• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks plan to promote Mike Budenholzer, Wes Wilcox; part ways with Danny Ferry.

pimp

• Moderators

And as far as him getting rid of Author Triche, I'm glad he did. I obviously don't know the guy, and he was apparently well liked by many, and described as a real nice guy, but he was terrible at marketing/PR. We should thank our stars he's gone and we have Koonin here doing the job right.

And that's the thing.  Gearon and his 'old atlanta' crew have proved average at best and incompetent at worst at running an nba team.  Leavensen and Ferry, while perhaps conceited assholes, at least knew what they were doing.   They definitely bear the brunt of the blame for saying stupid things but what they accomplished in 2 years at the helm not only has this franchise going in the right direction but has now probably lined the pockets of Gearon and the other 7 dumbasses who were losing their shirts and trying to give the franchise to the pizza guy before Ferry came along.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'm listening, but so far, I'm not reading anything that actually substantively supports this idea that there was more than the Deng thing that drove Ferry out. Just b/c front office people don't like you doesn't get it done. Ferry almost certainly had the full support of the two guys who the new owners have handed the keys to... suggesting pretty clearly, to me anyway, that were it not for this hiccup on Ferry's watch, there was no inclination for the owners to want to go another way.

• Premium Member

Triche, btw... and fwiw... was instrumental back-when in getting GM Babcock to do a few Q&As around here... back-when it was just maybe 25 or so of us around. I can't speak for how he did the rest of his job, but I had certainly nothing but good interactions with him.

I'm listening, but so far, I'm not reading anything that actually substantively supports this idea that there was more than the Deng thing that drove Ferry out. Just b/c front office people don't like you doesn't get it done. Ferry almost certainly had the full support of the two guys who the new owners have handed the keys to... suggesting pretty clearly, to me anyway, that were it not for this hiccup on Ferry's watch, there was no inclination for the owners to want to go another way.

That's just it. It's all inuendos and wispers. Even some of the hosts on 92.9 The game are saying stuff like they know more but not really saying much else.

He fires some people, moved some people, got on some people's nerves etc. They felt they got pushed aside, so Gearon especially took his ball and went home.

Per Zach Klein on 92.9 The Game:

1. Lots of back stabbing going in Hawks management

2. Gearon didn't like DF

3. Nique had issues with DF

4. Too many cooks in the kitchen so DF reported directly to Levinson only, the other cooks didn't like that.

I am so glad the ASG is gone.

Owners wanted a clean slate.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

2. Gearon didn't like DF

4. Too many cooks in the kitchen so DF reported directly to Levinson only, the other cooks didn't like that.

Thanks for the recap.  Let's just hope the remaining remnants of the clownership are truly silenced going forward.

Also, is there any doubt the cryptic rumors coming out of 92.9 folks are coming from Triche?

Thanks for the recap. Let's just hope the remaining remnants of the clownership are truly silenced going forward.

Also, is there any doubt the cryptic rumors coming out of 92.9 folks are coming from Triche?

Exactly.

Just not understanding why Gearon gets a stake in the new ownership.   I'm guessing it's a tiny one but why bring on a guy who blew up his last partnership despite being a minority owner.

No doubt he threatened to torpedo the sale process if they pushed him out.  He's not obligated to sell is he?

No way they chose to keep him around after all that's happened during his tenure.

• Premium Member

No doubt he threatened to torpedo the sale process if they pushed him out. He's not obligated to sell is he?

No way they chose to keep him around after all that's happened during his tenure.

That or he threatened to go public again with his crusade against Ferry which is what the NBA doesn't want. Edited by Jody23

Let's play a game. Name other franchises in history that had success with the same person acting as coach as well as president/GM. Go.....

Edited by Ruckus

It sounds like all of the ASG, except Levenson's group, will still have some stake in ownership of the team. 

"According to several people familiar with the situation, there will some former partners and investors as well. Steven Price and Bob Goodman, who were part of a New York-based ownership group, will retain a stake in the team. Michael Gearon Jr., Michael Gearon Sr. and Rutherford Seydel, part of the Atlanta-based group, will also retain a small percentage. The group will likely include several others."

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/changes-coming-to-hawks-organization-upon-sale-of-/nmgLh/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcstubtomyajcpremium#5e3146f4.257061.735767

It sounds like all of the ASG, except Levenson's group, will still have some stake in ownership of the team.

"According to several people familiar with the situation, there will some former partners and investors as well. Steven Price and Bob Goodman, who were part of a New York-based ownership group, will retain a stake in the team. Michael Gearon Jr., Michael Gearon Sr. and Rutherford Seydel, part of the Atlanta-based group, will also retain a small percentage. The group will likely include several others."

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/changes-coming-to-hawks-organization-upon-sale-of-/nmgLh/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcstubtomyajcpremium#5e3146f4.257061.735767

So another kitchen full of cooks. Sigh.

2. Gearon didn't like DF

3. he actually said they didn't like each other

4. My interpretation was DF would only speak with Levinson, not that he did so because he was being chided or something

• Moderators

Bud is Coach and president - same as Pop.

GM position is different.

For that reason, as much as I wanna bang my shoe on the table about retaining Danny, I can grow to accept this arrangement. What I didn't want was Mr. "We Like Our Group" as GM-slash-coach, as I worry he'd be too hesitant to make major moves in mid-season (Payne never grew traction on the roster, so I cannot count his case). Wes was probably another decent season away from flying the coop for a full-time GM gig, so it might as well be here.

I trust Bud and Wes can continue to make the symbiosis work in these roles.

~lw3