• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabo & Pero Arrested; Thabo OUT FOR SEASON due to injuries

ersimo2889

I never said they weren't. Read what I posted. Professional or not it's still A game.

I said the whole be a professional and not be out a 4am thing is overused.

Let's just agree to disagree on all this stuff. I've got playoffs on the brain.

Spursfanpeacemaker turning into spursfanshitsturrer

Wait, are you trying to pick a fight with me then?  Come at me bro ...boxing.gif  laugh1.gif

Nah, to your question earlier.  No, I don't have proof shootaround was canceled.  I heard it said and can't find the source.  Regardless, this conversation is tiresome.  The incident happened, Thabo's out.  I don't care enough anymore to argue why he was out, whether he should've been out, etc.  You win.  I'm on to the playoffs.

Yeah no more arguing.. lets get ready for playoffsdrinks.gif

@Spursfanpeacemaker seems to think professional athletes are slaves who have to entertain the masses only. They have the right to enjoy their lives too. This "don't blame the victim argument" was the only correct argument in this discussion. The culprit is the only person to blame!

Period!

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

• Moderators

@Spursfanpeacemaker seems to think professional athletes are slaves who have to entertain the masses only. They have the right to enjoy their lives too. This "don't blame the victim argument" was the only correct argument in this discussion. The culprit is the only person to blame!

Period!

I'd like this thread to die but I will say I don't think it is this simple. Nearly everyone acknowledges that athletes are real people with considerable freedom but some limits on that freedom due to their professional obligations - both contractual and practical. Are athletes allowed to drink a beer? Of course. A slice of cake? Yes. A diet of nothing but Oreos and vodka milkshakes? Not going to happen.

It is the same with recreational activities. Going dancing? Fine. Heavyweight pro boxing? No. Bull riding? No.

There is a point where things become too dangerous or detrimental where a player is contractually prohibited or at least subject to criticism for engaging in them. Clubbing at 4 am on a game day is in the gray area of conversation for whether that puts a team unduly at risk. The risk usually derives not from the player but from the environment and the other people involved, frequently drunk or high and over tired.

I bet Hawks players think twice about it after seeing the downside of that risk impact Thabo, Pero and Copeland all in the same night.

I'd like this thread to die but I will say I don't think it is this simple. Nearly everyone acknowledges that athletes are real people with considerable freedom but some limits on that freedom due to their professional obligations - both contractual and practical. Are athletes allowed to drink a beer? Of course. A slice of cake? Yes. A diet of nothing but Oreos and vodka milkshakes? Not going to happen.

It is the same with recreational activities. Going dancing? Fine. Heavyweight pro boxing? No. Bull riding? No.

There is a point where things become too dangerous or detrimental where a player is contractually prohibited or at least subject to criticism for engaging in them. Clubbing at 4 am on a game day is in the gray area of conversation for whether that puts a team unduly at risk. The risk usually derives not from the player but from the environment and the other people involved, frequently drunk or high and over tired.

I bet Hawks players think twice about it after seeing the downside of that risk impact Thabo, Pero and Copeland all in the same night.

Clubbing at 4am wasn't the problem. They didn't get into a fight because of touching someone’s girl, drinking too much or something like that. So no typical late-night-clubbing incident. They managed to avoid such trouble and that's why the grey area turns white. But some other persons didn’t exercise their job professionally that night...

• Like 1

Shams Charania: Thabo Sefolosha had successful surgery Thursday to repair fractures in leg, expected to return for next season opener, sources tell RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.6jFhOPJY.dpuf

I know some here are ready to write him off because of this incident but I will say this. We dont know how thigs are going to play out with Demarre. We may not match if some team overpays so itd be a major plus to have Thabo back as insurance otherwise we are looking at have a rookie like Sam Dekkar starting at SF for us next year. In other words Im estatic to know Thabo will be healthy and ready to go next year

• Moderators

Clubbing at 4am wasn't the problem. They didn't get into a fight because of touching someone’s girl, drinking too much or something like that. So no typical late-night-clubbing incident. They managed to avoid such trouble and that's why the grey area turns white. But some other persons didn’t exercise their job professionally that night...

That is the exact risk, though. They seem to have done nothing wrong but it could have been a drunk, a bouncer, a cop, etc. it wasn't Pierce's fault he got stabbed, wasn't Thabo's fault he got hit, wasn't a lot of athlete's fault they got turned sideways with something at a club in the early morning hours.

• Moderators

That is the exact risk, though. They seem to have done nothing wrong but it could have been a drunk, a bouncer, a cop, etc. it wasn't Pierce's fault he got stabbed, wasn't Thabo's fault he got hit, wasn't a lot of athlete's fault they got turned sideways with something at a club in the early morning hours.

In hindsight it seems risky sure but i wouldn't describe going to a nightclub as risky behavior.   For all we know this is normal for them and a lot of other players.   You certainly don't think there is a good chance of getting tackled by police and your leg broken.  Not if you aren't doing something stupid.  Just being there isn't stupid to me.  

We know nba players go to clubs all the time.   They are somewhat known for it.   I don't remember a single instance of a player getting injured seriously at a club by police or others.  (disclaimer: i haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if there are examples given already).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Seems this is a thread to be retired to the Classics thread once said and done... 44 pages and counting!

Just wait until TMZ drops the video that confirms that this incident was instigated(allegedly) by the NYPD. This thread is goilng to explode.

• Like 1

• Moderators

In hindsight it seems risky sure but i wouldn't describe going to a nightclub as risky behavior. For all we know this is normal for them and a lot of other players. You certainly don't think there is a good chance of getting tackled by police and your leg broken. Not if you aren't doing something stupid. Just being there isn't stupid to me.

We know nba players go to clubs all the time. They are somewhat known for it. I don't remember a single instance of a player getting injured seriously at a club by police or others. (disclaimer: i haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if there are examples given already).

There have been, including Tony Parker, PP, Copeland, Stephen Jackson, Thabo...

• Moderators

Just wait until TMZ drops the video that confirms that this incident was instigated(allegedly) by the NYPD. This thread is goilng to explode.

I am assuming that is the case. It isn't just the drunks who are riskier at 4 am. I was in NY this week and had to bite my tongue not to make a snide remark about this to one of the cops there. Very frustrating.

• Moderators

So 5 players of a possible 450 or 1%.

Many others injured, arrested or otherwise ending up in court. I'm not saying I would ban nba players from clubs if I were in charge, but I'd have to think about how to manage the risk.

Let's be real as well, if you read the articles on biometric programs like the Mavs run they show a real negative impact on performance as well from the lack of regular sleep. That is the most common risk.

• Like 1

People if you think clubs are just as safe as anywhere else you simply aren't paying attention. There's a reason they employee bouncers at clubs and have the police on speed dial. There's a reason why your local restaurant doesn't. Go Google club shooting, stabbing or fight and see his many articles come up. Watch the news sometime. Again not saying you can't go and that something pops off everynight, but I can't think of a single place it happens more often.

• Like 1

The commissioner said the NBA is monitoring the developments and trying to ascertain what exactly happened during Sefolosha's arrest. Silver added that he isn't "prejudging" anything about the incident. "I see our role here as a fact finder," Silver said. ESPN.com

Atlanta Hawks, Thabo Sefolosha, Adam Silver 

Sefolosha had surgery on Thursday in Charlotte, North Carolina, the team announced. He will miss the entirety of the playoffs. "It's a huge loss for the league to not have him on the floor. Obviously, a huge loss to the Atlanta Hawks to not have a player of his skill going to the playoffs," Silver said. Silver added that, as a friend of Sefolosha's, he felt "incredibly empathetic" toward the player."He's a player in this league, and we want to help him and assist him in any way we can. And our way of assisting him is to get the fullest understanding we can from what happened that night," the commissioner said. ESPN.com

Atlanta Hawks, Thabo Sefolosha, Adam Silver 

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/thabo_sefolosha#sthash.BEy9oxAu.dpuf