• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Al Horford a Hall of Famer?

ATLien_

Is Al Horford a Hall of famer?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are y'all kidding me comparing laettner to horford in college? That's absolute nonsense. Laettner is easily top 5 college player of all time, how does Horf compare to that?

Don't forget Horford and the rest of the Gators became the first team to repeat as national champions since the 1991–1992 Duke Blue Devils. That is nothing to sneeze at. He was a two time All American too and if he played at Duke maybe he would have received some more college accoades.

To the gent that suggest Noah was the face of team. I can't really box with you on the that comment for its not tangible, measurable or IMO relevant. There are plenty of articles where players and coaches go on record stating Al Horford was the best and most important player on that team. Noah is one of the players that admits as much. Al Horford was the guy that shut Greg Oden down despite playing PF the whole year the coaches asked him to guard Oden in the championship. Those Florida teams were ironically very much like this current Hawks team, so the who's the superstar question came up alot. Lots of balanced scoring so Al's personal stats suffered.

Al Horford was and still is the best player from that team; there's a reason he went 3rd overall in a good draft.

Back in 92 and even now I wonder why they didn't pick Shaq or Zo for that collegiate dream team spot. They were better players. Was it a racial thing?

It must have been. If basketball is anything, it's racist.

(Now THAT'S sarcasm.)

Al may be the better overall player now and may have been the most important player on that UF team but Noah easily was the face of that squad and still is the more popular player til this day due to his fiery Garnett like personality on the court. Al is more workman-like and level headed which is why he never gets the same attention or due respect.

Injuries have also hurt him as he was steadily on the risd in his career before both setbacks occured. The biggest thing I think is if he can lead us in the playoffs to the promiseland probably at least twice and land some All-NBA first team considerations all while increasing his Star-Power around the league he stands a chance but if his career continues on its current trajectory then no, not even close.

The thing to remember is that its a popularity contest. If Al isnt even popular (or Infamous in Laettners case) now how do you expect him to stand out once he is done playing?

You are kidding, right? Please say you're kidding. Please. Please.

I'm not gonna make this thread about race. I guess the dream team wanted Christian because he was a better team guy and would defer to the NBA stars.

Edited by Spud2Nique

Don't forget Horford and the rest of the Gators became the first team to repeat as national champions since the 1991–1992 Duke Blue Devils. That is nothing to sneeze at. He was a two time All American too and if he played at Duke maybe he would have received some more college accoades.

To the gent that suggest Noah was the face of team. I can't really box with you on the that comment for its not tangible, measurable or IMO relevant. There are plenty of articles where players and coaches go on record stating Al Horford was the best and most important player on that team. Noah is one of the players that admits as much. Al Horford was the guy that shut Greg Oden down despite playing PF the whole year the coaches asked him to guard Oden in the championship. Those Florida teams were ironically very much like this current Hawks team, so the who's the superstar question came up alot. Lots of balanced scoring so Al's personal stats suffered.

Al Horford was and still is the best player from that team; there's a reason he went 3rd overall in a good draft.

All of that may be true but laettner went to 4 final 4s, 3 championship games and won 2 of em. That is beyond amazing. Al was a great college player and I love the fact that he's a hawk....but collegiately he can't really compare to Christian

All of that may be true but laettner went to 4 final 4s, 3 championship games and won 2 of em. That is beyond amazing. Al was a great college player and I love the fact that he's a hawk....but collegiately he can't really compare to Christian

Al got back to back championships. Agreed Christian's resume is better but it's close imo

I've conceded that Christian has a better college resume, but like I said he Al's alot closer to Christian's college career than Christian is to Al as a Pro. Al has basically been a top 100 player since he came in the NBA, and had been top 30 or better since his first all star selection(year 3 ?). I'm not sure Christian has ever been a top 100 player in the NBA; I guess he would have had to have been in his one all-star year. My point is he was a fringe top 100 player.

If Al gets us a ring I think he has a legitimate shot at the hall. He would join the short list of guys that have multiple rings in college and a ring as a pro as his teams first or second best player.

There are other worthy guys that aren't in that should be Alonzo Mourning would be exhibit A of that.

Edited by ATLien_

Never said anything about their pro careers bc Al is better in that department but in regards to college Christian's resume is better than just about anybody you can put out there. Yes Al won 2 ships but he still falls short of what laettner achieved in college. He averaged 20 on back to back championship teams...that's insane

• Moderators

I'm not gonna make this thread about race. I guess the dream team wanted Christian because he was a better team guy and would defer to the NBA stars.

Nope.  Anyone would have deferred to that group.  You think Zo was going to tell Michael Jordan and co. to go #$*#& themselves or something?  Come on!

The reason was simple.  This was the first year that the US Olympic basketball team was going to be manned by professionals.  There was controversy over that decision to move away from amateurs.  The committee wanted an amateur on the team as a figurehead.  So who do you go with?

Shaq?  The guy who with Robert Stanley and an amazing Abdul-Rauf (in college) never won anything of any consequence?

Zo?  A guy who never managed to get past the second round of the NCAA tournament his last 3 years with the team? A guy who was never nearly as popular or decorated as Laettner?

Laettner?  Player of the year?  Only one of the three.  Multiple championships?  Only one of the three.   Any NCAA championship?  Only one of the three.  Multiple First Team All-American?  Only one of the three.  

Even more than the accomplishments in college is the fact that Laettner was insanely popular and well known - much moreso than Zo and even moreso than Shaq.  

Race is not a part of the equation.  You were picking a mascot for college basketball so you go with the most accomplished and popular guy.  That isn't a hard call.  I argued at the time that they should have taken Shaq or Zo over Laettner because I thought they would be better among that NBA talent but I never for a second thought it was about race.  And I hate Laettner.

I dont think so. Shaq was a sophmore. I think it came down to C.L. and Zo. C.L. had the two titles. I remember when he got traded to the Hawks. I was like oh no, oh no I have to root for HIM.

Exactly my reaction.