• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

*If* this is the roster, then there is *no one* whose off-season work is more consequential to our success than MIKE SCOTT's

sturt

• Premium Member

First, conventional wisdom says none of the non-roster players from SL is going to crack our rotation and get substantial minutes.

Second... stating the obvious at this point... someone's got to back-fill the minutes at SF.

That could mean Korver playing more SF with Sefolosha, and Hardaway rotating with Bazemore and maybe Holiday at SG. But in the opinion of many of us, we certainly benefit when Korver can play SG.

So the question becomes, can Mike Scott do work this off-season that will allow Bud ultimately to give him some SF minutes? Can he shed about 10-15 lbs and get down to a more SF-like 225? Are there exercises he can do that will increase his lateral quickness, and potentially allow him to better defend the perimeter? (I don't know that.) If he can even just become an average defender out there, it significantly increases the flexibility in what Bud can throw at the other team.

And yes, @RandomFan, I know the optimism implicit in this post makes you ill. Sorry about that. smile3.gif

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think Korver could play SF if we play THJr or Baze at the 2.  However, I don't see Sef playing 2 at all.  When he comes back, he will join in the rotation at 3.

But you're right... Scott is equipped to play some Sf.

• Premium Member

I'm not seeing where we are deficient if everyone is healthy.   Korver, Baze, Thabo, Hardaway and Holiday is plenty to man the two wing positions.

I think you really have to find a replacement for Thabo sooner than later.  Not just the injury.  His age.  I think that we should have these young guys.... maybe THJr.. maybe Holliday who will be groomed to replace him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm not seeing where we are deficient if everyone is healthy.   Korver, Baze, Thabo, Hardaway and Holiday is plenty to man the two wing positions.

How about "ample?" I can't get to "plenty," but I can get to "ample." :)

As said in the OP, Korver and Thabo have SF body frames, but Korver's advantage in playing SG is stout enough that I really, really, don't want to see him having to play there all that much.

• Premium Member

I think you really have to find a replacement for Thabo sooner than later.  Not just the injury.  His age.  I think that we should have these young guys.... maybe THJr.. maybe Holliday who will be groomed to replace him.

Why do people talk about Thabo's age like its a factor?  He is 7 months older than Splitter and 8 months older than Millsap!blink.png

• Like 1

For some reason, Mike Scott went from the best Hawks bench player, to no playing time in the playoffs. For all the good Bud has done, he has done NOTHING with the front court that inspires my confidence in him. From shipping Payne out, to not playing Moose enough, to benching Scott, letting Pero even suit up, lol, much less getting max playing time, and not playing Brand...........

Edited by atlhawks1

• Premium Member

And so, the reason you admire your own assessment over that of someone regarded highly enough to be employed as a coach... a head coach, at that... in the most prestigious basketball league in the world... is.... ?

• Premium Member

Scott dealt with some injuries at the end of the year. I think a lot of us forget how important he was for us when he is healthy. Look at our home game against Golden State--his offense was a big reason that we won that game.

It appears that he will be back, and I too hope he can return in great shape and able to play where we need him to play.

For some reason, Mike Scott went from the best Hawks bench player, to no playing time in the playoffs. For all the good Bud has done, he has done NOTHING with the front court that inspires my confidence in him. From shipping Payne out, to not playing Moose enough, to benching Scott, letting Pero even suit up, lol, much less getting max playing time, and not playing Brand...........

Well let's back up for a minute....before Scott's injury yes he could very well have been considered our best bench player but after the injury when bud played Scott, Scott didn't perform well once he came back. His shot was off after missing a month of basketball due to a broken toe and we were getting ready to enter the playoffs.

So you have player who you know can shoot the ball but after breaking his toe we all could obviously see that he was off his game and never recovered for the rest of the season due to that injury. Bud had very good reasons not to play him after the toe injury

From my own personal opinion of Scott is that he's one of those players that don't do well after a critical injury. That Damn big toe threw the mans whole game off. We lost value in Scott at end of the season but he will be healthy and back to normal next year

• Like 1

Scott dealt with some injuries at the end of the year. I think a lot of us forget how important he was for us when he is healthy. Look at our home game against Golden State--his offense was a big reason that we won that game.

It appears that he will be back, and I too hope he can return in great shape and able to play where we need him to play.

Agreed! I think if anything Scott proved two things this past year.

1. If I'm healthy I can contribute to the team in a big way

&

2. The slightest injury will throw my whole game off if it's bad enough where I miss quite a bit of time.

After Scott's injury he wasn't the same and once he missed so many shots, as a rhythm shooter , it got in his head and he regressed. The fact that he is still on this team shows to me that Bud expects him to have a role next season. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Agreed! I think if anything Scott proved two things this past year.

1. If I'm healthy I can contribute to the team in a big way

&

2. The slightest injury will throw my whole game off if it's bad enough where I miss quite a bit of time.

I wouldn't pretend to understand how slight a given injury was. If one thing has become clear this off-season to me, it's that there is an internal expectation among the players on this roster that they don't publicly acknowledge injuries as excuses for bad performances.

Well let's back up for a minute....before Scott's injury yes he could very well have been considered our best bench player but after the injury when bud played Scott, Scott didn't perform well once he came back. His shot was off after missing a month of basketball due to a broken toe and we were getting ready to enter the playoffs.

So you have player who you know can shoot the ball but after breaking his toe we all could obviously see that he was off his game and never recovered for the rest of the season due to that injury. Bud had very good reasons not to play him after the toe injury

From my own personal opinion of Scott is that he's one of those players that don't do well after a critical injury. That Damn big toe threw the mans whole game off. We lost value in Scott at end of the season but he will be healthy and back to normal next year

I thought he was 100 percent in the playoffs. My bad. Good post.

Edited by atlhawks1

Hate to say this for Scotty fans...and it's just my humble opinion...but:

Scotty is/was a guy who filled a role during the transition between what Ferry/Bud/Cox had and what they really want to have.  A short armed tweener backup forward with only moderate athletic ability who can occasionally get "hot" isn't in the plan.  Add to that borderline defense and he is either "out" or on his way out.

I hope he is traded and does well somewhere and gets another contract...we will miss him in the chat.

You never can tell...maybe Bud actually knows how to evaluate talent...something we simply aren't used to as Hawks fans.  His team did win 60 games and he was coach-of-the-year.  Makes one think?  Hmmmm.....

Hate to say this for Scotty fans...and it's just my humble opinion...but:

Scotty is/was a guy who filled a role during the transition between what Ferry/Bud/Cox had and what they really want to have. A short armed tweener backup forward with only moderate athletic ability who can occasionally get "hot" isn't in the plan. Add to that borderline defense and he is either "out" or on his way out.

I hope he is traded and does well somewhere and gets another contract...we will miss him in the chat.

I think people forget that Scott was a 2nd round pick. I doubt there was any plan for him at all he just so happened to outperform his draft status and play his way in to the regular rotation. He is not a disappointment or overrated or underachiever. In fact he is the truest definition of an overachiever.

But hey, new season new whipping boy. Pero and Jenkins are gone so its time to crap on Scott for the next 12 months. Next in line are Sefolosha and Bazemore

• Like 2