• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

Glenn Robinson is a stud both athletically and physically.  He is a lean 220lbs, which is the size for most small forwards.  He is bigger and more athletic than Demarre Carroll who held is on a the 3 spot.

Glenn Robinson is a stud both athletically and physically. He is a lean 220lbs, which is the size for most small forwards. He is bigger and more athletic than Demarre Carroll who held is on a the 3 spot.

Plus he looks more the part of an NBA player than Patterson...

Where do you find overall SL stats for each player? I tried finding them on Hawks.com, but that website is atrocious. I get agitated every time I try to navigate that mess. 

NBA.com > News> 2015 Summer League> Teams> Stats

• Like 1

Few guys looked the part better or were more athletic than Harold Miner.  

That's not even comparable. The issue I have with all of these guys is their lack of a legit NBA skill but all have positives and negatives. I like Robinson the most just due to his ceiling but Patterson, Robinson and Petteway all fit our system. Training camp and pre-season should decide.

• Moderators

That's not even comparable. The issue I have with all of these guys is their lack of a legit NBA skill but all have positives and negatives. I like Robinson the most just due to his ceiling but Patterson, Robinson and Petteway all fit our system. Training camp and pre-season should decide.

I wasn't comparing the two - just pointing out that looking like an NBA player (Stromile Swift) or being super athletic (like Harold) doesn't necessarily translate into being a good fit.  Robinson's suspect jumper has me a bit unsure about his fit on the wing on our team, but if Bud likes him I'd definitely be fine.  I'm just not convinced we aren't going to sign a vet or hold this spot open (perhaps by signing someone to an unguaranteed contract, etc.). 

We could trade Mack for a second rounder and sign both GRIII and Patterson.  Let Mack go to a team where he can get some consistent minutes and net some emergency cash in case someone goes down. Patterson can our 3rd combo guard who can defend the 1, 2 and 3. GRIII nets us a 3 with impressive size and measurements that has a high ceiling, but also a low floor.  It's a risk I would take with his athleticism though IMHO.

• Like 1

Few guys looked the part better or were more athletic than Harold Miner.

True but we aren't spending a lottery pick on him...he's gonna be a 15th man on the roster.

• Moderators

True but we aren't spending a lottery pick on him...he's gonna be a 15th man on the roster.

I just think it is pretty important that we get another body that can fill in for significant minutes at SF.  If Thabo's recovery is delayed or he has another injury, we will be in a world of hurt with our SGs unless one of them shows they can handle the larger bodies for an extended period of time.  That goes double if Korver has problems.

I just think it is pretty important that we get another body that can fill in for significant minutes at SF. If Thabo's recovery is delayed or he has another injury, we will be in a world of hurt with our SGs unless one of them shows they can handle the larger bodies for an extended period of time. That goes double if Korver has problems.

Agreed...since we are in win now mode I just meant I prefer GR3 over Lamar.

Vet>GR3>Patterson

But I wouldn't mind a 2 player out trade (Scott and Mack to Nuggets for Gallo for example) then add GR3 as well. Best of all worlds.

We could trade Mack for a second rounder and sign both GRIII and Patterson. Let Mack go to a team where he can get some consistent minutes and net some emergency cash in case someone goes down. Patterson can our 3rd combo guard who can defend the 1, 2 and 3. GRIII nets us a 3 with impressive size and measurements that has a high ceiling, but also a low floor. It's a risk I would take with his athleticism though IMHO.

I agree Patterson can run point brings more size defense and versatility than selfish Shelvin Mack..Dump him keep Patterson and GR3..

• Moderators

Mack is an excellent 3rd string PG.  I wouldn't dump him and go with an untested second rounder given that we want to compete and already have a stud PG developing in our system.

• Like 1

I was very impressed with Patterson at the point especially this last game. Again, all these guys have shown growth as the SL has gone on and they have gotten more comfortable with one another and you can tell Patterson had a much easier time finding teamates going to the basket and in good spots to shoot. Before the last game I was ready to write him off as no NBA potential but he has bounced back and shown himself to be a playmaker,, and confident ball handler, and active defender. If we didnt have a need for a wing with size everyone would be talking about this dude as an ideal combo guard.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Mack is an excellent 3rd string PG.  I wouldn't dump him and go with an untested second rounder given that we want to compete and already have a stud PG developing in our system.

So we can't even develop a 3rd string point guard wow, some of you guys are real old school!

How do you think Mack was able to develop?  We need to sell high on him while he still has decent value.  He deserves to be a second stringer at this point in his career.  I like Mack but Patterson has the ability to offer more.  A 6'5" point/shooting guard that weighs just as much as GRIII. Very good court vision and rarely turns the ball over. Decent shooter and good range. Doesn't have great speed but plays with good pace.  I feel like he would be a good fit in our system.  Definitely would be better defensively if we decide to run dual point guard sets.  This is all just in theory though.  I would give Patterson a chance, give Mack a better opportunity elsewhere and gain extra cash and a pick.

How do you think Mack was able to develop?  We need to sell high on him while he still has decent value.  He deserves to be a second stringer at this point in his career.  I like Mack but Patterson has the ability to offer more.  A 6'5" point/shooting guard that weighs just as much as GRIII. Very good court vision and rarely turns the ball over. Decent shooter and good range. Doesn't have great speed but plays with good pace.  I feel like he would be a good fit in our system.  Definitely would be better defensively if we decide to run dual point guard sets.  This is all just in theory though.  I would give Patterson a chance, give Mack a better opportunity elsewhere and gain extra cash and a pick.

I kind of agree here. Mack should be a #2 backup somewhere instead of riding our bench and collecting DNP's 75% of the season as our 3rd PG. He deserves to play, and we could get something of value back for him. Most teams are lucky if they even have two quality PG's, we have three.

Although I'm not sure if I would make this move until you get Patterson into training camp and see how he looks with the regular players and in our full scheme first.

As has been mentioned, maybe trade Mack or Mack+Scott for another SF rotation player, sign Patterson, and you still have an open roster spot for later if needed. Or we could use that spot on GRob3, or another PF backup type if Scott goes.

Since we don't have a DLeague team can we sign any of these guys to a DLeague contract to play with our affiliate?

We can sign players to our affiliate ONLY if we have a exclusive D-league affiliate team. The problem is, let's say Ashley is balling and doing it big in the DL, another team can sign him to their NBA squad no matter if it's a 10 day or multi-year deal.

If w