• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Interested In Ray Allen

PSSSHHHRRR87

If I'm Ray Allen, I look at the Hawks and see the type of system a shooter dreams of playing in, versus going to Cleveland and playing in LeBron's latest pick up squad, I dunno, I think this is the more appealing option. But this is assuming we're seriously interested in bringing him in anyway.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hawks better not give up anything for Ray Allen.  I don't know his contract but I don't want him unless it's for free.   Maybe a future second round pick.  Maybe.

He is free. We couldn't give up even a second round pick if we wanted.

He didn't really look that good last year and his defense has gotten awful. He's no better on the court than John Jenkins at this point, at least not much better. I don't know how much of a leader he is either as he never won anything prior to riding the coat tails of LeBraun (great nickname BTW whomever it was that coined that).

Except when he won with Celtics...

• Moderators

Interesting....I only watch Hawks games I guess.  Sign him for cheap if we can.  This year only.  Give him Bazemore's minutes.  Keep Jenkins.

We have to cut someone if we want him.  We don't have the roster spots to add him without cutting someone.  Jenkins is the obvious cut to me since we didn't exercise our option on him prior to this year and he isn't a regular part of the rotation and he does the same thing as Allen just not as well.

Just think, if we sign Ray Allen we can be even more of this! man_in_love.gif

• Like 1

It is plain to see that Jenkins is not in the long-term plans. If they have to cut him to bring in Allen, so be it.

I probably wouldn't go that far.  They're not shuttling him back and forth to the dleague for no reason.

Allen doesn't help us really.  He'd be icing especially since he plays no D.

Alex Kennedy: Source says Ray Allen may not play this year. All-Star break won't just be deciding on a team, it's about deciding if he'll suit up at all. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Free Agency, Ray Allen 

Alex Kennedy: Ray Allen has enjoyed his family time and golf time in Miami, and sources close to him make it clear he may decide not to resume NBA career. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.dxlK8Q3n.dpuf

• Moderators

Alex Kennedy: Source says Ray Allen may not play this year. All-Star break won't just be deciding on a team, it's about deciding if he'll suit up at all. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Free Agency, Ray Allen 

Alex Kennedy: Ray Allen has enjoyed his family time and golf time in Miami, and sources close to him make it clear he may decide not to resume NBA career. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.dxlK8Q3n.dpuf

Well if he hasn't been seriously working out then I may change my tune.   We don't have the minutes to give to get him in game shape for the playoffs.  

Well if he hasn't been seriously working out then I may change my tune. We don't have the minutes to give to get him in game shape for the playoffs.

If he's still unsure if he wants to play, then he's not ready to play. Pass.

If we're giving up on Jenkins and probably Payne, who never gets to see

the floor and we don't really need that 1st round swap for a lottery player

THEN

Would we be willing to give all this to the Timber wolves for Kevin Martin?

Minnesota isn't looking to win it all right now and we are.  This might not be

enough to entice them but, dang, if we're losing players and adding players,

I'd much prefer Kevin Martin.

Would you like to have him?  What would he cost us?

spiteful.gif

• Moderators

I'd love to have Kevin Martin but I think we'd have to give up some kind of pick to get him.   No matter whether Ray is ready to play or not it's still a championship move to make.   It definitely comes with some risk but it says in no uncertain terms that we're all in.

• Premium Member

Ya know... I was not one of those all that enthusiastic about pursuing Allen b/c of his age and, more specifically, the limitations on his defense as a function of his age.

But.

I was amazed when I looked at his defensive stats to find that the guy really has proven to be a better defender even in his mid and late 30s than most wings.

Can he do it one more time? At some point he runs out of gas, but I don't think I'd bet against him just yet.

My other concern is his reported demand for minutes, which philosophically runs counter to the attitude of the team. To the degree that that report is true, I'd make my judgment on whether I wanted him on the roster. Again, I'm glass half-full on that... he's never been, to my knowledge, a bad-chemistry guy. Innocent until proven guilty.

What's undeniable is that this is a team that could stand some playoff experience... scratch that... I should say championship experience.

So, in spite of some natural concerns, I suppose I'm in the pool of those who'd like to see it happen after all.