Is Al Horford a Hall of Famer?

ATLien_

Is Al Horford a Hall of famer?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm talking specifically about the "Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame" which considers your college career as much as your Pro career.My feeling is if Christian Laettner is in Al should get in.

I'll build my case through his career to date:

Best player on 2 time back to back college national championship team.

3 time NBA Allstar would be more without injury.

3rd team all NBA

Averaging near a double double for his NBA career.

His character and charitable contributions are definitely worthy.

If the Hawks win the championship this year I think he C walks in no problem. He would have lead a franchise that's never made it out of the second round to its first championship. Some will argue Christian was a superior college player, but I would argue Al is by a much better Pro. I think AL is a lot closer to Christian as a collegiate athlete than Christian is to Al as a pro.

What do yall think?

Edited by ATLien_

I forgot to add he's never missed the playoffs in his entire NBA career. A team that won 38 games without him won 60 the next year with him and were on pace to win near 50 when he got injured.

Edited by ATLien_

Laetner isn't in the Hall of Fame as an individual, he was honored as being part of the Dream Team and I sincerely doubt that many are really screaming for him to get in.   He is in the College Hall of Fame though and that's thanks to having a vastly superior college career to Al.  I mean, you're talking about an AP All American 1st and 2nd teamer, AP Player of the Year, Naismith College Player of the Year, Wooden award winner and Final Four Most Oustanding Player to go along with the two national titles versus a guy with just the two championships and only an AP 3rd team selection.  There was a reason that Laettner was on the Dream Team as the only college representative and that's because he was the de facto face of college basketball.  Al wasn't even the face of his own team, Noah was.  No, I think Laettner probably goes down amongst the best college basketball players of all time, Al isn't really cracking the top 100 on that list and I don't think that his NBA career is distinguished enough to separate him from a guy like Laetner..........who isn't even in.

Without a doubt if Laettner gets in then Al gets in. I think Laettner only has the Dream Team as "bragging rights" over Al when looking at their careers.

Back in 92 and even now I wonder why they didn't pick Shaq or Zo for that collegiate dream team spot. They were better players. Was it a racial thing?

Edited by Spud2Nique

Back in 92 and even now I wonder why they didn't pick Shaq or Zo for that collegiate dream team spot. They were better players. Was it a racial thing?

While it was obvious Shaq and Zo were going to be superior nba players, C.L. was a 4 year senior who led his team to back to back ncaa championships. It was ridiculas having a college player on that team anyway.

Edited by NJHAWK

Does anyone know what the actual criterion is for admission. I was trying to find out what they consider, but could only find that someone has to nominate you.

There are definitely lesser players in I'm just not sure why. I think they consider high school accolades add well.

While it was obvious Shaq and Zo were going to be superior nba players, C.L. was a 4 year senior who led his team to back to back ncaa championships. It was ridiculas having a college player on that team anyway.

So basically it was a race thing...

So basically it was a race thing...

I dont think so. Shaq was a sophmore. I think it came down to C.L. and Zo. C.L. had the two titles. I remember when he got traded to the Hawks. I was like oh no, oh no I have to root for HIM.

• Like 1

Are y'all kidding me comparing laettner to horford in college? That's absolute nonsense. Laettner is easily top 5 college player of all time, how does Horf compare to that?

• Premium Member

Are y'all kidding me comparing laettner to horford in college? That's absolute nonsense. Laettner is easily top 5 college player of all time, how does Horf compare to that?

Horford is probably the best college player we'll get until they change the one and done. If they change it. But otherwise I agree with you. People forget that Larttner is one of the greatest college players ever. Kids just don't stay four years and have the resume he put up at Duke now.