• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

How do you think Mack was able to develop?  We need to sell high on him while he still has decent value.  He deserves to be a second stringer at this point in his career.  I like Mack but Patterson has the ability to offer more.  A 6'5" point/shooting guard that weighs just as much as GRIII. Very good court vision and rarely turns the ball over. Decent shooter and good range. Doesn't have great speed but plays with good pace.  I feel like he would be a good fit in our system.  Definitely would be better defensively if we decide to run dual point guard sets.  This is all just in theory though.  I would give Patterson a chance, give Mack a better opportunity elsewhere and gain extra cash and a pick.

Patterson is a SG he's not close to being a PG regardless of his court vision. He has offensive skill that is similar to Mack if not better but his defense isn't close to Mack's position being accounted for.

I like Patterson. I really think we should either send him back to Europe or the D-League if we have a team. I still want to see what we got out of Bazemore first. I am not in the market to trade Mack. Having a legit 3rd PG is vital.

Mack is an excellent 3rd string PG.  I wouldn't dump him and go with an untested second rounder given that we want to compete and already have a stud PG developing in our system.

Agreed AHF...after going through the "no real PG" years...I'm all for keeping him.  In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if Mack gets more playing time early next year - even if it's just to make a point to Dennis.

But whatever, I kinda like Mack but I see no reason for the Hawks to trade him just so he can be a true backup on another team.  Screw the other teams - a decent 3rd string PG can be really handy if the injury bug bites.

Patterson is a SG he's not close to being a PG regardless of his court vision. He has offensive skill that is similar to Mack if not better but his defense isn't close to Mack's position being accounted for.

I like Patterson. I really think we should either send him back to Europe or the D-League if we have a team. I still want to see what we got out of Bazemore first. I am not in the market to trade Mack. Having a legit 3rd PG is vital.

I respectfully disagree.  I think Patterson can man the PG position in our system. Mack isn't the point guard of the future for us and benching him only lowers his value. I don't see how Patterson isn't close to Mack defensively at the point or anywhere else.  The guy isn't an all world defender.  Patterson isn't John Jenkins on D.

I'm not selling Mack short though. I think he is a great 3 pg. I just think now we are getting a better deal if we trade the guy to a team that needs him.  I just think that Patterson is a better fit at the moment.  Can play some spot minutes at the 1, 2 and 3.  We know Coach Bud values versatility, so I think that will determine if Patterson will find his way onto the roster. 

All in all, I am fine with keeping Mack.  But if an opportunity presents itself to trade him, we probably should jump on it and develop the players we have at our disposal.  His value isn't getting any higher than where it is now.  We need $$$ and a few extra mill would help.

• Like 1

Having a legit 3rd PG is vital.

There are teams that don't have a legit 2nd PG, so not sure I agree with this. Actually, no. I think a legit 3rd PG is a luxury, not a need. If we were set everywhere else then I'd love to have Mack hang around on the bench. But the fact is we could still use some legit help in or top 2 rotation on the wing, so Mack is trade bait. I think Hardaway will be fine as Korver's backup. And every report says Korver will be fully recovered well before training camp starts.

I think Thabo is a more risky proposition. He could be healthy by the time the season starts, but will he be game ready by that point? And will his rehab run a month or more into the season? I'm comfortable with Bazemore on the wing. I'm not comfortable with Holiday yet, simply because we haven't seen him with our group, and he was an end of the bench player in GS. I like his potential, just not sure I'm ready to go into the season with him as one of the top 4 players in the wing rotation if Thabo has to miss some time. Especially when Hardaway is already going to have some growing pains early in the season, as all new players do in this system. 

Of course all of this hinges on a wing upgrade even being available for Mack or Mack+Scott. If not, then it's a moot point and I'll trust Bud to get everybody as ready as possible and cheer for who is here. But right now I see Mack as a commodity at a position of strength that we could potentially use to boost a position of weakness - while also not losing much by having a replacement in Patterson waiting in the wings.

• Moderators

If we can deal Mack for a decent sf or package him with others, then I am fine with that. I am NOT on board with dumping him to develop someone who not cut it as a third pg in a year we are looking to contend. We will need Mack at some point this year. I'm not convinced we'll ever need Patterson this season.

• Premium Member

Nah..we dodged a bullet. Kid is a little ball hog.

Two words. Jordan. Crawford.

That's all you need to know about how much gravity should be given to big scoring numbers early in a player's career.

Like a lot of things in life, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

That's all you need to know about how much gravity should be given to big scoring numbers early in a player's career.

I was just about to type Jordan Crawford...

• Premium Member

It is reasonable to me to think that the very reason why no viable PGs are on the SL team has been precisely because Budcox wanted to see how Patterson does at that position.

Verdict is still out, but I'd hasten to say that they're feeling good about most of what they've seen, and are probably anxious to see more.

Problem for Patterson is that Budcox doesn't have to put him on the roster this season (, or ever for that matter). He's going to have to force his way into the mix because ATL controls his NBA rights. Short of a Mack trade, I predict he's going to be playing somewhere this year where ATL has worked out an agreement that he'll get more PG minutes.

Speaking of Mack...

I think Bud really really loves playing Teague and Schröder together, and for that reason, Mack is more important to this roster than the 3rd PG normally is. He is that security blanket that allows Bud to have those two accumulate minutes at the same time.

Jordan didn't have that size or athletic ability nor did he have that catch and shoot ability.

It is reasonable to me to think that the very reason why no viable PGs are on the SL team has been precisely because Budcox wanted to see how Patterson does at that position.

Verdict is still out, but I'd hasten to say that they're feeling good about most of what they've seen, and are probably anxious to see more.

Problem for Patterson is that Budcox doesn't have to put him on the roster this season (, or ever for that matter). He's going to have to force his way into the mix because ATL controls his NBA rights. Short of a Mack trade, I predict he's going to be playing somewhere this year where ATL has worked out an agreement that he'll get more PG minutes.

Speaking of Mack...

I think Bud really really loves playing Teague and Schröder together, and for that reason, Mack is more important to this roster than the 3rd PG normally is. He is that security blanket that allows Bud to have those two accumulate minutes at the same time.

This is where we agree. Patterson is under our control. We don't have to bring him in next year as we have his rights. No point in keeping him unless he's good enough to be in the rotation. GR III and Petteway are the guys we need in training camp. We need to hold their rights to some degree and if one is signed, we can keep them for the long haul.

Jordan didn't have that size or athletic ability nor did he have that catch and shoot ability.

Stop it. It's Summer League. Plus, those "highlights" weren't all that impressive.

• Premium Member

I'm not saying Oubre isn't the real deal. I'm saying it's too early to say with any legitimate confidence.

I think you, Supes, would agree Patterson will be in our training camp, almost no doubt. He just won't be actually competing for a roster slot, and will be somewhere in Europe by opening night. But he should continue to work at the PG skills and giving Budcox confidence that they can trade Mack as soon as someone loses a PG to injury and a good deal would surface.

Btw, guys... he prefers GRob3 based on his website... if that matters.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1