• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I guess we are not after Monroe

capstone21

• Premium Member

If we ran a traditional offense, I'd be interested in Greg Monroe.  Given what we currently run, I've concluded he is not a fit.  There are other free agent big men we should target that fit our system.

Don't forget, Monroe is not a 'rim protector' either, according to reports.  This should be a great focus for a big man.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If we ran a traditional offense, I'd be interested in Greg Monroe.  Given what we currently run, I've concluded he is not a fit.  There are other free agent big men we should target that fit our system.

Don't forget, Monroe is not a 'rim protector' either, according to reports.  This should be a great focus for a big man.

He isn't.  He is a post scorer, a plus rebounder, a plus passer, and is better at defending players near the rim than chasing on pick and rolls where he is pretty terrible.

Thank God. Now everyone who has been talking about him for the last 2+ years ends. Lol

Now if we can just get folks to stop talking about Lamb ...

Not really good for us unless we have Marc in the bag.

Disagree. I wouldn't want Monroe even if we don't get Marc. He just doesn't fit into our style of play imo.

Wow....that really changes the view of things! So did bud keep ferry from trading off Teague and Korver last summer?

Hmmmmmmmmm........

You mean the Detroit swap - that was a bad deal so I think DF passed as well.

Good, never wanted him here. Kyle frikin' KORVER had more blocks than Monroe last year for Chrissake...

Wow....that really changes the view of things! So did bud keep ferry from trading off Teague and Korver last summer?

Hmmmmmmmmm........

Well, what I'm about to say is just speculation, but it's not blind speculation. I think Bud and perhaps Wilcox were the real talent behind the scenes that are responsible for the brilliant free agency moves that built this team more than Ferry was. We have to consider a few things:

1) We rightfully stocked up on salary cap space in an attempt to lure Howard and Chris Paul in 2013. That didn't happen. But it has been widely speculated and talked about that this was Ferry's vision - to lure a superstar here to build around.

2) The fallback plans that we now know happened were to sign Millsap and Carroll instead, match the offer to Teague, and get Korver resigned. We know from comments collected since then that Millsap and Carroll were players that either Bud had long admired (per Bud himself regarding Millsap) or that Wilcox had long kept an eye on (per Wilcox regarding Carroll). Same thing with Bud and Wilcox saying they've kept an eye on Baze. Same thing with Bud saying Korver was a great piece to build around when we convinced him to resign here, although Ferry was obviously on board with this and per Korver, Ferry's vision is the main reason he resigned here. The speculative conclusion is that these were mostly signings pushed for by Bud and/or Wilcox after the superstar plan failed to materialize.

3) We also know that Bud is the one that had to convince Pop to pull the trigger on the Kawhi trade.

4) This tells us that at least Bud, and probably Wilcox too, know what they are looking for, and what they are doing when it comes to veteran player acquisitions. (Hello Tim Hardaway). I'm sure Ferry was fully on board with these moves too, or they wouldn't have happened. But it seems that while Ferry, Bud, and Wilcox were able to come to the same final conclusions, it would appear that Ferry had a slightly different mentality for what would be a "best case scenario" for how to build a roster.

5) Just look at A. Payne for example. How his drafting and trade came about makes more sense if you look at it through the lens I've described. If Payne was Ferry's pick, and Bud and Wilcox weren't fully on board with it, then it's easier to see why he was never played and subsequently traded. 

All of this is a long way of saying I think Bud is the real superstar in the front office. Not to take away from anything anyone else has done for us. But he's the guy that has identified players that he knew were going to be amazing fits and finds. Our draft picks havent' worked out so great. But our free agents have. This part is pure speculation: but perhaps Bud and Ferry weren't exactly on the same page with most of those draft picks. We saw what happened the first draft Bud was responsible for - the players they wanted were gone, he dind't see any players he wanted, so he punted it down to 19, then punted that into a player he thinks he can actually do something with. In years past with Ferry in charge, perhaps we would have stayed at 15 and picked a player that didn't really fit what we are looking for. Who knows for certain, but it's some food for thought. We'll know more over the next few years if Bud/Wilcox are able to continue to build a highly competitive roster, or not.

EDIT - let me clarify that I'm not a Ferry basher, as I was one of the people that wanted us to bring him back and praised the job he did in getting rid of Joe and Marvin, and Josh.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

Well, what I'm about to say is just speculation, but it's not blind speculation. I think Bud and perhaps Wilcox were the real talent behind the scenes that are responsible for the brilliant free agency moves that built this team more than Ferry was. We have to consider a few things:

1) We rightfully stocked up on salary cap space in an attempt to lure Howard and Chris Paul in 2013. That didn't happen. But it has been widely speculated and talked about that this was Ferry's vision - to lure a superstar here to build around.

2) The fallback plans that we now know happened were to sign Millsap and Carroll instead, match the offer to Teague, and get Korver resigned. We know from comments collected since then that Millsap and Carroll were players that either Bud had long admired (per Bud himself regarding Millsap) or that Wilcox had long kept an eye on (per Wilcox regarding Carroll). Same thing with Bud and Wilcox saying they've kept an eye on Baze. Same thing with Bud saying Korver was a great piece to build around when we convinced him to resign here, although Ferry was obviously on board with this and per Korver, Ferry's vision is the main reason he resigned here. The speculative conclusion is that these were mostly signings pushed for by Bud and/or Wilcox after the superstar plan failed to materialize.

3) We also know that Bud is the one that had to convince Pop to pull the trigger on the Kawhi trade.

4) This tells us that at least Bud, and probably Wilcox too, know what they are looking for, and what they are doing when it comes to veteran player acquisitions. (Hello Tim Hardaway). I'm sure Ferry was fully on board with these moves too, or they wouldn't have happened. But it seems that while Ferry, Bud, and Wilcox were able to come to the same final conclusions, it would appear that Ferry had a slightly different mentality for what would be a "best case scenario" for how to build a roster.

5) Just look at A. Payne for example. How his drafting and trade came about makes more sense if you look at it through the lens I've described. If Payne was Ferry's pick, and Bud and Wilcox weren't fully on board with it, then it's easier to see why he was never played and subsequently traded.

All of this is a long way of saying I think Bud is the real superstar in the front office. Not to take away from anything anyone else has done for us. But he's the guy that has identified players that he knew were going to be amazing fits and finds. Our draft picks havent' worked out so great. But our free agents have. This part is pure speculation: but perhaps Bud and Ferry weren't exactly on the same page with most of those draft picks. We saw what happened the first draft Bud was responsible for - the players they wanted were gone, he dind't see any players he wanted, so he punted it down to 19, then punted that into a player he thinks he can actually do something with. In years past with Ferry in charge, perhaps we would have stayed at 15 and picked a player that didn't really fit what we are looking for. Who knows for certain, but it's some food for thought. We'll know more over the next few years if Bud/Wilcox are able to continue to build a highly competitive roster, or not.

EDIT - let me clarify that I'm not a Ferry basher, as I was one of the people that wanted us to bring him back and praised the job he did in getting rid of Joe and Marvin, and Josh.

Makes no sense. Bud was hired May 28th, but was still in the finals in June. FAcy started July, so in the midst of the finals Bud was already thinking about signing Millsap and Carroll?

What did Korver say when he resigned "He believed in Ferry's vision."

Edited by JayBirdHawk