• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is coaching!

willthepureshooter

Diesel:  Can't use your lineup.  Korver is out for the season.  High ankle sprain.

Quiz:  What Hawk starter is not playing hurt or out because of injury?  Add to that

list our #1 sub and top defender, out for the entire series.

Most all of our bench players have suffered recent injuries but are still competing.

Sure, Bud has made his mistakes.  Remember, he's never been head coach this far

into the playoffs.  One Hawk, Millsap, was this deep when he was a rookie.  No other

Hawk has been here.  This team is tired, sore and hurting.  This is a learning experience

for the entire organization and also for us as fans.  We've not been here either.

Quiz answer:  No one.

WE STILL LOVE OUR HAWKS !!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This is not the time for us Hawks fans to be turning on each other.  Let's come together and give this team the support it needs.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!

No but he's the one who is using the MORONIC help defense scheme that DOES NOT WORK

Lebron knows when they come to help that he has to pass it. Lebron is a great passer. Apparently Bud has not figured this OBVIOUS fact out

U have to let Lebron get his and stop his teammates. Bud doesn't get this. He's fine with JR and Iman torching the Hawks

I don't care who get's mad Bud is a mediocre playoff coach

I do agree that you probably have to just let lebron get his, and stop everyone else.

In this series, But is acting more like Woody vs Orlando in 2010 in trying to stop Dwight ... than Larry Drew vs Orlando in 2011, who refused to double Dwight and slowed down everyone else.

It'll be interesting to see how Bud coaches Game 3 without his floor spacer.

• Like 1

I don't think defense is the problem. It's not like they are shooting crazy percentages. We played great D in game 1, JR Smith just couldn't miss. They only shot 43% last night.

The problem is offense. We just can't score against this team.

They shot 40% from the 3pt strike. Buds defensive scheme allowed bum offensive players like Iman Shumpert, James Jones, and Dellevadova to get clean looks. Shumpert himself lead the early run that sunk us way behind. He knocked down three 3 pointers.

The offense was also Buds fault. He allowed for his obsession with getting Kyle Korver going early to disrupt the rest of the team from getting into rhythm. Half of the first quarter was Korver time. For some reason Bud thinks Kyle's Kobe Bryant on offense. And from that point our team never got into an offensive rhythm.

Hand down.. Man down..

• Like 1

All team sports are the same: DEFENSE. In baseball, its pitching and defense. In football, its running the ball and defense. Basketball is no different. Its about rebounding and defense. Thats how championships are won. Sure, the Spurs/Hawks have the best offensive system in basketball, but its rebounding and defense that wins chips. Im beating a tired horse, but when your best big off the bench is suppose to be Pero Antić ( according to coach bud and Antić followers), then your team is in serious trouble. This isnt rocket science with the Hawks. 

Im serious, KYLE KORVER is a better post player than Pero Antić......................

kor.gif

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I wonder if Bud regrets not taking the 2nd half of the regular season seriously.  Just seems to me that this team lost that mojo after Bud started resting guys.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I wonder if Bud regrets not taking the 2nd half of the regular season seriously.  Just seems to me that this team lost that mojo after Bud started resting guys.

Honestly, I thought the same as I watched the Warriors play.  They stayed sharp as opposed to trying to cruise then get it back.

Theoretically we should've been able to do it.  However, much of this core played under the prior regime where mental toughness was a whispered rumor.  It should've surprised no one to see them struggle to play with the requisite intensity.

Plus all the rest meant nothing.  We got injured anyway.

• Moderators

I wonder if Bud regrets not taking the 2nd half of the regular season seriously. Just seems to me that this team lost that mojo after Bud started resting guys.

We might have come back earth anyway but I have wondered about the same thing. I don't think we can know.

I wonder if Bud regrets not taking the 2nd half of the regular season seriously. Just seems to me that this team lost that mojo after Bud started resting guys.

I was thinking about this during the second half of the season too. Our offense is about rhythm, pace, and everyone being on the same page. Why mess with your chemistry in order to rest guys? Terrible coaching idea! I can't remember the name of the Squawker that made the post about this very same topic. Maybe it was Diesel, Bonkers, or MaceCase? I can't remember.. But the resting strategy ended up being a disaster so far.

• Moderators

I don't think the resting was a problem.  We were really banged up and still are.  It's not like they sat for weeks.   I think Teague being gimpy, Millsap hurting his shoulder, Thabo being taken down have all been factors.  But the intensity is up and we haven't really matched that very well.   Our point guard play has been very inconsistent and that's a big problem for our offense.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

But the resting strategy ended up being a disaster so far.

Tough to say.  What if we didn't rest and just came down from the amazing play we had.  If we were down 3-0 against Cleveland now, would we be saying that guys are worn down and accuse him of pulling a Thibs?

Tough to say. What if we didn't rest and just came down from the amazing play we had. If we were down 3-0 against Cleveland now, would we be saying that guys are worn down and accuse him of pulling a Thibs?

Yep.

• Premium Member

I was thinking about this during the second half of the season too. Our offense is about rhythm, pace, and everyone being on the same page. Why mess with your chemistry in order to rest guys? Terrible coaching idea! I can't remember the name of the Squawker that made the post about this very same topic. Maybe it was Diesel, Bonkers, or MaceCase? I can't remember.. But the resting strategy ended up being a disaster so far.

I always have trouble differentiating the posts from @Diesel @Bonkers and @MaceCase

• Like 2

I disagree. To me it's less about resting players and more about injuries.

Frst Thabo went down, he was our most reliable bench player, we knew what we would get, he was also the glue guyfor the bench. With Thabo out it forced Baze into more minutes, Scott playing some SF etc. The bench got re-shuffled. Before, everyone had a specific role.

This team relies on each other to play the way Bud wants them to play, when you are missing significant pieces it hurts because unfortunately we don't have that SUPERSTAR to overcome injuries. (And yes if superstars were easy to come by we'd have one).

Second we went into the playoffs limping: Milsap with his shoulder and Scott with his back. Then the injuries kept piling up.