• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Private agendas still at play in Hawks’ offices

Admin

This!! The second and most disturbing reason why I don't want Ferry back in Atlanta. You go against a man whom singlehandedly made the Hawks a household name. Why block Dominique's statue? Was Ferry plotting to have his statue erected down the line after the Hawks won numerous championships? The guy is an egomaniac with a terrible history of drafting first rounders. He brought in tweener free agents that were greatly improved by our incredible staff. He's not a modern day Harry Potter. Ferry's the basketball version of Phil Helmuth.

Draco Malfoy, is that you?

If that's the case, why wouldn't they just trade the 2014 pick or a 1st rounder from a specific year?

So his plan was to lose?  and who is diminishing the players or Bud's contributions?  I certainly am not.  I am just recognizing the person who made it possible by obtaining Bud and these players while removing the players who held us back.  Not sure why that is so hard for some of you to do.

I'm pretty sure they couldn't.

You're diminishing them by intimating that this season is all about Ferry's vision.  No, it's about what the coaches/players have done and are doing.  Ferry didn't want to lose but he didn't imagine this squad could do what they've done.

It's not difficult to say, "Hey, Ferry did a good job putting this unit together".  The difficulty comes when folks are all like, "See, see this is what Ferry envisioned aaaaaall along.  Please, please Ferry grace us with you immaculate presence lest we succumb to our own inadequacies!"  Yes, that was way over the top but people are going out of their way to praise the guy when a hearty pat on the back is all that's in order.

You're diminishing them by intimating that this season is all about Ferry's vision.  No, it's about what the coaches/players have done and are doing.  Ferry didn't want to lose but he didn't imagine this squad could do what they've done.

It's not difficult to say, "Hey, Ferry did a good job putting this unit together".  The difficulty comes when folks are all like, "See, see this is what Ferry envisioned aaaaaall along.  Please, please Ferry grace us with you immaculate presence lest we succumb to our own inadequacies!"  Yes, that was way over the top but people are going out of their way to praise the guy when a hearty pat on the back is all that's in order.

Not to mention......what if he couldn't move Lou this summer and had gotten Deng.  Boy would this have been a different team.  

I love how you place yourself inside Ferry's psyche.  Are you some sort of clairvoyant? 

The rule is you can not trade your 1st round pick in 2 consecutive years.  They could have easily picked a specific year for the first. 

Streeeeetch Armstrong sounds about right.

Not to mention......what if he couldn't move Lou this summer and had gotten Deng.  Boy would this have been a different team.  

Now we are playing the "what if" game.

Join the streeeeeetch club.

Ya'll are real creative in your ways to demean the person who turned this franchise around and gave us hope for the first in forever. 

I love how you place yourself inside Ferry's psyche.  Are you some sort of clairvoyant? 

The rule is you can not trade your 1st round pick in 2 consecutive years.  They could have easily picked a specific year for the first. 

Streeeeetch Armstrong sounds about right.

Pretty sure BKN traded three odd-year picks to BOS so no they couldn't just pick a specific year.

I don't have to be in his psyche, as @HawkItus alludes to, we can simply look at his actions.

No, those moves and non-moves were all part of the Wiz's plan.  You and I are not on the same level of understanding as the great one.

The strength or weakness of the side one chooses to back becomes obvious when they are forced to use what if's and inaccuracies.  Or when they pretend like they can read minds.  Everything I have posted has been factual and actually happened.  I don't need make believe scenarios to debate my side.

So ya'll keep streeeeeetching away.

Pretty sure BKN traded three odd-year picks to BOS so no they couldn't just pick a specific year.

I don't have to be in his psyche, as @HawkItus alludes to, we can simply look at his actions.

No, those moves and non-moves were all part of the Wiz's plan.  You and I are not on the same level of understanding as the great one.

That happened in the Pierce/Garnett trade which, GASP, occurred after the Johnson trade. 

Once again, more inaccurate information.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

So you just gonna leave me and @Alex on the hate-Ferry island?  Just like that, huh?

Honestly though, I agree with the above.  We can get past the events of the offseason.  Give Dom his statue and let's move forward from here.  This mess is beyond tiresome at this point.  Nobody tell Dolfan I said any of this.

LOL!!!  Yeah, sorry KG.  Thing is...I've never been much of a "hater" type.  It usually takes a lot for me to pick sides, but I swore DF was the 2nd coming of Babcock.  I had zero faith in his plan.  I was wrong and I hate that I gave up on him so quickly.  When Ferry came in, I was actually VERY excited because he said some amazing things and he seemed to get the fact that we needed a culture change.  He did it...so, I really don't have anything against him now.

A lot of people overlook the value of chemistry in team building.  The blueprint for that success is never the same, and there is a lot of luck/circumstance involved, but the key is putting yourself in a situation to capitalize on it.  Ferry put this team together in a particular way with a very particular vision...and it's working.

He deserves credit and recognition for what he's done.  That doesn't excuse what's being going on in our front office or any of his comments, but none of that was ever really serious to me.  Not even Levenson's comments - I was more offended by how STUPID he is.  

This is embarrassing more than anything and with Ferry clearly knowing what the hell he's doing, all we really need is for folks to put their egos aside and move forward.

• Like 2

Yeah, Hawks received the Nets 2013 first rounder so the next one they could have gotten was the 2015....OR they could do the swap because the swap allows Brooklyn to still have a first round draft pick, just not theirs. The Stepien Rule is all making sure that a team has a 1st round pick at least once in 2 years. It isn't necessarily that a team needs to have their first round pick.

But I really do not get where this "Ferry didn't want to lose but he didn't imagine this squad could do what they've done" line of thinking comes from. Was Ferry begrudgingly signing these players to contracts? He somehow was making moves that he himself thought sucked? Someone was twisting his arm to sign these players?

Just because Ferry did not succeed in his Plan A (which the Hawks might have done *even better* with) and had to go to his Plan B, or C or D or whatever, this doesn't mean Ferry didn't still put this team together and pick the guys he did. It's as if people want to point out that Ferry didn't get his first option and therefore he shouldn't get credit? Well, then I guess the Bulls shouldn't get any credit because their first option was to draft Hakeem Olajuwon but they had to settle for their next best option of MJ. The Thunder? Well, Kevin Durant wasn't their first option it was Greg Oden so whoops they get no credit for that one either....I see RC Buford won Executive of the Year last season even though Marco Belinelli was his only signing and that was a back-up plan for them because they really wanted Kirilenko or Mike Miller or Iguodala...I guess Daryl Morey shouldn't get any credit for his team this year because his Plan A was to get Chris Bosh so he didn't get that and clearly he didn't believe his team could win if he didn't get his Plan A...

And less snarkly put, where does the notion that Ferry didn't think this team could win come from? Seriously, where is there an actual reference that someone can point me to where I would be able to nod my head and say "OK, you're right he did say/mean/imply that." ?

I will tell you where it came from.  90% of his argument doesn't have a leg to stand on and he is desperately grasping for straws. 

Yeah, Hawks received the Nets 2013 first rounder so the next one they could have gotten was the 2015....OR they could do the swap because the swap allows Brooklyn to still have a first round draft pick, just not theirs. The Stepien Rule is all making sure that a team has a 1st round pick at least once in 2 years. It isn't necessarily that a team needs to have their first round pick.

But I really do not get where this "Ferry didn't want to lose but he didn't imagine this squad could do what they've done" line of thinking comes from. Was Ferry begrudgingly signing these players to contracts? He somehow was making moves that he himself thought sucked? Someone was twisting his arm to sign these players?

Just because Ferry did not succeed in his Plan A (which the Hawks might have done *even better* with) and had to go to his Plan B, or C or D or whatever, this doesn't mean Ferry didn't still put this team together and pick the guys he did. It's as if people want to point out that Ferry didn't get his first option and therefore he shouldn't get credit? Well, then I guess the Bulls shouldn't get any credit because their first option was to draft Hakeem Olajuwon but they had to settle for their next best option of MJ. The Thunder? Well, Kevin Durant wasn't their first option it was Greg Oden so whoops they get no credit for that one either....I see RC Buford won Executive of the Year last season even though Marco Belinelli was his only signing and that was a back-up plan for them because they really wanted Kirilenko or Mike Miller or Iguodala...I guess Daryl Morey shouldn't get any credit for his team this year because his Plan A was to get Chris Bosh so he didn't get that and clearly he didn't believe his team could win if he didn't get his Plan A...

And less snarkly put, where does the notion that Ferry didn't think this team could win come from? Seriously, where is there an actual reference that someone can point me to where I would be able to nod my head and say "OK, you're right he did say/mean/imply that." ?

That wasn't my point.  My point is that this whole thing of sans Ferry we wouldn't be this good is crazy talk.  Yes, his moves worked.  No, he is not the only one who could have made moves and got this team to first in the east.  I'm pointing out that Lou was an admitted mistake by Ferry.  I think Deng would have been a mistake and even if not, the incident becoming public would have put stress on the locker room.  So there is a percentage of luck in what has transpired. 

This thread can easily be summed up as those who are catching feelings and getting sensitive Don't want ferry back. Those who are concerned with winning games are scared shitless the stupid owners are going to screw things up and run him off.

Feelings be damned I'm in the camp that wants to win ballgames.

• Like 4

That wasn't my point.  My point is that this whole thing of sans Ferry we wouldn't be this good is crazy talk.  Yes, his moves worked.  No, he is not the only one who could have made moves and got this team to first in the east.  I'm pointing out that Lou was an admitted mistake by Ferry.  I think Deng would have been a mistake and even if not, the incident becoming public would have put stress on the locker room.  So there is a percentage of luck in what has transpired. 

You have completely lost it if you think we would be in first right now without Ferry. 

There is a 0% chance of Bud being our coach if Ferry never comes.

• Like 3

If we do win the title, Ferry would have accomplished more, in 3 years, than Nique, Gearon and all of these other fools could do over two decades.  He will then get a fat and kushy job, with another franchise, the second we let him go.  He would certainly have the last laugh and I wouldn't just assume that we will just continue to cruise to the top once he leaves.  There are far more incompetent GMs than there are competent ones and even fewer elite ones, like Ferry.

Right on.

How did you come to that assumption? Have you personally done business or talked with the guy? Seems a little judgmental.

All one has to do is listen to him speak. 

This thread can easily be summed up as those who are catching feelings and getting sensitive Don't want ferry back. Those who are concerned with winning games are scared shitless the stupid owners are going to screw things up and run him off.

Feelings be damned I'm in the camp that wants to win ballgames.

Exactly.  It's all about wins for me.  Ferry's actions weren't bad enough for me to get on my high horse and act morally superior instead of wanting some wins.  I feel like Ferry gives us the best chance to win and I would like to see him stay for that reason.  Outside of a couple draft picks, everything he has touched has turned to pure GOLD.

I guarantee you every person on this forum has made an off-the-cuff joke, that was as insensitive or more, at least one time in their life. 

• Like 1

And I need to say this...

We could have moved Horf.  We could have moved Teague.  He got Korver to stay.  He brought in Sap.  He brought in DMC.  He drafted Dennis.  He drafted Scott.  Even Thabo has worked out.  Ferry may not have had this thing planned out this well, and NOBODY on this board thought it would happen this fast, but....damn man...he built this team and this team is whooping everybody's ass.

We give credit to Bud, but...Ferry brought him here.  We were a joke of a franchise and that might have been our biggest free agent move...EVER at the height of our mediocrity.  Bud could have had pretty much any post in the league.  He obviously saw something in Ferry's plan.

Even Korver was talking about it when we re-signed him.  He said we'd be playing the kind of basketball he likes, he believed in Ferry, and that we would surprise people.  At this point...we kinda have to just tip our hat to the man.

He may not have seen it happen exactly like this, but it is the fruit of his labor.  He put it together.

I can't hate man.

and all of the players say they want him back.

How can any one be against what the players want? 

I would love to hear KG and Hawkitus explain how they know what's better for this team more so than the players do.

Edited by JETSET

Still waiting on some reasoning. 

This one's going to be good.

2011-2012 Executive of the year Larry Bird

2013-2014 Executive of the year RC Buford(Works for Pop)

Pat Riley was just in line for a 3 peat and had 4 consecutive finals appearances

Yeah......