• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith insults the Atlanta fanbase

Wurider05

Yes, Frank White, you're supposed to support that...rtfm.gif

MC absolutely nailed it in his AJC blog. Sports teams are the only group in business that demands customers within their base to be loyal without any expectations. I never to this day could get myself around paying top $$$ to see a mediocre/poor product like they do in places like Cleveland or Philly. Even if they're just paying to boo their sorry team, at the end of the day, the owners are still laughing their way to the bank. And to me, that's simply not acceptable because at the end of the day, sports is still entertainment. And for the $$$ they're asking for, I demand better than 42-40 seasons, followed by first-round knockouts. And as you can see, I'm not alone in this town when it comes to having that sentiment.

Those Iso-Joe/Osh/Marvin teams were hard to root for and I've followed this team for over three decades. They ran a dysfunctional offense, never helped on defense, had a stubborn head coach (and even more stubborn GM), and when the chips were down, took their ball(s) and cowered in the corner. You think that team would've come back and won last night? You think that team ever had a 19-0 in them? They damn near killed pro basketball in this town despite making the playoffs. And we was supposed to be cool with that, right?

I'm glad the fans railed Osh last night. I'm even more glad that Teague ethered him today. His way of playing AAU-style, 'gotta get mine', lose with style over win with substance basketball was never welcomed here. Last night was a reminder as to why...

The article is great.

I've always found it funny that sports fans are supposed to be loyal at any cost.

Here is what Teague said:

On playoff atmosphere: “That’s when it’s fun. I think guys like playing when it’s emotional. Josh (hushing) the crowd. That is fun. … I knew he was going to do something like that. They were booing him all night. He is a good player. I’m glad they responded the way they did (after hushing incidents). It was fun. He did a lot of great things for this franchise but he’s gone now. They wanted to let him know he’s not welcome here anymore.”

Chris took Jeff's comments out of context. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Haha NOTR...I thought I would get in late and make a post on my opinion about Smoove - but I should have known that by page seven the thread would have degenerated into arguments and off-topic stuff man_in_love.gif

Oh Well - we won the game - that's the main thing.

How many pages before it morphs into a favorite beer thread.?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

i remember Nique got a long standing ovation went he returned to Atlanta with the Clippers.

6. March 25, 1994: Returns to Atlanta with the Clippers, scores 36 in a 97-94 win. Traded away 31 days earlier off a first-place team to a last-place one, Wilkins was considered expendable by the Hawks due to age and the uncertainty of his contract status following that season. Wilkins recalls: “It was one of the best games I ever played, under circumstances. I got more of an ovation (at pregame introduction) than at any other time of my life. People stood up for 10 minutes.”

ATLANTA, March 25— Dominique Wilkins turned his homecoming into a night of personal celebration tonight.

Wilkins, the leading scorer in Atlanta history, had 36 points for the Los Angeles Clippers, sparking a 97-94 upset that snapped the Hawks' winning streak at four.

It was Wilkins's first trip to Atlanta since being traded to the Clippers on Feb. 24 for Danny Manning, who was in foul trouble and got just 6 points.

Wilkins drew a pregame standing ovation that lasted for 1 minute 40 seconds. "I'd rank this with all the thrills I've had in the game," Wilkins said. "It may be No. 1, in fact."

Wilkins gave the Clippers a 93-92 lead on a rebound layup with a minute left to complete a comeback from a 74-67 deficit.

That was the only time in my life that I ever cheered against the Hawks.   That game was electric and surreal at the same time. The crowd naturally was cheering for the Hawks for most of the game, but every time Nique scored, he'd get a huge ovation.  So when the game came down to the wire, everyone was kind of hoping that he'd pull it out . . and he did.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Here is what Teague said:

Chris took Jeff's comments out of context. 

too bad Jeff's real version aren't getting as much play as Chris' sensationalized version.   That clown should be covering minor league baseball.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

It goes beyond getting booed off the court. It goes into why you're getting booed off the court...

Perhaps the memory of his shot selection and decision making processes he had while he was here did it.

Perhaps it was the fact that he was the face of a dysfunctional team did it.

Perhaps because we knew before tip-off that he'd do something like shush the crowd after hitting a shot did it. I haven't seen JJ, Jason Terry, or Marvin do that; you?

It goes beyond getting booed off the court. It goes into why you're getting booed off the court...

Perhaps the memory of his shot selection and decision making processes he had while he was here did it.

Perhaps it was the fact that he was the face of a dysfunctional team did it.

Perhaps because we knew before tip-off that he'd do something like shush the crowd after hitting a shot did it. I haven't seen JJ, Jason Terry, or Marvin do that; you?

Terry has made plenty of enemies with his behavior towards the Hawks. Don't know if it was a crowd shushing but he's way worse than Josh IMO when it comes to disrespecting the Hawks. 

• Premium Member

Terry has made plenty of enemies with his behavior towards the Hawks. Don't know if it was a crowd shushing but he's way worse than Josh IMO when it comes to disrespecting the Hawks. 

Terry has a lot to be upset with when it comes to the Hawks and I believe it's his vitrol not Josh's that has spread throughout the league.  I remember the rant that Terry made when he went to Utah.  I have always thought that we mismanaged Terry.  Instead of bringing him in to work with an established guard, we brought him in to work with Jim Jackson and JR Rider (6 months).  Terry never learned how to play PG and after two years, he was calling himself an OG.   He's too short to play OG defensively so basically what we did to him was make him a bench player who needed a big ball handling PG to play beside him.

I think had we kept Steve Smith, JT would have learned to play the position the right way.  It took years for him to get it right... and finally playing beside Jason Kidd who was coaching him then.

I can imagine when guys talked about the Hawks, Terry was the main detractor based on his experience.  Not only did we not train him well and set him up to fail but we booed him in the process.  I'm guilty.  From the day that he said his position is "guard" and I went to the Hawks vs. GS game and watched Mookie Embarrass him... I knew that this guy would not be good as a Hawk.  I still hate that we couldn't get Andre Miller.