• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

#1 Seed Thread!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Last time we clinched the 1st in the East, we had to get past Shaq!

If Shaq was mad about this game, he was about to be really upset by the end of the next day...

NBA ROUNDUP : Hawks Clinch Top Seeding in the East

April 24, 1994 | From Associated Press

The NBA playoff picture got clearer Saturday, making nine of today's 11 games meaningless as far as the postseason is concerned.

The Atlanta Hawks clinched the home-court advantage through the Eastern Conference playoffs with a 93-89 victory over the Orlando Magic at Atlanta.

The Hawks will play Miami in the best-of-five first-round series. The Magic will play Indiana.

Atlanta's victory locked the New York Knicks into the second seeding and the Chicago Bulls into the third, no matter what happens in today's game between the two teams.

All the Western Conference seedings were determined after Friday night's games. Top-seeded Seattle will play Denver, Houston will play Portland, Phoenix will play Golden State and San Antonio will play Utah.

pixel.gif

Playoff schedules will be released today.

"You always want to be going into the playoffs on a positive note," Atlanta Coach Lenny Wilkens said after Saturday's game.

The Hawks' Stacey Augmon had 22 points and 11 rebounds, and his dunk with 26 seconds left ended the scoring. Kevin Willis added 21 points and 14 rebounds, Danny Manning had 19 points and Mookie Blaylock added 15 points and 15 assists.

The Hawks won their fourth division title since moving to Atlanta in 1968.

The key play came with about 30 seconds remaining. Orlando trailed, 91-89, and had a chance to tie. But with the shot clock running down, rookie Anfernee Hardaway lost the ball to Blaylock, who passed to a wide-open Augmon for the dunk.

"I thought it was great that the game came down to a defensive play for us," said Wilkens, who has been stressing defense ever since he took the Hawks' job after stepping down as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers after last season.

Shaquille O'Neal, in a battle with San Antonio's David Robinson for the league scoring title, led the Magic with 27 points and 19 rebounds. He is averaging 29,313 points with one game remaining against New Jersey. Robinson is averaging 29.266 points heading into his regular-season finale tonight against the Clippers.

"I wasn't thinking about points," O'Neal said. "I wanted to play my game--25-28 points. If I get the scoring title, I get it. If not, I'm not worrying about it."

It was Atlanta's seventh home victory in a row and its sixth in eight games overall to finish the season, leaving it with a franchise record-tying 57 victories.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-24/sports/sp-49721_1_atlanta-hawks

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators
“I think it’s a credit to our players and all the good work they’ve done all year,” Budenholzer said. “Obviously, I’m proud of what they’ve done. Our focus is that there is a lot more to be done. It’s something they deserve credit for and to feel good about.”

“It’s something to be excited about,” Kyle Korver said. “I’m sure we’ll talk about it on the plane a little bit. We have a lot of season left. We don’t want to be satisfied.”

Korver said about five players were in the Hawks locker room when coach Mike Budenholzer stuck his head in to inform those not in the showers of the Cavaliers’ loss and offer a simple congratulations.

“We think about it some,” Korver said. “We think about it the right amount. We know we have 11 games left in the NBA season. You still want to focus on it. We are in a great position where we can try to be healthy and try to be fresh going into the first round. I think we think about it the appropriate amount.”

“The most important thing for us right now is to play like we are still chasing something,” Kent Bazemore said. “It’s a bad time to relax. You never know who you are going to face in the first round. Teams are going to be hungry. Target has gotten even bigger. Right now, we need to keep doing what we are doing, acknowledge it and move on because we are just starting to pick it back up and get back to our brand. It’s a bad time to relax.”

“It’s a great accomplishment,” Millsap said of the No. 1 seed. “We have to celebrate our accomplishments. It’s big. It’s been a good year for us. The way we fought through it. The ways guys came to work every day and tried to get better. It’s a major accomplishment.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/hawks-clinch-no-1-seed-in-eastern-conference/nkgz4/

~lw3

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This really is a great accomplishment! I think it's not getting a lot of attention because we pretty much knew we would be number one shortly after the all star break.

We worry about home court against GS, but lets worry about getting out of the East first. It'll be hard for any Eastern team to win a series against us when we have 4 games in Atlanta. Plus, we are a really good road team too. It has been a great year and the fun is just getting started. Go Hawks!

Edited by cam1218
  • Like 2