• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ressler: Hawks will spend over salary cap

JTB

So, we've been without ownership prepared to spend over the cap for a couple (sic) of years.

In light of that, please don't rain your cynicism on my parade when I learn that it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part that the new guys would do what ASG wouldn't do... and moreover, that they'd come out publicly and explicitly say they'd do it instead of speaking in very vague generalities about their commitment.

Otoh, I do find a striking error, though. The author (was it C-Viv... I didn't see a by-line...) asserts that the cap will be $67.1m as if it has already been announced as a certainty, not just a projection. Paid writers don't get a pass on that kind of imprecision in my book. Yes, I'm so very judgmental sometimes.

Yeah, C-Viv has been messing up a lot lately. He's not messing up on things related to the team (ie like the spoonfed reports he gets about a uniform leak, or that new ownership is coming in, or audio recordings, etc.). He's been messing up on CBA related things and there have been a lot of them lately. I think I saw his latest f*** up being that the 2nd round draft picks this year can't be in Summer League because they are under contract ......... uhh no Chris, a player can be under contract outside the NBA and still participate in Summer League. FFS this happened with Nogueira two freaking years ago! It happened with Edy LAST f***ing YEAR! Good God man, you've been a disgrace lately. Now it might be that the Hawks will not bring them over because the insurance on said contracts to participate in the Summer League are too high, but that's not what I read from Viv.

I believe I defended Viv the other day in reporting and he's making me look bad (while at the same time it's generally been me who points out where he f*cks up with the CBA stuff). The Salary Cap is not set at all, we will find out around July 8th for it's level. Further, he keeps calling Pero a restricted free agent but we don't know if that is true yet because no one has reported that Pero has received a Qualifying Offer (and not likely to find out until end of business tomorrow).

There is no scenario in which he COULD HAVE to pay the tax, unless I'm missing something (... cue @hawksfanatic to chime in, if I am.)

Yeah, it'd take multiple big trades from the Hawks to approach the Luxury Tax. It's not happening. Not because the team isn't *willing* or whatever but because it is functionally not possible through the CBA. Like, there's that whole dang Salary Cap and the available exceptions for the Hawks can only take them so far above the Salary Cap. Which really makes this article a "well, duh shithead of course that is what is going to happen" type of article. Especially if anyone has paid attention to the Salary Cap stuff I've been rambling on about.

• Admin

Willing to spend and getting a quality guy to come here are two different things.

Also, willign to spend does not mean we have to spend ... I like that over the last couple years we have been very smart with our cap room and it seems like we always have options. 

I don't want to overspend on someone and handcuff ourselves like other teams have done

• Like 1

Saw on Bleacher Report Team Stream a Vivamore tweet where he quoted Ressler saying that he always expects the payroll to exceed the cap and be close to the lux tax & it's an ownership requirement to spend the money necessary to be field a quality team. Time will tell if they truly put their money where their mouth is.

This group has plenty of cash though hopefully Bud finds the right players to give it too.

Hey Mr Ressler, instead of talking going over cap this year (since you can't). How about that D-League team?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Maybe he should he learn the dumbest set of rules ever created before making a claim. This isn't a slight on anyone, but the league itself. The worst salary cap structure ever seen.

Maybe he should he learn the dumbest set of rules ever created before making a claim. This isn't a slight on anyone, but the league itself. The worst salary cap structure ever seen.

I ,for one, am happy to see you broadening your negativity to something some of us can agree with you on.