• Raised $390 of $700 target

SI Mock 2.0 - #15 Bobby Portis

AHF

• Moderators
  • 15 hawks_150.png

ATLANTA HAWKS (VIANETS)

BOBBY PORTIS, F

ARKANSAS, SOPHOMORE | 6-11, 240

Portis’s greatest strength: He competes like crazy. Executives love his relentless motor, which complements a diverse skill set. Portis is terrific in transition and is a strong floor-spacing big man prospect. The Hawks also love perimeter shooting big men.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/20/nba-mock-draft-karl-anthony-towns-jahlil-okafor-timberwolves-lakers-knicks

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Now, I love, love, LOVE Bobby Portis! A total Portishead here. He should be a better defensive stopper than he is, given his size and wingspan, and he's not a strong passer. But overall, I think he's more polished coming out of the blocks than either Mike Scott or (close your ears, Spartan fans!) our top pick from 2014.

That said, I agree Portis doesn't fit well UNLESS:

(1) We're using Mike Scott's pseudo-expiring contract (team option in 2016) to swing a draft-day deal or some kind of S&T (by another team) during free agency.

(2) We're pretty doggone sure Paul Millsap's going to get himself an offer he can't refuse (and live to tell about it) in July, necessitating an infusion of talent by adding another decent-shooting 6-foot-10-plus forward to play with Moose. While we do look deep at the 4/5 for now, Al Horford's free agency splash is also right around the corner.

I figure we'll have more pressing needs at the wing spots, and will be happy with whoever slips out of the lottery.

~lw3

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/10/nba-mock-draft-emmanuel-mudiay-kristaps-porzingis-karl-anthony-towns-jahlil-okafor

SI mock draft #3

This Portis-to-Atlanta thing seems to be gaining steam.  Clearly a do-over from last year's pick.

You'd think they'd at least change the commentary a little more than that ...

hawks_150.png
ATLANTA HAWKS (VIANETS)
BOBBY PORTIS, F
Several league executives believe the Hawks really like Portis here. Portis’s greatest strength: He competes like crazy. Executives love his relentless motor, which complements a diverse skill set. Portis is terrific in transition and is a strong floor-spacing big man prospect. The Hawks also love perimeter shooting big men.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/10/nba-mock-draft-emmanuel-mudiay-kristaps-porzingis-karl-anthony-towns-jahlil-okafor

SI mock draft #3

This Portis-to-Atlanta thing seems to be gaining steam.  Clearly a do-over from last year's pick.

You'd think they'd at least change the commentary a little more than that ...

hawks_150.png
ATLANTA HAWKS (VIANETS)
BOBBY PORTIS, F
Several league executives believe the Hawks really like Portis here. Portis’s greatest strength: He competes like crazy. Executives love his relentless motor, which complements a diverse skill set. Portis is terrific in transition and is a strong floor-spacing big man prospect. The Hawks also love perimeter shooting big men.

Well it wouldn't be the first time the Hawks did a do over draft pick(Drafting Horford after reaching for a big in Sheldon Williams).   Thanks for that tad bit of information.

Portis was the guy for me all along. Which means it won't happen. The wing's stocks that everyone around here were clamoring for are plummeting. (Oubre, Dekker etc..) as I expected. RJ Hunter is all over the board on mocks; I can't figure out what his real range is.

I like Hunter but his body is a major red flag for me. I can't understand how anyone that's serious about getting better can be 6-5 and only weigh 185 pounds as a junior in college. I know he's a gym rat for shooting, but he clearly likes shooting. Where's that same work ethic for lifting and getting stronger? To me his ability to add strength will determine how good he can be.

Portis will be the best two way player available for us.

Edited by ATLien_

Portis was the guy for me all along. Which means it won't happen. The wing's stocks that everyone around here were clamoring for are plummeting. (Oubre, Dekker etc..) as I expected. RJ Hunter is all over the board on mocks; I can't figure out what his real range is.

I like Hunter but his body is a major red flag for me. I can't understand how anyone that's serious about getting better can be 6-5 and only weigh 185 pounds as a junior in college. I know he's a gym rat for shooting, but he clearly likes shooting. Where's that same work ethic for lifting and getting stronger? To me his ability to add strength will determine how good he can be.

I really like the way Portis moves his feet on defense. His overall defense is pretty outstanding for a 20 year old. Crazy motor too, always hustling.

• Premium Member

I don't think the current ATL braintrust will ever look upon perimeter shooting ability as a deficit. To the contrary, I think if they could fill the roster with 14 guys who have to be guarded on the perimeter, they would.

I watch this kid's release, though, and I think to myself, it's so slow, I can't see him venturing out there for shots any more often than Horford does.

If we don't draft him, it will be because we simply like someone else a little better overall, and/or because we feel better about our chances of landing a free agent big for our bench.

I don't think the current ATL braintrust will ever look upon perimeter shooting ability as a deficit. To the contrary, I think if they could fill the roster with 14 guys who have to be guarded on the perimeter, they would.

I watch this kid's release, though, and I think to myself, it's so slow, I can't see him venturing out there for shots any more often than Horford does.

If we don't draft him, it will be because we simply like someone else a little better overall, and/or because we feel better about our chances of landing a free agent big for our bench.

I find myself agreeing with you a lot Sturt. For someone billed as a jumpshooter, Portis sure does have an ugly shot.

I do like his hustle, plays with a lot of heart.

• Moderators

The one guy who just keeps rising is Devin Booker whose perimeter game and good athletic testing at the combine seems to be moving into everyone's top 10.

• Premium Member

I have no issue with picking up Portis. Although the wing is a position of need, going BPA isn't a bad idea at all if guys like Oubre, Anderson, or Hollis-Jefferson are a reach at 15. Portis would bring some much needed intensity to this team and won't be a liability on either end of the court. He's very skilled for his age and a fluid athlete for his size. Makes you wonder why he's projected so low since he's good now but is still young enough to become better. He could be a steal at 15.

• 2 weeks later...

The one guy who just keeps rising is Devin Booker whose perimeter game and good athletic testing at the combine seems to be moving into everyone's top 10.

I wouldn't hate Booker, but only because he was a Cat. But he is a poor defender, too slow.