• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it me or has Al gotten more aggressive?

capstone21

Naw man, Al's done and we should trade him now before his value declines. Especially since guys never recover from injuries. End tongue in cheek post.

Send him to the Bulls to be reunited with Noah on a winning team. Kirk Hinrich and a 2015 2nd round draft pick should do it. :^)

• Like 3

I think he's gotten more aggressive in the paint more than anything and he's really dismantling the idea that we need some true center next to him cause him along with his teammates activity on defense is at an all time high.

Milsap racks up a lot of steals to be a pf by the way. This whole team is aggressive

I was thinking the same thing. A little more "oomph!" and "how ya like dem apples???" to his game around the rim. Looks like he finally believes he's THAT center, and is no longer circling in a holding pattern waiting for a so-called "true" center to come in and switch to the 4.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Honestly, I don't think it's his health so much.  Watching Al over the years this is the most I've ever seen him attack the basket and FINISH.  Part of it, I'm sure, is Bud's system and all that movement (which Al has always excelled at).  

Another thing, and something people don't realize, is that we are really just now seeing what Horford can do WITHOUT Josh Smith.  Last year, the big question was whether or not Horford could take his game to another level.  He only played for a month, and for a new coach in a new system, so we really didn't get to see that.  

Also, I don't doubt for one second that Bud has coached him up.  We've been saying for years that we want Al to be more physical and score more inside.  Well, he's doing it and we need it.

Lastly, I think Al is on a mission.  He was supposed to be our "leader" last year and next year he'll be up for a new contract.  Obviously we don't promote "agendas" and Horf is hardly a selfish kind of guy, but I do think he's out to prove something.  Just professionally and within the limits of what we're trying to do as a team...

• Like 3

He has scored 20+ points in his last three games and he has really been attacking the basket

Could he finally be feeling close to 100%?

They're feeding him the ball more and his shots are going in. Teague and Horford got their chemistry back from last season and him and Millsap play well off each other. 

• Moderators

Honestly, I don't think it's his health so much.  Watching Al over the years this is the most I've ever seen him attack the basket and FINISH.  Part of it, I'm sure, is Bud's system and all that movement (which Al has always excelled at).  

Another thing, and something people don't realize, is that we are really just now seeing what Horford can do WITHOUT Josh Smith.  Last year, the big question was whether or not Horford could take his game to another level.  He only played for a month, and for a new coach in a new system, so we really didn't get to see that.  

Also, I don't doubt for one second that Bud has coached him up.  We've been saying for years that we want Al to be more physical and score more inside.  Well, he's doing it and we need it.

Lastly, I think Al is on a mission.  He was supposed to be our "leader" last year and next year he'll be up for a new contract.  Obviously we don't promote "agendas" and Horf is hardly a selfish kind of guy, but I do think he's out to prove something.  Just professionally and within the limits of what we're trying to do as a team...

This is the thing we still aren't used to.   Korver, Sap, Mack, Demarre, Teague.   These are all guys who are remarkably better than they had been B.B. (before bud).   Obviously the dude can develop young folks like Dennis and Scott but he's taking vets and making them better.   Horford is probably the most coachable all star in this league so it shouldn't be a surprise that he's getting better.   This is basically his first season playing under Bud.   

• Like 1

Part of it is he's been Al-o-matic from mid-range so defenders are now closing out harder on him which allows him to pump fake and drive to the basket.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Part of it is he's been Al-o-matic from mid-range so defenders are now closing out harder on him which allows him to pump fake and drive to the basket.

And is there a big in the league who runs the floor better?   Here is one gif that shows why he's so damn good even outside of his unbelievable mid range shooting.

horford_run_out.0.gif

• Like 2

• Premium Member

And is there a big in the league who runs the floor better?   Here is one gif that shows why he's so damn good even outside of his unbelievable mid range shooting.

horford_run_out.0.gif

+1000000 this!  Been saying the same thing for years.  I think this is one of the most under appreciated things that Al does.  Al runs the floor like few big men that I have ever seen.  Honestly, he just moves so quickly and so well without the ball in general.  It's a natural fit for this offense.   

• Like 1