win against the west.  But now, we gotta face those hot eastern Pistons.

They discovered that J Smoove wasn't the answer.  We already knew.

Computer was down last night so I'm behind today.

Swarming defense and timely shooting at the end of the game.  A winning combination!

GO ATL !!

neo.gif

• Like 1

I have to admit that the crowd was pretty much dead until the late run but during that run the energy was amazing. It is still improving though compared to the beginning of the season. I was at the Orlando game earlier in the season and boy was that lonely. 

By the way our tickets are dirt cheap. I paid $17 per ticket for section 312, which includes $10 concession credit :-)

• Like 1

Hawkward moments with Bob and Nique:

In discussing the cold temperatures...

Nique: I was outside around the pool, trying to see what they were doing. I stayed all of two seconds and went back in the house.

Bob: So you're telling me that I don't need to pack my thong to go to Detroit tomorrow?

Bob has said some interesting stuff before, but I think the Hawks success this season has pushed him over the edge a little bit.  Pretty funny, yet disturbing at the same time......

On Gasol's rainbow shot:  "That thing came back with snow on it!"  The guy always has something up his sleeve.  I need to listen to Holman which I haven't yet this season, the guy is probably having an aneurysm with the Hawks success so far.

• Like 2

Korver's getting the love he deserves for another dagger 3, but his defense a couple of possessions prior was awesome. He was chasing his man around, then he doubled Gasol, then he collapsed back on his man at the 3pt line, then he doubled Gasol again, and then he pretended like he was going to have mercy before coming right back to force a tough shot with Horford.

He's also the god of jump balls. He's always forcing them and even when he loses the tip we get the ball. It's incredible. 

• Like 2

Bob has said some interesting stuff before, but I think the Hawks success this season has pushed him over the edge a little bit.  Pretty funny, yet disturbing at the same time......

On Gasol's rainbow shot:  "That thing came back with snow on it!"  The guy always has something up his sleeve.  I need to listen to Holman which I haven't yet this season, the guy is probably having an aneurysm with the Hawks success so far.

I've grown to love Bob this season.  He carries the broadcast.  I love it when he gets hyped up after a big play.

• Like 1

Korver's getting the love he deserves for another dagger 3, but his defense a couple of possessions prior was awesome. He was chasing his man around, then he doubled Gasol, then he collapsed back on his man at the 3pt line, then he doubled Gasol again, and then he pretended like he was going to have mercy before coming right back to force a tough shot with Horford.

He's also the god of jump balls. He's always forcing them and even when he loses the tip we get the ball. It's incredible.

Kyle is one of the smartest players of All Time. He's actually set the tone for our team D. There are two types of NBA fans: those who think Kyle is a sh$tty defender, and those who know he's outstanding on that end. It kills me to see players and benches get mad at his open looks. Buds been coaching half his life to get to the point he could have a guy like Killa Kyle, you think you can stop what's etched in stone?! Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Bob is more giddy over this team than he has ever been before. The way he acted during that 4th period of the Clippers game... He has never been that over the top before.

• Like 2

You don't even live in Atlanta, how can you be a mod?!?! Ban this man! {/sarcasm}

But the perspective you have is undoubtedly on "the miserables" side of things. If you're comparing Atlanta to Portland, well that is a non-contest. Have you ever been to Portland? There is not much to do. Go take a weekend trip to Atlanta, you'll have WAY more fun and going to a Hawks will only be a small part of that. The point is that The Hawks are competing against so many other alternatives while Portland doesn't need to do much to get people to go to their games. But they do end up doing a lot and that leads to one of the best environments. Can you name any other arena better than them?

As far as Dallas, man. They have an owner who has been focused on fan development since he has been there AND he has put a winning product on the product ever since ~2000. They have built up a brand. Dallas and Atlanta (and Houston) are all comparable cities. Lots of transplants, similar traffic issues and similar demographics/wealth/prices. But ya-know what might be a problem? Ownership/management. Cuban and Alexander are singular entities that have had 0 ownership issues. Hows about our A$G?

You want to blame the crowd/fans. Hows about you take a step back for a second. Customers aren't typically irrational. The problem probably doesn't lie within them. You wouldn't blame "Apple Customers" if Apple had a poor quarter in sales. But apparently that is the case here. Fans are likely not going to go into the traffic hell of Atlanta for a Wednesday-freaking-night game that ends around 10pm to then drive back to Alpharetta around 11pm. So hold your horses on blaming fans.

Those were just my recent examples to use. I could find more from markets similar to Atlanta but there will always be excuses for why Philips sounds like it's asleep on game night. Our players have mentioned it, other players have mentioned it, they say it's embarrassing. And I do have experience in Atlanta ya know, I was stationed at Ft Benning and at Ft Bragg for years and spent lots of time in Atlanta, which is no different than Houston in terms of market and things to do and the Rockets game get very loud by comparison. And don't give me the traffic excuse. I know that Atlanta has bad traffic but it's only barely worse than Houston traffic on average commute time. 

I'm not hating on the hardcore fans here, just the casual ones who act like they're at a Tennis match instead of an NBA game. 

• Like 1

I was there. All the way from eastern North Carolina. It was rocking for the most part except for the corporate section. I don't know why you said it was dead because that's bullshit. It's no Portland but not much is.

It's not bullshit. Despite what you guys who are at the game think, it's quiet as hell on TV. How can you explain that? 

I've gone to so many games over the years. All the people talking trash about the fans tonight clearly weren't at the game. I was at the game tonight and I can't remember a regular season game with that kind of fan intensity during the regular season since that famous Boston series. Trash the fans all you want about not showing up until the fourth quarter but you gotta start somewhere. We're building something here. All y'all hating on the fans tonight need a realty check.

I'd love a reality check. Please tell me why all of us who watched it on TV noticed it was quiet as hell until the final 3-4 minutes when we had the big run. I'd LOVE to hear an explanation. 

• Moderators

My hunch is this is another Koonin Special, to get Rathbun to Deadspin it up just a bit. One way or another, the expanded schtick is certainly not hurting the SportSouth ratings!

EDIT: Speaking of SportSouth...

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1