• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gas/Atl not doing well in playoffs

DrReality

curious if there is a common denominator why both teams have hit a wall in the playoffs. Is it

Their opponents?

Coaches

Point guard play

lack of experience with the system

The Spurs made it work but GS nor Atl have.

What say ye?

I think maturity of point guard in the system is a factor.

1.) Memphis is a hell of a team, and built for the playoffs...and it wouldn't surprise me if they won it all

2.) The hawks need to find some sort of motivation- our best players look like they don't want to be out there half the time; the bench coming in and dominating the same game the starters looked absolutely lost in is unacceptable

Memphis is a tough matchup for GS. Outside of the Spurs they were the only team I thought was tough enough to knock GS out. Memphis doesnt play that pretty boy up and down back and forth game. They wanna grind and make the game as ugly as possible and make you beat them in halfcourt. They can control the tempo of every game so im not surprised they are having some success right now.

I am surprised we are struggling however. Teague is the biggest noticeable factor. We literally are a different team based on his level of aggression. Dennis showed today what happens when the PG position is attacking and getting penetration. It takes pressure off of everyone else because now they are a little more open and have to do less creating

Teagues been a starter for 4 years at this point ... I don't thing its experience but his inconsistent play is a problem.  Hawks have been in the playoffs every year so most of them should know what to expect.  They just don't seem to have the same drive as a team that they had before the All Star break.  Washington wants to win this series and other than the bench play today this would of been a devasting defeat.  

Memphis should scare alot of teams in the playoffs.  Great inside game with decent defenders on the outside.  Atlanta would struggle with them in a series if we were so lucky. 

Edited by FastFreddie

curious if there is a common denominator why both teams have hit a wall in the playoffs. Is it

Their opponents?

Coaches

Point guard play

What say ye?

The Spurs have Tim Duncan and the Hawks/Warriors do not.

GS (defensive efficiency) Atlanta (scoring defense with Thabo) Washington (FG% defense) and Memphis (scoring defense all year) all have claims of being great defensive teams at some point in the season. The difference is the heavy reliance on three point shooting for us and GS. It detracts from your defense as the game wears on. Washington and Memphis have the strength and size to post up as well, GS and Atlanta can't. That's huge.

My opinion of Beal has increased a lot. He's taken Kyle out of the series for the most part, priority #1 when playing the Hawks of course. He's no Tony Allen, though.

GS and Atlanta will have to man up and fight the "soft", "finesse", and "jump shooting team" tags compared to their counterparts who are "tough" and "gritty". They must find releases for all the ball pressure instead of folding to it. If these teams can't share the ball everything else suffers. This avalanche of injuries and ailments to our starting 5 at the worst possible time ain't doing us any favors either.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Their opponents?

Coaches

Point guard play

What say ye?

and there is where everything gets screwed up.  Spurs have always been a good halfcourt team.

Guys I just woke up this morning and realized that this whole round so far has been a work (wrestling term). The NBA/Adam Silver want to create stories that they can market and GS and ATL stomping their first two series on their way to the conference finals isn't good for ratings. Both teams need to struggle, Hawks more so than the Warriors because they aren't recognizable nationwide (lack of exposure). Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this, but realizing that in a game where our starters could barely look at the Wizards without getting a foul, our bench erases a 20 point deficit in one quarter, with Joey Crawford still refereeing the game. Looks like a work to me, GS and ATL are being held back somewhat while their future opponents HOU/LAC and CLE/CHI duke it out in long series.