• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Monta Ellis wants to be a Hawk

JETSET

I would have no problem with Motna coming here. When everything broke down for the Hawks and they needed to score they looked absolutely terrible. So they need a scorer like Monta

We may need a scorer LIKE Monta just not Monta.

Maybe it was being done by Monta who was sitting at home eating popcorn wondering why he has yet to win A SINGLE PLAYOFF SERIES IN HIS CAREER AS ONE OF THE TOP 6 PLAYERS BY MINUTES ON HIS TEAM.

HE HASN'T EVEN WON 6 PLAYOFF GAMES IN HIS CAREER ON A TEAM WHERE HE WAS A STARTER OR 6TH MAN.

But he will solve our playoff problems.  

picard.gif

It's a good thing he's only interested in us and not the other way around.

This is about getting a guy who can shot the #$*# ball in whether he is hitting 3's, dunking, getting to the line or whatever. MONTA CAN'T DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN SHOOT AND MISS LOTS OF SHOTS.

With Monta you get a:

.525% TS% Shooter

That SUCKS.

Teague has struggles shooting for much of his career but his .543% TS% is MUCH better than Monta's. Wesley Matthews, for example, has scored at a .577% TS% and is a MUCH BETTER DEFENDER.

Which would you rather have? .577% and defense or .525% and no defense? It is a no-brainer.

Moreover, he dominates the ball to the point where he averages nearly 3 turnovers a game (2.8 topg).

Volume does not equal ability. Anyone who shoots a ton of shots will put up points per game. The guys you want are the ones who can do it either efficiently or in a way that opens the floor for others. Monta does neither. No one respects his Josh Smith like 3pt shot so you don't get the spacing benefits we have seen boost other player's numbers in Korver. Then he takes a lot of 3$#&y shots that are worse than the team does in an average possession.

Apologies for being kind of a douche with the shouting and sarcasm in this thread but how many times do we have to go over this before people figure out that shooting a lot of shots doesn't make someone a good scorer? If you take lots of low % shots, that just means you drag the offense down worse than if you took fewer shots and hit that at an even average rate.

No problem trust me I'm not getting upset....but your still basing this on what Ellis has done on other teams which in fairness is all you can go by when looking up stats.

What I'm saying is that bud will make Ellis a legit all star player on the Hawks and if the Hawks go after him like they have before are you saying bud doesn't know what he's doing?

Bud makes players better...I think he has proven that in his first two years coaching. Now if we still had woody or LD I would completely agree that we need to stay away from Ellis but with bud I know we are getting a special player.

Numbers that Ellis put up with coaches not on the level with bud can't be used in this argument, I'm telling you that Monte will flourish under coach Bud....the coach matters when it comes to Monte

Edited by JTB

No problem trust me I'm not getting upset....but your still basing this on what Ellis has done on other teams which in fairness is all you can go by when looking up stats.

What I'm saying is that bud will make Ellis a legit all star player on the Hawks and if the Hawks go after him like they have before are you saying bud doesn't know what he's doing?

Bud makes players better...I think he has proven that in his first two years coaching. Now if we still had woody or LD I would completely agree that we need to stay away from Ellis but with bud I know we are getting a special player.

Numbers that Ellis put up with coaches not on the level with bud can't be used in this argument I'm telling you that Monte will flourish under coach Bud....the coach matters when it comes to Monte

Again look at what Louis Williams did while he was a Hawk. Monta and Louis are virtually the same player.

• Moderators

Numbers that Ellis put up with coaches not on the level with bud can't be used in this argument I'm telling you that Monte will flourish under coach Bud....the coach matters when it comes to Monte

I don't believe.  

Ellis has played for offensively creative coaches and HOFers like Rick Carlisle and Don Nelson to go along with guys like Scott Skiles and Mark Jackson.  Why would I want an undersized SG who can't play defense and is going to require a major financial investment to land and base that on the idea that Bud is a miracle worker who will turn a chucker into an sniper?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Again look at what Louis Williams did while he was a Hawk. Monta and Louis are virtually the same player.

Very similar except that Lou is the more efficient scorer:

.540% TS% > .525% TS%

I don't even wanna think about Antić right now lol

That is what Golden State and Milwaukee said about Monta after they got rid of Ellis and then went on to become NBA champions and playoff participants respectively after missing the playoffs every season he was a starter or 6th man with them.

We may need a scorer LIKE Monta just not Monta.

Well that's fair....again I'm not trying to push that hard for the guy I'm just trying to make others realize that this franchise need a scorer period. But Ellis would come cheaper than most scorers

• Moderators

Ellis just pushes my buttons and reminds me of the people who used to think that Allen Iverson was a scorer on the level of Michael Jordan while totally missing the fact that he shot 41% from the floor.  Averaging 30 ppg on 26 fgapg isn't that impressive, especially when you absolutely dominate the ball on offense.

• Like 1

Kyle's length and size are useful against many teams. Monta brings absolutely nothing to the table defensively. One of my more hated players. His acquisition was part of the Mavs' fall from elite status, his departure part of the Warriors' ascension to the top.

Monta gets 1.9 steals a game, that's all I need from him on defense lol the success of your team relies so much on matchups and Monta is a player that is great at exploiting his speed and scoring prowess. Off the bench he'd destroy the teams that we played in the playoffs this year

• Admin

Ellis just pushes my buttons and reminds me of the people who used to think that Allen Iverson was a scorer on the level of Michael Jordan while totally missing the fact that he shot 41% from the floor.  Averaging 30 ppg on 26 fgapg isn't that impressive, especially when you absolutely dominate the ball on offense.

Yes, his numbers are deceiving ... I think he would hurt this team more then help ... so many reasons ... yes he can score but it is inefficient ... he can't guard ... he is too small ... he is ball dominant ... he can't play PG .... he will command a lot of money .... he is the opposite from what our system needs.

• Moderators

Monta gets 1.9 steals a game, that's all I need from him on defense lol the success of your team relies so much on matchups and Monta is a player that is great at exploiting his speed and scoring prowess. Off the bench he'd destroy the teams that we played in the playoffs this year

He is the same on defense.  Fool's gold.  He gets the steals by abandoning defensive principles and gambling.  You want a wing who defends like Bruce Bowen and limits the good shots his man gets, not the guys who gives up tons of open looks and cheats off his man to rack up some cheap steals.  Even with those steals, he still turns the ball over more often than his opponent.  Monta averages 3.7 TO/48 this season while his man averages 3.2 TO/48.  He also gets destroyed on the boards by his opponent.  Korver's defensive numbers look great compared to Monta's and Korver is not a stud defender.

If we want a scorer, why not just draft grant? At least grant can actually play PG as well.

Grant would also allow us to move mack for a piece and free up salary, rather than costing us 10 million.

Because there are better players who will be available there at #15.  I am with you on wanting to spend on our free agent money on better targets, though!

He is the same on defense. Fool's gold. He gets the steals by abandoning defensive principles and gambling. You want a wing who defends like Bruce Bowen and limits the good shots his man gets, not the guys who gives up tons of open looks and cheats off his man to rack up some cheap steals. Even with those steals, he still turns the ball over more often than his opponent. Monta averages 3.7 TO/48 this season while his man averages 3.2 TO/48. He also gets destroyed on the boards by his opponent. Korver's defensive numbers look great compared to Monta's and Korver is not a stud defender.

Because there are better players who will be available there at #15. I am with you on wanting to spend on our free agent money on better targets, though!

Oh I definitely agree with better. But I think grant is a better use of resources. He might could also be had with a package of mack and some of our other picks.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/6/24/8839641/monta-ellis-atlanta-hawks-free-agency

Monta and Marc Gasol have both name-dropped ATL.  I think we have been successful in changing the way people view this franchise and we may finally be a free agent destination.

As for signing Monta, no thanks.

People have used the Hawks for leverage in the past. Hopefully that's not still what is happening... But until FA's start signing on the dotted line I will not get my hopes up about any major change.

• Like 1

He is the same on defense.  Fool's gold.  He gets the steals by abandoning defensive principles and gambling.  You want a wing who defends like Bruce Bowen and limits the good shots his man gets, not the guys who gives up tons of open looks and cheats off his man to rack up some cheap steals.  Even with those steals, he still turns the ball over more often than his opponent.  Monta averages 3.7 TO/48 this season while his man averages 3.2 TO/48.  He also gets destroyed on the boards by his opponent.  Korver's defensive numbers look great compared to Monta's and Korver is not a stud defender.

This would be great if we were weighing the options of trading Korver for Monta....

My point being that in our system you don't have to be an elite defender to get by, what he lacks in defense he can make up for by providing the spark that we desperately needed off the bench in this years playoffs.