• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looking ahead to the playoffs

gsuteke

The Hawks need to make some roster moves. Horford is the only player listed at C per espn's website.

Antić and Brand are the primary backups here. Brand is old and Antić likes to camp out on the perimeter.

A team like Detroit will be a tough out in the playoffs with our present roster.

I disagree I watched the game Monday we can't keep a team like that off the boards.

Detroit is just one example. The bottom line is we need another serviceable big that can play in Bud's system.

We won by 11.  We will see if Bud agrees and makes a move or disagrees and sticks with what we have.

Pray tell who would that be?

Phoenix has put their former starter Miles Plumlee on the trade block since his minutes have been replaced by Len recently.  I wonder if there's any way we could bring him in 6'11 260+, plenty young and athletic.  Not particularly skilled, but good rebounding numbers and a block in less than twenty minutes a game.  Pulled down 6 & 10 boards in two games against Detroit already this season in an average of 20 minutes of playing time.  He'd be a great backup in my opinion.  

Gsuteke is correct.  This has gone on long enough.  We had a streamer above

telling us that Hawks can't compete with Cleveland or Chicago in the playoffs.

We have no super star and no rebounding whatsoever.  Both these teams have

at least three super stars each which are far superior to any Hawk player.

Time to tear this team down and start over.  Apparently everyone knows.  The

remainder of the fans here are just dumb enough to believe.

• Premium Member

I agree with gsuteke's premise, though not necessarily the rationale for it (though I must add that I think we're fortunate that Drummond is such a terrible FT shot, or the MLK Day game would have been much closer).

My rationale would be that if Jenkins isn't in the long-term plans... and for now, all indications point that way... you really need to turn his roster slot into some playoff insurance. Further, if you don't think you're going to develop Moose or Payne to any substantial degree before the playoffs, that slot is best conveyed to an athletic big... depending on what's actually available out there and when it becomes available.

My current favorite solution is this: http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/402912-still-contemplating-the-yard-sale-in-denver-and-targeting-some-bench-help

The Hawks need to make some roster moves. Horford is the only player listed at C per espn's website.

Antić and Brand are the primary backups here. Brand is old and Antić likes to camp out on the perimeter.

A team like Detroit will be a tough out in the playoffs with our present roster.

Pero has do a little better at not just camping out at the 3pt line all of the time. He has gotten a few more baskets around the basket that he wouldn't have got last year.

I think the hardest part of Bud's system is having a stretch 5 big that can shoot the 3. Finding one that is a great rebounder and defender is even more difficult. All the 5's in our rotation can shoot 3s (Horf, Antić). So our best bet would be to develop Payne or find a rare stretch 5 available that can do those things (Who is available?).

Spacing is very important for our system and every player on our team being able to shoot 3's is essential to this ideology. 

• Like 1

We are looking at 65 plus wins right now. I wouldn't screw with this chemistry. You saw what happened when Lenny did it in 1994 trading Nique for a 16 PPG averaging Danny Manning. Don't do it again. I'll take my chances with what we've got. I agree that we can possibly get dominated on the offensive boards but if we play good D and shoot well from the perimeter we'll win most games. 

I think the hardest part of Bud's system is having a stretch 5 big that can shoot the 3. Finding one that is a great rebounder and defender is even more difficult. All the 5's in our rotation can shoot 3s (Horf, Antić). So our best bet would be to develop Payne or find a rare stretch 5 available that can do those things (Who is available?).

Spacing is very important for our system and every player on our team being able to shoot 3's is essential to this ideology. 

This is what people don't seem to understand.  Having a backup C that is a threat to shoot the 3 is a far greater benefit to this team than some supposed rebounder who is useless on offense.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I think most of us agree that you don't want to mess with the starters or rotation guys...

But what I, and I think others, are discussing is the possibility of flipping a couple of parts that haven't been used all that much plus perhaps one of our surplus future 2nd round picks in exchange for a couple of veteran reinforcements that might be getting shopped (ie, particularly in anticipation of the likelihood of injuries).

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/402912-still-contemplating-the-yard-sale-in-denver-and-targeting-some-bench-help

Edited by sturt