• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

15 Win Streak Celebration Thread

Final_quest

THAT was a TEAM effort once again! Thunder just kept trying to pad their stats instead of looking for open shots.

lol we had that shot clock violation in the 4th cause we couldn't get that open shot. I'll take it.

Edited by ChipShot

I wish all of Hawkquawk could've been in the arena tonight! I'm still a youngster when it comes to how long I've been watching the Hawks compared to some of you, I barely remember seeing Mookie and Mutombo. I really only remember the last 16 or so years. But it still feels great to see this team be so great together; I can only try to imagine how this feels for our longer fans. We're all apart of the same group! Let's go Hawks!

• Like 2

This is a special team, y'all. Ferry turned this team around in 2 years. No "superstars" but it's a brilliant roster of guys who work hard and know their roles - top to bottom. So damn proud of these guys. At some point we should make a thread to revisit all the old Ferry hate posts/threads but not now. Now let's just all enjoy.

• Like 1

Coach Bud since he doesn't allow this team to get too high on wins and keeps them focused on the task at hand. 15 straight wins is nice, but I'm sure that wasn't a goal of Bud's before the season.

Bud's goals seem pretty simple: play defense as if your life depended on it for every second you're on the floor and beat every team in the league doing it, pairing an amoeba-like offense with a stubborn, never-changing ball-stopping defense. I wouldn't worry about Phoenix, but GS and San An are the only tests left.

If you watch him on the sidelines, he doesn't care at all about perfect offensive execution anymore. We can have a possession where everyone touches the ball and we get a dunk with 1 second left, the whole staff sits still and silent (just realized how young everyone on the staff is). But let BazedGod, Trillsap, or Bawse get a block and they act like they're in church.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Unlike certain souped-up baseball players, I am here to talk about the past!

SI Article on the former recordholders from November-December 1993:

http://www.si.com/vault/1993/12/13/211346/a-new-breed-of-hawk

I tried finding an online news snippet from when they won their 14th back then (12/14/1993 against Mike Fratello and Cleveland, Lenny's former team) but all I got was some Nique family drama stuff. Poor guy had a lot going on at the time!

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-14632860.html

EDIT: My bad, I was doing the dates wrong... found one! The streak was overshadowed by Houston's bigger winning streak at the time, by the Hawks getting off the schneid against the Cavs, and by Lenny's triumphant return to Cleveland.

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-32844800/hawks-give-wilkens-a-triumphant-return

The Atlanta Hawks made it 14 victories in a row Tuesday night, taking the lead on Stacey Augmon's alley-oop dunk with two minutes to play and beating the slumping Cleveland Cavaliers, 103-92, at Richfield, Ohio.

The Hawks ended a 10-game losing streak against the Cavaliers and gave Coach Lenny Wilkens a victory in his return to the arena that was his home the previous seven seasons. Atlanta's 14-game winning streak is already a franchise record and is the second-longest in the NBA this season behind Houston's season-opening 15-game streak.

"It's the first win for the Hawks here in I don't know how long, so they have a lot to feel good about," Wilkens said. "Hey, don't think it didn't seem strange sitting down at that end of the arena. But those are the adjustments you make."

Augmon scored 23 points, and teammates Dominique Wilkins, Kevin Willis and Mookie Blaylock had 22 each...

Atlanta closed it out at the foul line, making 11 of 12 free throws in the final two minutes.

~lw3

Interesting little tidbit from that "popular" sports network.

The last time there were two teams to go on 15 game winning streaks, they met in the Finals. This year that's us and the Warriors.

I could see it if we continue our style of play, rabid defense, and spectacular passing.