• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ressler: Hawks will spend over salary cap

JTB

Ressler said one way ownership will show its commitment is by “having a payroll that is between the cap and the (luxury) tax but never below the cap, having real payroll, having a commitment to keeping a quality team.”

Link:

http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/ressler-hawks-will-spend-over-salary-cap/nmnnX/

So as a Hawks fan....how do you see this changing things on what we will do in free agency?...personally the only thing I can think of is that money won't be an issue for once for the Hawks and that's huge! Ressler saying this publicly just got us an inch closer to a star player.

Great news!

So maybe we can afford both DMC, Millsap, and another 2nd-3rd tier free agent?

Should be able to get someone to improve the roster...it may not be gasol or LMA but if ressler is telling the truth we should be able to get two quality players if we can't grab a star.

Maybe we can get Danny Green and Kosta Koufus....that would be a huge upgrade

He can be willing to spend which is a good thing, the difficulty still exists in getting actual top FAs to sign with the Hawks.

It seems as if we are heading in the right direction with reports of players actually having us on short list.

Now it remains to be seen if pen is put to paper.

Ok, go sign a big time free agent to put the Hawks in position to compete with Cleveland etc.

Can't lie I'm with you!....put your money where ya mouth is Tony!

Prove your loyalty dammit! Us Hawk fans has been waiting on this for a while now.

• Like 1

He can be willing to spend which is a good thing, the difficulty still exists in getting actual top FAs to sign with the Hawks.

It seems as if we are heading in the right direction with reports of players actually having us on short list.

Now it remains to be seen if pen is put to paper.

Seems like we can atleast get a quality player....i wonder if ressler is only willing to go over the cap if it's a top free agent.

Is he willing to pay the lux tax for just more quality players that fit buds system?

Seems like we can atleast get a quality player....i wonder if ressler is only willing to go over the cap if it's a top free agent.

Is he willing to pay the lux tax for just more quality players that fit buds system?

He wont pay lux tax. Over cap under tax. Edited by rd79

Ressler said one way ownership will show its commitment is by “having a payroll that is between the cap and the (luxury) tax but never below the cap, having real payroll, having a commitment to keeping a quality team.”

Link:

http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/ressler-hawks-will-spend-over-salary-cap/nmnnX/

So as a Hawks fan....how do you see this changing things on what we will do in free agency?...personally the only thing I can think of is that money won't be an issue for once for the Hawks and that's huge! Ressler saying this publicly just got us an inch closer to a star player.

This changes NOTHING.

The previous owners also went over the cap but not over the luxury tax.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This article reads as a "well, duh" type of article.

So, we've been without ownership prepared to spend over the cap for a couple (sic) of years.

In light of that, please don't rain your cynicism on my parade when I learn that it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part that the new guys would do what ASG wouldn't do... and moreover, that they'd come out publicly and explicitly say they'd do it instead of speaking in very vague generalities about their commitment.

Otoh, I do find a striking error, though. The author (was it C-Viv... I didn't see a by-line...) asserts that the cap will be $67.1m as if it has already been announced as a certainty, not just a projection. Paid writers don't get a pass on that kind of imprecision in my book. Yes, I'm so very judgmental sometimes.