How is Devin Booker any different than John Jenkins?

Blunt91

I don't follow college ball like I do the NBA. I mainly just look at it during tournament time.  However, looking at Booker's Stats they are very similar to John Jenkins.  Booker is 6'6 in shoes while Jenkins in 6'4.  Booker's one step vertical is only 1 inch more than Jenkins, However Jenkins max vertical is 36 inches to Booker's 35.  Booker's Wingspan is smaller than Jenkins.  Basically what I want to know is why would do Hawks entertain drafting this guy when on paper he won't bring more to the table than what John can/would give?

Size and defensive ability makes a huge difference as well as age but both players rate as role players. It's just that Jenkins after the back injury never got back to the level he was expected to reach while Booker can at this point.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't follow college ball like I do the NBA. I mainly just look at it during tournament time.  However, looking at Booker's Stats they are very similar to John Jenkins.  Booker is 6'6 in shoes while Jenkins in 6'4.  Booker's one step vertical is only 1 inch more than Jenkins, However Jenkins max vertical is 36 inches to Booker's 35.  Booker's Wingspan is smaller than Jenkins.  Basically what I want to know is why would do Hawks entertain drafting this guy when on paper he won't bring more to the table than what John can/would give?

The 6'6" makes a difference.  I also think Booker is a better shooter.

The wingspan is something but when you consider Stephen Curry's wingspan... The Wingspan argument doesn't hold much weight when it comes to marksmen.

He's not a SF.  I see him as a SG.

I'm confused Jenkins played well this year when given the opportunity and shot almost 40% from 3. Why are we saying he didn't pan out? If Jenkins can't find the floor I'm not sure why you would draft his clone. Clearly Bud has prioritized Thabo's and Bazemore ' s defense over Jenkin's shooting. I would think we would prioritize defensive wing just in case Thabo tries to get into a no holds barred cage match again with the police again. Who wants to F with Hollywood Thabo? :)

Jenkins was a dominant college player.

Booker will be slightly better then Reddick due to his passing and court vision. I love him for our system but he is no star. I like RJ Hunter too. He is much longer but also much lighter. Both guys are stuck at SG due to opposite physical characteristics. You won't have the flexibility to play either at 2 positions.......but they are good at what they do.

The guy I really want at 15 is Justin Anderson. He is ready right now. he is not a star.......but he could be a star role player. At pick 15 I'm happy with that.

• Like 2

Jenkins was a dominant college player.

Booker will be slightly better then Reddick due to his passing and court vision. I love him for our system but he is no star. I like RJ Hunter too. He is much longer but also much lighter. Both guys are stuck at SG due to opposite physical characteristics. You won't have the flexibility to play either at 2 positions.......but they are good at what they do.

The guy I really want at 15 is Justin Anderson. He is ready right now. he is not a star.......but he could be a star role player. At pick 15 I'm happy with that.

Good freaking call on Justin Anderson. He has the work ethic, the mental edge and the fit to be deadly. He can play both SG/SF in our system and could develop into a good shooter. He's like a really rich man's Bazemore.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Good freaking call on Justin Anderson. He has the work ethic, the mental edge and the fit to be deadly. He can play both SG/SF in our system and could develop into a good shooter. He's like a really rich man's Bazemore.

Same comparison I thought. A bigger bazemore. I dont know why he wasnt on my radar until now, but he certainly fits better than an oubre or dekker.

outside of hezonja and winslow, my preferences are stanley johnson, rj hunter, and justin anderson in order.

• Like 1

Same comparison I thought. A bigger bazemore. I dont know why he wasnt on my radar until now, but he certainly fits better than an oubre or dekker.

outside of hezonja and winslow, my preferences are stanley johnson, rj hunter, and justin anderson in order.

Oubre is raw as hell. But he's smart, can play team ball and is extremely toolsy and athletic where it counts for us. He has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. Think Dennis and Giannis ceiling. None of these guys are higher than him for me.

I like your preference but outside of Winslow and Johnson, Oubre is the top cat for me.

• Like 1

Devin is just a bit more consistent with the shooting. Being 6'6 doesn't hurt either, JJ is good but I think Devin's court vision and consistency set him apart, he probably won't even be an elite defender but he fits our system. His ceiling is being a Klay Thompson lite.

• 3 weeks later...

Booker can't even dribble. He has a great shot but I don't know.

At this point, I'd be ok with Anderson or Hunter. Dekker does nothing for me at all. I'd be fine with Oubre but he is super raw.

For some reason, I'm really not feeling Dekker or Oubre. I can't put my finger on it but there's something missing when I see them performing. I don't know if it's consistency or what. I've been wrong before (Hawks in 5/6 over the Cavs) but who knows.

As for the others, I really wouldn't cry about having Booker, Anderson, or R.J. at this point although Anderson is starting to intrigue me for his versatility. He also makes for good insurance in case DMC gets a Godfather deal elsewhere...

Edited by Dejay

The more time progresses the more I want us to get Oubre, he has the most potential of any of the possible players mentioned.

6'7, 7'2 wingspan. Lefty. He could easily turn into a Paul George-Lite for us

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The more time progresses the more I want us to get Oubre, he has the most potential of any of the possible players mentioned.

6'7, 7'2 wingspan. Lefty. He could easily turn into a Paul George-Lite for us

I agree with the Paul George comparison, but he's really raw as a player. How long will it be before he's ready to contribute? 

Justin Anderson looks more like a poor man's Bazemore than rich man's to me. Not as explosive and his jumper is at least as broke. It's hard for me to get a read on Booker; nice stroke, solid size and he competes hard, but he didn't show much outside of spot up jumpers for Kentucky.

I'd prefer Dekker, Turner/Booker, Oubre probably in that order as opposed to Anderson given the choice. For what it's worth, Stanley Johnson will bust if drafted in the top 10. Can't shoot or pass, unathletic (never finishes at the rim, always throwing up floaters) and slower than you'd think given his build. Really don't see what others are seeing in him.

I agree with the Paul George comparison, but he's really raw as a player. How long will it be before he's ready to contribute? 

Not sure to be honest, I know he's pretty raw at this point so I wouldn't expect him to be amazing right out of the gate. Judging from a friend I have that follows KU hoops religiously, he claims he's the type of player that thinks he's better than he actually is right now but definitely has a high ceiling potential wise.