• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Interested In Ray Allen

PSSSHHHRRR87

What has our defense looked like since Thabo has been out?

We can score points, I'm more concerned with Defense.

Thabo had similar injury in OKC last season, wasn't very good in playoffs because of it. How will he look when he gets back?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

What has our defense looked like since Thabo has been out?

We can score points, I'm more concerned with Defense.

Thabo had similar injury in OKC last season, wasn't very good in playoffs because of it. How will he look when he gets back?

Just playing devils advocate here.  We did out gun GS but up against Memphis, who played good D, we couldn't score when it counted.   It's not like they were getting easy buckets.   We just couldn't control the ball or hit shots at the end.   

• Like 1

Just playing devils advocate here. We did out gun GS but up against Memphis, who played good D, we couldn't score when it counted. It's not like they were getting easy buckets. We just couldn't control the ball or hit shots at the end.

That is true, but if you listen to the players it's all about making sure the defense is first. We also miss Thabo's rebounding. IMO: Defense and reboundig are more pressing needs.

• Premium Member

It's not worth the risk.  I'm not mucking around with my team chemistry for an almost 40 year old player that has never been a good defender.  Plus he is not in basketball shape and by the time he's in shape Sefolosha will be back.  The Hawks have been playing well enough without Thabo.  Just let Shelvin, Baze and JJ absorb some of those minutes and wait it out for Thabo to return.      

Edited by NineOhTheRino

It's not worth the risk. I'm not mucking around with my team chemistry for an almost 40 year old player that has never been a good defender. Plus he is not in basketball shape and by the time he's in shape Sefolosha will be back. The Hawks have been playing well enough without Thabo. Just let Shelvin, Baze and JJ absorb some of those minutes and wait it out for Thabo to return.

Ray Allen is always is basketball shape. Just because he hasn't played this year doesn't mean that he's sitting on the sidelines eating donuts. The guy is a well conditioned machine, I'm not worried about that at all. Secondly, he's a great veteran lockeroom guy so he would only add to the positivity of our team's chemistry. Thirdly, a lot of posters are saying that Ray can step in for Kyle and give him a blow, but I think we can be a major threat to the opposition by running Kyle and Ray at the same time. How could a team game plan against us? You have Teague, Sap and Horford doing work in the paint and if they get doubled, now you not only have one outlet in Korver, but another in Ray. Also, a lot of people in the past would blast Kyle for his defense, but Kyle shows determination on D as well as hustle, to me, Allen is the same, he's not a great defender but he won't allow his man to embarrass him either. And lastly, I don't want Allen going to the Cavs, so it kills 2 birds with one stone.(no animals were hurt in this analogy)

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Moderators

I liked a bunch of posts I agreed with on here.  If we sign Allen, he comes in and settles into a very limited role on the team once Thabo is back.  He then can come off the bench for elite shooting.  The only guy who has scored more efficiently than Ray has over the last 3 years on this year's team (with at least 150 minutes) is Kyle Korver and the only guy who has shot the 3 as well is Kyle.  Every single team in the league can use an elite gunner with elite range situationally and Bud definitely is smart enough to figure that out. 

Ray will not play big minutes or cut into Thabo's time in most games.  He is basically is your basketball equivalent of a LOOGY in baseball.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Feb @ATLHAWKS defensive numbers with no Thabo: 106.8 allowed; .440 3s; -12 reb margin. Key loss for the 2nd unit.

This is what worries me more than anything.  And like I pointed out we don't know if we'll be getting back pre-injury Thabo. 

I don't disagree with this but there is nobody available in the pool of unsigned players who can replicate what Thabo does.  3&D guys are in big demand so the good ones are taken.  Elite shooters are also in real demand but there happens to be one available so that is how the math shakes out for me.

Chris Broussard: Ray Allen's agent Jim Tanner just told me Ray still undecided on whether to play this yr, nor has he narrowed his list of potential teams. Tanner also says no guarantee Ray Allen makes decision within 10 days of All-Star Weekend. Twitter @Chris_Broussard - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.TOj8G7n5.dpuf

tumblr_m4uu7i1ILU1qk9z3lo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

tumblr_m4uu7i1ILU1qk9z3lo1_500.jpg

That's why CB is still cashing those ESPN checks.  He's mastered the art of saying something but saying nothing,

One of the things that was very evident in the Memphis game, is that a defensive team that focuses on Kyle Korver, can limit his touches.

So what do you do if you have Kyle Korver AND Ray Allen to account for?

Utterly dismantle them on the other end. That said, I didn't mind taking a chance on Allen before and I certainly don't with Thabo out, but I don't think he's interested.

Just think of it. with the fear that Teague or Schroader will penetrate the middle and the ability of Horford and Millsap to shoot, defenses are gonna close tight. Add Ray Allen you got two of the all-time best efficient 3 point shooters on the wings...

Good Game

• Premium Member

Broussard says there is a 50-50 chance Allen could signs with Washington Wizards, Cleveland Cavaliers, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers or the Atlanta Hawks.