• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WIN NUMBER 38!

capstone21

Thirty games over .500 and seven games better than the Whiz...and made it look easy. It looked at times as though they are toying with their opponents before delivering their finishing maneuver to put them away...

And don't look now but the Wiz are getting hammered by Phoenix...down 22 in the 2nd. Cross your fingers!

I don't feel this deserves it's own thread, so I'm just stashing it in here. After last nights game when they were talking about our streak on ESPN they brought up some kind of statistic from some "index" they use that predicted we only have a 3% chance to win all of our next 6 games.

So keep that in mind after we win all 6 crazy.gif

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

The fact that a playoff team can match the prior season's win total in January when their biggest offseason move was for a backup wing named Thabo is outright amazing.

Lol I know! I know! .....crazy isn't it?!

Damn I'm glad im a hawks fan...had another team been doing this there would be a "I want to bitch" thread from every member on the squawk!

"Jealously will get you no where"....glad that's not the case

Edited by JTB

The fact that a playoff team can match the prior season's win total in January when their biggest offseason move was for a backup wing named Thabo is outright amazing.

I'm pretty sure all the defensive advanced and on/off stats with Thabo are legendary. Bud and Dan saw the signifigant impact he could possibly add, but even they gotta be like "damn".

Al, Dennis, and Baze also deserve huge credit, but our ascendancy from a historically mediocre defense to running away with the points allowed lead is mostly attributable to Thabo extending and spelling DeMarre. Basically we spent $4 million to become the league's best perimeter defense. We love you Ferry.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure all the defensive advanced and on/off stats with Thabo are legendary. Bud and Dan saw the signifigant impact he could possibly add, but even they gotta be like "damn".

Thabo has been a very good role player.

He is +2.1 ON/OFF court this year (Teague, Sap and Korver are all +13 or more).  The defensive side of that rating is the best on the team (+2.9 compared to Sap's +2.7) but his offensive impact is negative which takes a bit of that away for the net rating.

He ranks 6th on the team in Defensive Win Shares and is 2nd on the team in defensive rating.

He has been everything we wanted from a defensive upgrade on the wing.  Guys like Thabo and Tony Allen, etc. usually don't account for much of the radical changes in the standings like we have seen this year was my point.  I have no problems with what we have gotten from him at all - he has been a positive piece of the puzzle.  It is just that usually a massive turn around comes from a scenario like SA drafting Tim Duncan or Lebron changing from Miami to Cleveland, etc. and we don't have that type of trigger here which makes our improvement even that more impressive to me.

• Like 2

Thabo has been a very good role player.

He is +2.1 ON/OFF court this year (Teague, Sap and Korver are all +13 or more). The defensive side of that rating is the best on the team (+2.9 compared to Sap's +2.7) but his offensive impact is negative which takes a bit of that away for the net rating.

He ranks 6th on the team in Defensive Win Shares and is 2nd on the team in defensive rating.

He has been everything we wanted from a defensive upgrade on the wing. Guys like Thabo and Tony Allen, etc. usually don't account for much of the radical changes in the standings like we have seen this year was my point. I have no problems with what we have gotten from him at all - he has been a positive piece of the puzzle. It is just that usually a massive turn around comes from a scenario like SA drafting Tim Duncan or Lebron changing from Miami to Cleveland, etc. and we don't have that type of trigger here which makes our improvement even that more impressive to me.

I'm pretty sure he still leads the entire NBA in FG% against in 150+ attempts. That's huge when you factor in he takes any size guard and smaller forwards.

• Moderators

Is this a record? That a team was able to equal its previous season total wins in Jan of the next season? I mean c'mon that is just crazy.

You need to qualify that with playoff teams to get interesting.  The Sixers matched their win total the previous season on December 1, 1973 (passed it on December 14).  Low bars are easier to clear!

• Premium Member

You need to qualify that with playoff teams to get interesting.  The Sixers matched their win total the previous season on December 1, 1973 (passed it on December 14).  Low bars are easier to clear!

But that Sixer team which IIRC is the worst all time record didn't make the playoffs the year before. I just can't think of any other playoff team that matched its previous win total the season before by Jan of the following season...

Edited by Sothron

• Moderators

But that Sixer team which IIRC is the worst all time record didn't make the playoffs the year before. I just can't think of any other playoff team that matched its previous win total the season before by Jan of the following season...

I can't either.  Frankly, you have a pretty limited pool of playoff teams who were 6 games under .500 so Atlanta's sad "playoff" record from last year is a pretty big outlier created by the weak East which helps make this possible along with our stellar play this season.  

The worst playoff team in the West last year won 49 games.  Dallas couldn't equal that in January unless they went 49-0.  Heck, even the Hawks aren't on pace to equal that number until the beginning of March (at our .826 pace we would reach 49 wins on February 28 or March 3)!

• Like 1